• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bow Hunting Turkeys

Started by cb223, February 12, 2008, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

How many of you guys use your bows to go after turkeys?

I really want to give this a try but I have a few questions.

Do you use the same setup( bow, broad heads, arrows ) as you do for deer?

Is it better to make a body shot or a head/neck shot?

I have been thinking about buying some of the Gobbler Guillotine broad heads. I would love to lop the head right off an old tom!!
CHAD

Silencer

Have you seen the vid's they have of them broadheads ???   AMAZING !!!!   

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_903392_Gobbler_Guillotine.htm

A couple years ago I brought my bow w/out using a blind, at the time I dont think PA allowed it.
It was pretty tough, I called a few into range but just couldnt seal the deal.
I used the same set-up I used for deer and  was going to take a body/heart shot.
My brother is hunting with bow only this spring, I hope he lets me call for him.

Them guillotine's have me sold though !!

cb223

There's got to be more than one you guys that hunt turkey with a bow.
CHAD

Roundman

I'll start off by saying I am not a turkey hunter. The area I deer hunt will allow you to take one turkey a year with a bow during deer season. I have shot three with my deer set up and had one run off with my arrow in it, and it was never found. The video of the turkey broad head is cool and all but the diameter of the head makes you shoot a full length arrow. I don't know many people that shoot a 30 or 31 inch arrow. Most hunters would draw the bow back only to  have the head hit the riser.

iahntr

Sorry must have missed this earlier. I am no turkey huntin pro by any means, I've only taken one with my bow. But I've done it for several years now.
The first few years I tried it without a blind, I'd recommend one  :eyebrownod:. I've called a lot in, some smaller, some hung up outta range, missed one etc. etc. Your deer set up will work just fine on turkeys. I'd prefer the body shot. I've seen the Guillotines, haven't looked into them much though.
Scott

MDM

im going with my normal deer set up this year , hopefully i'll get to tell ya how it worked in about 2 weeks  :biggrin:

CCP

Haven't shot a bow in a long time. Back when I hunted with a bow (8 to 10 years ago) I was fortunate enough to kill a turkey with it. It was extremely hard and got busted on the draw many times. I didn't use a blind back then. I think with a good blind it would have been much easier but still hard.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

topdawg

the  Guillotines  are nice but allways make sure you have a regular broad-head for back up.... you do get a few shots at them some times
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

FinsnFur

I dont think I could hit the wall let alone a Turkey...but I do love the concept
:yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

in NH there was a spring shotgun and fall archery season but last year they started a fall shotgun season in some areas. Both areas I live and hunt in have the fall shotgun season now. It is 5 days and the archery season is like 3 months. I have taken turkey with both compound and long bow. I pattern the birds as they are flocked up in the fall and the cover is more open. I usually go after em in the oaks and apples. I have a pop up blind but generally make field blinds with brush and such. I have gotten all of mine by ambushing them along their routes. I have never tried to call one into me while bow hunting. I figure if they are coming right at you it would be tough unless you used a blind. I use my regular deer rigs also.