• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Craving a big chunk of meat

Started by Okanagan, November 24, 2009, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Traipsing around in the snow a few days ago I got to craving a big chunk of meat, not sliced or cut to eating size but a big hunk hot off the fire that I could bite off in big pieces.  OK, maybe that's weird.  I recalled big chunks of fat elk and sheep meat propped on willow sticks to grill over coals of an open fire, salting them and biting off chunks cave man style.  Have done that with deer ribs also, on the odd BIG deer that actually has significant meat on the ribs.

So... last night I found a leftover chunk of moose in the freezer, a slab of round roast nearly three inches thick, 4 wide and 8 inches long.  The grain of the meat ran true lengthwise all the way through it.   (We cut up our own meat).    I covered it with spices and Rudy's dry rub from the barbecue place in Texas,  and grilled it on my magnum expanding lid George Foreman Girl (our family's name for it).   When it was about 3/4 done I started biting mouthfull chunks off the end across the grain.  Zowie is that ever good!  It was hot enough to almost burn my lips.  My wife went elsewhere.  Weird but I love chewing off big hunks of juicy meat.  Guess I'm a carnivore.  Surely this does not rise to the level of a fetish or obsession... nah.  Undoubtedly there are weirder practices among us.  I feel good today, craving satisfied.  :biggrin:

bigben

that isn't weird at all.  I can recall camping this summer while cooking a nice thick cut steak I would cut off a piece off the end and try it out to see how it was going along.  as I went it seemed as if I had a plate warmer and never had to worry about my steak getting cold.  a few bites of steak along with some onions and mushrooms that were sizzling in the cast iron pan.  after I ate that steak (it must have been a 2 lbs) I forked the potatoe that was baking in the hot coals and noticed it was done.  I un wrapped it and sliced it and threw it in the pan along with the onions and mushrooms and added a bit for beer to the pan let it simmer a bit and ate the whole mess up.  washed it down with two more beers and went to bed fat and happy.  as I layed there in bed listening to the crickets chirp along with the spring peepers I couldn't have asked for a better day.  yep I know how it feels and I do it pretty regularly.  heck at camp I cooked up a whole deer tenderloin and we just kept slicing chunks off till we were done with it.  hot coals and everything.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Fetish or obsession?
I aint touching that....but it does sound good. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com