• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

You very first firearm

Started by trailtwister, November 10, 2015, 08:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

I grew up on a mid Michigan farm with a once in a while hunting father. He did small game and once every blue moon the urge got him to buy a box of slugs and hunt for a deer.
I grew to want to hunt I listened to Uncles on my mother side talk of many hunting tales and I Just wanted to do the same. I used dads 16g single shot for a very long time to hunt small game and a old raggedy Ivers Johnson 410 when dad wanted to hunt.
I used that Ivers Johnson 410 my first year deer season 1963. For Christmas that year My folks saw I was going to hunt and they decided to get me a used rifle a Winchester 94 30-30. My first fire arm, dad was buying reloads from a fellow he worked with which I shot a lot of. When deer season 1965 rolled around I got my very first buck with that rifle and the reloads on opening day.
I missed 1966 deer hunting in Michigan, the game had higher stakes in Viet Nam that year. I was home in 1967 and went AWOL to deer hunt.
That was my only deer rifle till 1970. I still have it and hunt with it some. That gun earned a name after 1970 because it was what I carried if it was raining or snowing the family calls it my slumming gun.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

FinsnFur

My first firearm was Westpoint model 434,  22 single shot made by Savage Arms. My father whom squirrel hunted with it, taunted me with it until I was juuuuust about to turn 12. Then handed it down to me as a birthday gift.  :biggrin:
Still got it. I love the gun and shes takin plenty of squirrels with me behind it also.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

Remington 510 Targetmaster, single shot bolt gun... was my constant companion for many years... killed a pile of different species, both game and non game species... it got lost from my moms place during the time I was in the service...     :shrug:   sure do miss that old rifle...    :pout:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

FOsteology

My first centerfire was a Marlin 336 30-30

nastygunz

Winchester single shot break open .410!  I got that for my 10th birthday and after that they had to drag me out of the woods year-round.

centerfire_223

My first gun was a .410 that was my grandfathers. Passed down to my dad and now on to me. I was 5 the first time I ever got to shoot it and the very next day got to kill a squirrel with it. The first gun my dad bought me of my own was a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06. I still have it today, and will never get rid of it. It hasn't been hunted with in 20 years.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

riverboss

My first gun was a Stevens single shot 410 I got at 6 by the time I was 10 I had a 22 and the use of a Sportsmans 58 12 ga. That thing kicked the crap out of me but I loved it.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Okanagan

My first firearm that I owned was a Savage 340 carbine in 30-30.  My Dad gave it to me when I was 12 and I loved it as much as a man can love wood and metal.  I killed my first big critter with it when I was 15, a spike elk, then a fork horn mule deer a year later when I was 16.  Killed several blacktails with it in Coastal California and each of my two sons used it to kill his first big game animal.  One of my grandsons has it now. 

JohnP

Win Model 12, 16 gauge.  Dad bought it with his "mustering out" pay at the end of WWII.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

riverboss

Quote from: Dale on November 25, 2015, 07:00:19 PM
Remington 510 Targetmaster, single shot bolt gun... was my constant companion for many years... killed a pile of different species, both game and non game species... it got lost from my moms place during the time I was in the service...     :shrug:   sure do miss that old rifle...    [emoji14]out:
I have one of those a friend gave me! I've only shot a few shorts out of it, I may have to see how it shoots.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Dale

Quote from: riverboss on November 27, 2015, 04:32:24 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 25, 2015, 07:00:19 PM
Remington 510 Targetmaster, single shot bolt gun... was my constant companion for many years... killed a pile of different species, both game and non game species... it got lost from my moms place during the time I was in the service...     :shrug:   sure do miss that old rifle...    [emoji14]out:
I have one of those a friend gave me! I've only shot a few shorts out of it, I may have to see how it shoots.
mine was a tack driver, I even had it drilled for a scope base, put some kind of cheap 4 power on it and wore the animals out...
shorts, I lived and died by the short... a penny a piece or less, I'd keep some LR HP's around for big game {ground hogs} but birds, cats, rats etc were all capped with shorts...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

nailbender

My first was Sioux single shot 410. Bought it from my uncle for 8 dollars when I was 8 yrs. old. Still have it.

weedwalker

My 1st gun was an Ithaca 20 gauge single shot. It had the lever like a 30-30 to break it open. I was 10 years old at the time. The gun was at a local bait-n-tackle store. I would ride my bicycle down there several days a week and look at it on the rack. I cut grass or other odd jobs all summer saving my money to buy it. The price on it was $29.99 and I think it was around the year 1969. By the end of summer I had saved $30 and rode my bike down to see the man about that gun. I told him I was there to buy it and gave him the $30. He handed me the gun and said it also comes with a box of shells. He was just being nice. After probably a hundred trips that summer to look at it, he knew I was saving money to buy it and probably told everybody else it was already sold.
Who would think back then a 10 year old kid could ride in on a bicycle and buy a gun over the counter?
When I got home with the gun, my Dad ask me what I was going to do with it. I said I'm going huntin'. He was a fisherman and never hunted much. He didn't even have a gun at the time. He then said, "well, I guess I'll go get a gun too so we can hunt". And we hunted or fished together the rest of his life.

JohnP

"I think it was around the year 1969."

Just was finishing up my third tour in Vietnam.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Coulter

Marlin 25N .22 Semi Auto here. My Dad bought it for me when I was late teens/early twenties. Can't hunt with them here in PA, so it doesn't see much action. He also gave me a Fox Sterlingworth SxS 12 GA that I hunted with when I was 12. Never really killed anything with that gun, but it will be in the safe until it gets handed down to one of my own kids.

Steve