• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Scouting Mission / Trapline Prep (Adirondacks)

Started by Coulter, October 06, 2013, 09:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Well I'm back from the scouting mission...it was very productive, albeit wet. We drove in around 10:30pm and set up camp. We woke to a coyote serenade across the road that spurred another coyote to sound off not 100 yards from us. I grabbed my .22 and put the pup in his kennel, they came closer but never did show themselves. I'm sure we'll be meeting again. Here are a few pictures of some of the line for the season...

This is a pond I spotted a moose munching on some lunch a while back. There are beaver in here as well, and possibly some otter. More importantly there's a huge swath of blackgrowth just west of the pond that has a some pretty large cliffs on one side and hardwoods on the other side. It seems like some fantastic edge habitat.

This is the "Tuning Fork" leaning pole I couldn't resist. I will be knocking branches off in season prior to setting the trap, I left my axe in the truck for this section and opted for the camera instead. The second picture is a bit of blowdown that I plan to build a ground cubby not far from the the Tuning Fork Leaning Pole set.

Here are a couple more prospective sites that I already have modified and ready to place a trap on...

I'm pretty certain the beaver have vacated this lovely home. There are some other prospects in the area though. And my scouting / camping partner for the trip. He's actually my waterfowling buddy, but I figured he could use some time in the woods.

This is close to the section that coyotes were making there presence known. Looks pretty good for some otter / mink / beaver as well.

This is another section altogether on a different tract, it looks pretty good, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to work it into the line or not. I did run into the district Conservation Officer while I was there and got the low down on trapping pressure. He did say not many guys go back into where I was. There are plenty of fisher in there...marten? not so much. That's good info to know.

So all in all, it was a good trip. I located every bit of black growth in this area and have it all worked into a line at this point. I will weed out some of the marginal looking areas, and have already eliminated some. I did prep a few leaning poles at varying degrees, anything from about 15 degrees hanging on a stump, to 45 degrees, to nearly vertical. I'll mix it up and see what works the best for me. I would have made more leaning poles and a few cubbies, but it pretty much rained all of day two. I didn't feel like being soggy this early in the game and possibly getting sick before the season opens up. If I'm going to get sick due to weather I will make it worthwhile.

Steve

Coulter

Hmmmmm, not sure why all those pics came out large and fuzzy but one? :confused: That's not what they look like on photobucket. Anyway, you guys get the idea...sorry about the crappy pics.

Steve

FinsnFur

Man I'm seeing a lot of downed trees that would make nice firewood :eyebrow: And I like the lunch munchin Moose :laf:
Thanks for takin us a long. Cant wait to see the harvest pics. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rick Howard

I love it up there.  It's way bigger than most folks realise
Formerly known as itzdirty

Dave

Nice! 
Looking forward to reading more!
There's some nice color in those hardwoods in your first and last pics.   Trees are just starting around here.

nailbender

Looks like some great country to disappear in for awhile!  Can't wait for the catch pics.

Coulter

Yep, it's waaaay bigger than I ever realized. I go to one area to trap and hunt and a completely different area to climb the peaks...that's another 2 hours away!

And I can't wait to take those pictures of the catches :biggrin:

Speaking of disappearing, there have been a few people that have come up missing up there. Some of the trailheads still have there photo and information.

Steve

Rick Howard

I copied this from the website

The Adirondack Region is one of the most diverse destinations on the East Coast, offering unparalleled outdoor recreation throughout its dazzling lakes, wild mountains, and charming towns and villages. Established in 1892 by the State of New York amid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region, the Adirondack Park today covers an area larger in size than New England, and more expansive than Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon and the Great Smokies National Parks combined, and is the largest park in the lower 48 states

Coulter

Well that's some interesting information, I had no idea. Man, I'd love to pick up some property up there...but it is $$$$ and a bit far from home to make it worth the investment. That and the property taxes in New York are astronomical :holdon: I'll stick to my wall tent.

Steve

Hawks Feather

Nothing like a little pre-season scouting to get a person ready for trapping season.  Take lots of images so we can go along on your next trip there too.

Jerry

Coulter

Will do Jerry...here are a couple teaser pics until I get back in December. You may remember these from the last trapping trip I took up there.

Steve

Rick Howard

Yeah NY gets you anyway they can too.  Nice looking setup.  I'm looking forward to the trip for you.