• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Look At This Bad Boy........

Started by DirtyDog, May 04, 2007, 08:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Found her on my grill cover. Guess she was hungry.

bigben

yikes where bouts you from?  we only have brown recluses here and them damn wolf spiders.  wolf spiders are not poisonous but hurt like heck mainly when they get big
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

awh

Here at work we had an order come through last year in which the customer supplied some of the material. WE found and killed several black widows. Now the phone company hates us as when they have to come and do any work they go to the control box and say it's always got 2-3 of them in it.
I keep a dead one in a bottle here at my desk. The ladies in the office hate it...LOL
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

DirtyDog

I live in the Middle TN area. I am originally from Ohio, and I never in my life thought I would ever see one up close like that.  :shck:

Bob D

They are common here in Dixieland. They like to live under stuff like grills and water troughs.

FinsnFur

What were ya doing firing up the frill at 8:00 am?  :laf:

I dont think I've ever seen a live one, I do know I dont care to though. What'd you do with it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Braz

Out west here they are all over. If I leave my RV sitting for a month or two, I have to be careful when I go back. It will always have a few around. Picking up boards in the yard, or moving a box that has been sitting, you will often find them. They are all over.
Braz

Nelson

Sit lightly when you're in the outhouse also!  :eyebrownod:

Nelson

Hawks Feather

Spiders are just kinda nasty when they don't stay FAR away from me. 

Jerry

KySongDog

A Brown Recluse worries me more than a Black Widow.  I've seen some Recluse bites and they are NASTY!   :shck:

Ladobe

Of interest maybe the female Black Widow's venom is about 15 times more potent than that of a rattlesnake.   While some people who were susceptible to arachnid venom have died from their bites, the dose is so small that most healthy people only have to deal with the pain and minor swelling.

Here on the Mojave BW's are very common around homes, along with the Brown Recluse, Tarantulas and several species of scorpion's.   I get bitten by BW's or stung by scorpions several times a year usually, but neither bothers me at all anymore.   Doc says its because I have been bitten by a rattlesnake and so many times by the others that I have some sort of immunity built up.   Same thing with poison oak/ivy/sumac... got them bad so many times in my youth I can rub them on my skin now and not get much of a rash.   Pissed my ex off when she washed my outdoor clothes and got a rash off them often (until I started washing them myself to protect her).

But....

I got nailed in my sleep about 1991 by a Brown Recluse right in the center of my chest bad enough that it woke me up.   And it took close to a year before the large open and raw wound finally healed over and stopped weeping.   It left a scar.

And about 30 years ago I got nailed by a scorpion on a quail hunt in Old Mexico that put me in the hospital (in Phoenix) and almost killed me.   Still wear a faint scar the size of a golf ball on my thigh from that one.

Larry

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

DirtyDog

Wow..........don't you just love spiders.   :rolleye:

CrossJ

Black Widows and Fiddlebacks(Brown recluse) are common here also. Find them the same places as was stated above. When my kids were real small, I would pay to have the house sprayed once a month. We also have scorpions, they are nasty little things. Their stings are about like a wasps; hurts like heck for a while, but usually not lethal.
Ladobe, I thought the more times you were exposed to poison ivey, the less immune you became to it. I know I never used to get it as a kid, but now if I come into contact with it, I have a mild breakout.
Maintain, Geordie

Bopeye

I caught a big Black Widow last year under my front step. My son was 4 years old at the time and he was the one that found it.  :whew:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 04, 2007, 10:06:21 AM
What were ya doing firing up the frill at 8:00 am?  :laf:

I dont think I've ever seen a live one, I do know I dont care to though. What'd you do with it?

I was too concerned about the picture, that it got away while I was putting the camera away.  :rolleye:

FinsnFur

:roflmao: ahhhhh geeez. Keep your shoes on , could get scary :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

I got nailed by some kind of spider a couple years ago in late Aug while hanging tree stands. Never did find out for sure what it was that bit me. Doc just said it had to be a spider. Damn thing made me very sick for about three days. Swelled up, leaked crap out of the wound for almost three weeks. And was so sour I couldn't touch it. I sure hope I don't get it again!

Brent

Arkyyoter

We have Brown Recluse spiders here.....bad little suckers!!

Joe