• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First

Started by pitw, November 11, 2015, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

This morning I got to take my Donny out looking for an antlerless moose.  We first hear two bulls scrapping about 1/2 a mile away and they were fair sized.  Then we saw this guy.

Shortly afterwards the lad did this with a two year old dry cow. :yoyo:

Neighbor I had been baby sitting cows for the past ten days picked a good time to show up. :yoyo:

The two lads getting after it. :yoyo:

A decent chunk of meat for $47 Can. :yoyo:

243 is not toooooooooooo small. :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Bobby boy found 3 moose and one elk antler :yoyo:

Donny only found two moose sheds. :yoyo:

Me  :shrug:

and I got some things to play with.

In total the family saw 12 moose, 40+ muleys, 17 WT, 4 coyotes, 9 ruffies and a bunch of cool stuff. :yoyo:

My job as a teacher is now done as I've been out for the first moose with all the kids.[Maybe I can trick the wife into getting one :wo:]  I can say it has been a fun school and I'm gonna miss it. :sad:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Congrats to the young man.

A lot of fat on that moose. I've only had moose a few times, but found it extremely tasty. 

Dale

looks like a good day for all involved... congratulations to the shooter for a good kill...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

HuntnCarve

Congrats to Donny!  And also to you Barry.  Looks like the lessons paid off.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Tell him congratulations on the moose.  It sure pays to have a tractor available when you knock down that sized animal.

Jerry

JohnP

Donny has done well, thanks to a good teacher.  Congratulations to both of you.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Yep, you taught em well. :eyebrownod:
I cant believe how big those Moose are. The bears are moving down here into Wisconsin. I wonder when the Moose will follow.

Nice Job Donny :highclap: :congrats: :thumb2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

coyote101

Way to go!  :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on the moose.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Oldest lad came home last night cause he wanted meat in his freezer. :wo:

Being lazy I went and stole a tractor from  the guy who owns the land where the moose lay. :biggrin:

Then the landowner shows up.  :huh:

He told Tevis he expects two moose roasts.  :congrats:

Same crew got her skinned, gutted and cleaned in 33 minutes.  Total elapsed time from leaving to hunt to done was 1 hour 43 minutes. :yoyo:

The moose was a mile and 1/4 from home and now I ain't gonna worry about hitting either one with my truck.  :wink:
teach your younguns and save money plus they can carry on for themselves. :wo:

Dale

most excellent... congratulations on another successful hunt...

what's the price for a nonresident moose license?... moose and elk are the last 2 on my bucket list...

pitw

In my wmu a non resident can't buy a license.  Most just do what I do. :wo:

pitw

FinsnFur

Tevis knew where to go to get freezer fodder :innocentwhistle:
Thanks for sharing that gig, love the pics.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

and what might that be?... have a local buy the license to shoot on?...

Carolina Coyote

Congratulations to the Lads, and yes the 243 is perfect on any game in the right hands , I have killed a lot of Deer and Hogs with my 243wssm. Have not Killed a Deer this year yet as I have been looking to get a shot of one that I have seen and he is a wall hanger, I have let several shooters walk that most  people would have shot but I know what is out there.
I have never had moose before and they are big animals and provide a lot of meals. Thanks for sharing the story with us. cc

pitw

Quote from: Dale on November 22, 2015, 10:23:51 PM

Poach and keep quiet. :innocentwhistle:

JohnP

Congratulations to both of them boys. 

You don't realize how big a moose is until you walk up to one with nothing in your pack except a buck folder.  Don't ask on how I know.......
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dale

Quote from: pitw on November 23, 2015, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: Dale on November 22, 2015, 10:23:51 PM

Poach and keep quiet. :innocentwhistle:

oh my I don't think I can do that... might be a bit difficult getting it across the border...

Okanagan

pitw, thanks for posting these stories of local hunts with your family.  I absolutely love them, seeing your family and how you go about it, the country where you live etc. 

It brings memories for me also of when we lived in the Interior of BC when my boys were growing up.    My best moose spot was 4 miles from home but our neighbor killed one in the alfalfa field beside our house one day while I was out moose hunting...   :doh2:

From the time it took to gut and skin, you boys sound like you know what you are doing. :highclap:

Several years ago I was in a Game Dept. office near Seattle to buy a license and a loud fellow was telling a spellbound audience a long story about the moose he had killed.  It was so big it had taken him and his friend 3 hours to gut it.   :alscalls: