• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Reloading for my AR-15

Started by bigben, March 09, 2016, 07:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I have shot this ar off bags and I'm thinking I can get .5moa or better with handloads on a good wind free day. 

I have picked up a box of 60gr vmax that are flat base which surprised me because I thought all vmax were boattails.  I started looking on midway and seen that there are 65 gr game king bullets.  I shoot a 55gr game king bullet out of my bolt gun and I am happy with the performance of these bullets on fox and coyote. 

I was wondering what you guys favorite bullet was with a fast twist that I can load in an ar mag?  I'm afraid that if I go above a 60 gr I'm going to have trouble getting the powder in the case and the bullet far enough in so my COL isn't too long. 

As far as powder I have h4895 and varget.  any thoughts or suggestions? 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

riverboss

My favorite load is a 60 gr hornady sp over varget I believe its 26.5 gr .
I prefer the sp over ballistic tips from hornady.
60 gr bullets just kill cleaner to me! No spinners.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

bigben

Is there a reason you prefer the soft points over the vmaxs?  if I go soft point it will probably be sierra. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

gravesco hunter

I don't own an ar in 223 mine is a 204,but I do own a 223 and I have my best luck with a 40 gr berger.I had a mini 14 and it also liked the 40

riverboss

I love nosler ballistic tips but not the black tip varmit ones.
They are a clone to the vmax which I don't like they are to thin jacketed for me.
Some swear by them but I'm the kind of guy who takes what ever shot is presented to me and want a bullet that will hold together on tough angle shots.
The sierras should be great but I found some 60 gr hornadys and had great luck with them.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

JohnP

Ben if you can find Accurate 2230 give it a try.  I use it with a 55gr Sierra HPBT and it will shoot consistently .5 or less at 100 yards.  However keep in mind it may not be the load but the expertize of the guy on the trigger. :laf:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Quote from: JohnP on March 12, 2016, 09:38:59 AM
However keep in mind it may not be the load but the expertize of the guy on the trigger. :laf:

That is so very true. 

bigben

Quote from: JohnP on March 12, 2016, 09:38:59 AM
Ben if you can find Accurate 2230 give it a try.  I use it with a 55gr Sierra HPBT and it will shoot consistently .5 or less at 100 yards.  However keep in mind it may not be the load but the expertize of the guy on the trigger. :laf:

I think i do well enough behind the rifle. 5 shot group 100 yds

CCP

Ben I shoot 60gr V-max with 26.8 grains Varget and 60gr Noslers with 23.6 grains H335. These have given me the best accuracy in my 1-7 twist AR barrel.

I have used Varget through the years in a lot of different .223 rifles and contender pistols and always had great accuracy in the upper limits of load data, another reason I like Varget is there is basically no way to over charge as max loads are compressed. I still maintained the same level of accuracy compressing 28 grains of Varget but a lot of trouble to get in case and with no gains in accuracy didn't see any reason in continuing as 26.8 fits tight and is accurate. That said The H335 just barely beat out the Varget in the Nosler bullet but not the V-max as Varget barely beat it out.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Frogman

My best loads through my Remington R-15 is 60 v-max in front of 25 grains of Benchmark!  7/8 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards!  I am also having good groups with the new CFE223 powder.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!