• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Minaskas Sidewinder

Started by browning204, April 22, 2008, 05:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Any body else have one of these? I just got mine in the mail today. I played with it (the decoy) for about 10 minutes after I opened the package up. It seems really well constructed and the motion that it has is cool also. I like how  it can be controlled from the remote of the Bandit.

It may just be the missing piece of the puzzle that I need to get them coyotes to commit for a shot.

Check it out if your needin a motion decoy.

Edit: to finish with pics and write up.

The MINASKA Sidewinder motion decoy is very light and is the same size as the Bandit E-caller, very easy to fit into a back pack or carry bag.

Here are all the pieces. The Topper (you will recieve 2 with rumor of more being offered later) the fiberglass rod, the patch cable and of course the box that houses the electronincs.

Here it is set up and plugged into the bandit so it can be controlled by the callers remote.

And when broken down while not in use, everything fits nicely inside the box. (good feature!)

The side winder decoy can be controlled by itself to be used with any caller or can be controlled by the aux button on the MINASKA  remote.

There are 2 motion settings. Random and 180 and various speed settings.

I have not used it in the field yet but plan to put my MINASKA  toys to work this fall.

I think that this is a great addition to you MINASKA caller or a great decoy to have along with any caller. For the asking price, it is a steal!

Hope this review helps anyone who might be in the market for a decoy.

EDIT to add:

Cute little girls love MINASKA products too!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

bigben

I have not seen one in person but I did like the action that the coyote tail provides.  that is if they are still using that.  I wish my jack in the box would be a bit smaller though.  that is the only thing i did not like about a decoy that size.  as far as being able to turn on the decoy with the remote I rarly even hook it up.  I have never seen a need too.  I wonder what others points of view is on being able to turn it on and off with the remote?
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

possumal

Bigben:  I can't speak for the Minaska product, but I assume it works a lot like the JIB.  Many times I have had a coyote respond to the sound I am using, but they hang up out there about 200 to 250 yds or so to take a look and listen.  That is when I turn on the JIB, including the built in squeaker voice, and they switch from audio to video and start stalking that darn thing. It is downright funny to watch the difference in how they act.  If you are calling with the wind, and have the decoy where the responding coyotes can see it a long way off, they can also hear that squeaker voice a long way with the wind, and they will come big time.  I seldom turn on the JIB and just let it keep wiggling and squeaking.  That will work sometimes, but you lose that ability to make them commit when hung up. All of that is IN MY OPINION, based on experience.  It is not the only way to operate.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

browning204

I doubt that I will see a Coyote hanging up 200 yards as I hunt in thick stuff, but I am thinkin that the Coyote or Fox or whatever will see the motion while looking for the sound source and commit rather than bark or bust out from a top secret location.

If that don't work, at least I have a cool toy to get my dog worked up! :wink:

possumal

Browning 204: I hope it helps you kill some yotes.  I seldom if ever use a decoy in thick cover, as I don't feel the effort justifies the results.  I tend to stand up when hunting the thick stuff or use a 10 ft. lightweight ladder stand.  You don't have to get very high to sometimes make a big difference in what you can see in the woods. In fact, sometimes if your ladder stand or other tree stand is too high, you can't see as well as a modest elevation.  Just do what helps you the best in your location.  If I were using a decoy in thick stuff, I'd have a tendency to try something like the Whirling Woodpecker and have it 4 or 5 feet off the ground to increase the chance Wiley could see it.  I have some sounds on my FX-5 with a lot of ground struggle noises mixed in which works rather well in thick cover. If a coyote thinks a fox has caught a rabbit, fawn, or turkey, he won't hesitate to come in to take it away from him.  In areas where there are wolves, he would probably  hesitate to rush in, but where he is at the top of the food chain, he'll rush in quickly to get the invader of his territory.  Good hunting at ya!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

browning204

Thats a good idea Al, maybe I will put it up on a stump to get it a bit of the ground. As I said this is just a trial to see if it indeed causes the critters to commit or hang up longer instead of just run by's or busting me so quick.

Jim, I will put some pics up when I have a chance.

browning204

FinsnFur

Better keep your eye on her Dad :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I wish I could afford one of those high dollar E-callers I just use my homemade one and mouth calls. I like the ground noise thing I have been busted kicking my feet in the leaves before to try and get the same effect.
my E-caller keeps shorting out or something right now and I think I am going to have to get a new amp plus no remote control  :nono: I think I wil stick to mouth calling until I can afford a fox pro or something els.
I like em all but dang $$$$$$$$$ kills me right now.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

browning204

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 20, 2008, 07:47:24 PM
Better keep your eye on her Dad :wink:

Tell me about it!

As you can see she was not wearing her best modeling outfit. She was wearing her " I played out side all day and had some fun with my food" clothes.

Oh well she is cute clean or dirty!!