• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

May be offline for a few days

Started by Okanagan, April 26, 2020, 11:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Wife and I are moving into probably our last self care abode, an 850 sq ft apartment built into a large shop at our son's place.  Shop is the wrong term, more a big room with DIL crafts, space for big family events, etc. Separate building from son's house.  I will take down this computer this afternoon and don't know when I will get things set up to be online again, soon I hope.

20 years ago due to a health crisis, we moved from the last house we owned into a tiny furnished apartment near our hospital and from there bounced through furnished apartments so long that when we got a large house we just stuck everything in the garage and never unpacked much of it.  When we moved to the US from Canada over a year ago, we planned to have six weeks to sort and throw stuff but that got jammed into a 48 hour move.  As we loaded the big U-Haul truck, when I would pause over a box my son would say, "Dad, they have dumps and Goodwills in the US.  Put it in the truck."

So in the past three weeks we have eliminated at least 40 boxes of stuff, many old documents and files burned, some stuff tossed, much to Goodwill, plus sold or given several couches, furniture, clothes, etc.  I have wanted to do this to spare my kids! :biggrin: :huh:

JohnP

Your story sounds much like ours,  moved from a much loved home in the mountains to this damn city-suburban life - I hate it.  Getting old is not too much fun.  I told my wife my next move is to the crematory. 

Best wishes to you and your wife in your new environment.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

At least youll be near your son!  My problem when I get rid of stuff Is i tend to replace it   :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Not only is moving not fun, setting everything (especially electronics) back up is really not fun.

remrogers

I do believe that Betty Davis said it well. "Getting old isn't for sissies".

Okanagan

We like our new place, on a couple of acres halfway between two small towns, some huge trees, wind protected 3 miles from salt water, a large flower jungle garden right outside our front door. In the garden is a fire place and brick outdoor patio where the whole extended family often gathers.  We went from a panoramic view of the whole Olympic Range of mountains with deer on the lawn at times to a close up view of trees, flowering bushes, running fountain just outside the bay window, and deer on the lawn at times.

KySongDog

Glad you are settled in to your new home. It is amazing how much stuff builds up over time.

riverboss

Accumulating stuff is hard not to do. I lost my brother in 02 and my mom in 2012 all of there stuff is still sitting in my basement! I really need to do something with it.
Good luck with your new adventure I have no doubts you made a great decision!

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

nastygunz

I would be hitting that salt water up for some 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

JohnP

As long as I was on active duty we did not accumulate a whole lot of stuff, as we moved almost every two years and had a weight limit.  Now that we are retired we got more stuff than the second-hand store in town. 

I know that you will enjoy your new home and don't forget the pictures, would like to see the fireplace in the garden.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs