• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Keeping kids interested

Started by Bills Custom Calls, November 22, 2009, 08:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

How do you folks keep kids interested in hunting
I have noticed when Kurtis and I are coyote hunting he is always ready to do the next stand
When deer hunting he wants to give up quicker unless we see a deer even though he hasn't shot at a deer.We have never called in a coyote when we were out

When Coyote hunting I let him do the calling
When deer hunting I let him carry the gun,He wants to shoot but nothing has presented itself for the shot while we are out

After about an hour of deer hunting all he wants to do is go back home but I make him wait for about another hour and as soon as we hit the door he hits the video games

I asked him about our trip to Kentucky last Feb when he hunted with us most of the day and never once said he was board and was always ready to go,he said he had alot of fun down there

Here I have alot of ground to hunt coyotes on but limited to just 30 acres for deer hunting
so it don't take long to cover that

I don't want him to get board to the point where he doesn't want to go anymore

I would like to hear what you folks do to keep it interesting for a young person when the wild game just doesn't want to cooperate
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Todd Rahm

Thats normal for kids that age Bill. Heck, my kids still do it from time to time but Wyatt who is now 11 seems to be taking it a lot longer these days.
The biigest thing that I keep Wyatt busy with is, for him to try to walk or move quieter then me.  :biggrin:

Just keep at it.

pitw

Bill, when I take my boys out hunting the taking of game drops by about 70%.  Just having them out to experience the outdoors is the biggest benefit. Donny who thinks 3 minutes on a coyote stand is long enough I try and keep occupied by having him make his own weapons from stuff he finds out there.  Bobby at 11 is getting much better but home isn't to far from his thoughts either.  With age comes patience so just relax and enjoy cause killing shouldn't be the top priority for a youngun.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

DS is a great invention for keeping kids on stand.....if they get bored they can play a game while they wait......they soon learn that the wait pays off BIG when a game animal shows itself.

Plenty of food, drink and the lack of a bathroom ( TP and such) is a must .....and when all else fails some sort of craft involving a pocket knife always gets their attention..... :eyebrownod:

If they still get bored I walk them around trying to show them the things we look for when scouting. Letting them call a little before we leave always gets them to stay a bit longer waiting for something to come in to the call.

When we get back a few practice shots at a cool target (like an egg) is a must so they will look forward to the next trip.

Usually by the time the return to the house they are sound asleep from a huge day of various things to do in the woods.

A ground blind or an enclosed tree stand is the best for hunting with kids as you can hide all the moving around.

Preparation is KEY and part of any hunt with a child should include asking Him or Her what They would like to do to stay out longer ...... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

Work on those skills when moving. Teaching them to read the stories left by nature will keep them entertained and looking and learning. Jimmie

msmith

WOW. Lot's of good responses. Shoot Bill, I'm still like that.

With my kids, I started by taking them before they could carry a gun. I would go where I could almost for sure see something and probablly be able to whack a doe before they got too bored. That way they could see before they got too bored, that success is attainable. After that, just like others said, ground blinds and hand held games, put them in good spots to at least see game, and let them be successful on something a little easier than deer or coyotes such as squirrels, while they are still young and impatient.

We have an advantage over you Bill as we are polluted with deer, mostly does, around here. That does make it a little easier.

Good luck and tell Kurtis to hang in there.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Jimmie in Ky

Msmith brought up another oportunity that we in rural areas often utilize all year long. In order to get quality time with our kids we have to take them with us while working fences or just checking the place. I used every oportunity to show my kids the wild world aaround us. I played with foxes and sounds while out with them and worked on their woodsmanship skills and mine while out there. We examined each and every one of natures curiosities while in the fields. 

And with one grandson already in the toddler stage I am getting a head start with him and can't wait for the other to join us in the fields as he grows into knee britches. Zack sat down and threw a fit yesterday when I told him we had to go back to the house. Hell I would have stayed but mammaw would have skinned me  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

FOsteology

Some good sound advice presented already.

Kids have short attention span and become bored quickly. You have to keep them occupied in a way that stimulates their curiosity and interest. It needs to be FUN, and at THEIR own pace. You press them too hard, or loose patience with them.... they'll not want to go out again.

My boys cut their teeth on shooting small game. Rabbits and squirrels mainly. I've taken mine calling, but never been successful on coyotes as the boys simply can't sit still and be utterly quite. Oh, we've called coyotes in.... getting the boys a shot is the problem!

Fox and raccoons are easy. Hunting them with kids would be my recommendation. They not only see animals, but have a much higher chance of connecting.

Unless hunting from a blind, it's real difficult to hunt deer and hogs with young kids. They move around too much, not quiet, and get bored extremely fast. When my boys were younger, we hunted from fixed ground and tower blinds, or have them help me scout out some areas and then set up pop-up blinds. Have them bring along a book or video game (with volume turned off!) some snacks and drink.... good to go! Make sure they stay warm with appropriate clothing, blanket if need be, and some hot chocolate!

Now that my boys are a little older, and have a few years under their belt, we've begun to still hunt. They have a better appreciation now as they've killed deer and hogs from a blind, and now on their own initiative and desire, want to make it a little more challenging.

Each kid will be different. Some will simply have little to no desire for hunting or the outdoors. The one's that do, will obviously develop their skills at their own pace. That's key..... don't force them, and don't push. Go at their pace and comfort level.

For shooting.... reactive targets are BEST! Setting up eggs, fruit, water jugs with food coloring, animal crackers (excellent for back yard Safari with BB gun!) asprin, clay birds, etc. Haven't found a kid (nor adult male for that matter!!!) that doesn't get a kick from seeing stuff blow-up/explode!

weedwalker

FOs made a good point Bill. When you take a young kid hunting, you're kinda on their terms for time. If you make them stay out longer than they want to where they don't enjoy it, they'll not want to go in the future. He's still on the young side. As he gets older your days out will get longer. Don't press him on it much. It's normal. Out of my 5 boys, most were in the 12-13 year old range before the all day hunts were possible.
I'll also throw in that squirrel hunting gets them excited about it quicker.