• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cz 550 help

Started by Rick223, July 28, 2006, 09:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick223

A friend of mine just bought a cz 550 varmint he reloads and tried alot of different recipes and different seatings and he can not get it to shoot very well at all, is anybody here familiar with this type of gun have you had problems reloadin for it?

Rick
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

RagnCajn

What caliber is this rifle? What is the twist rate? what bullet is he trying? Is the barrel floated?

There are very few Bolt actions out there that won't shoot accurately. Most all that won't has an integrity problem or has the wrong bullet for the rate of twist.

Give those answers and I am sure someone can help. Randy
"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at."

Rick223

I didnt get to many details Ill check with him then repost the question.
Thanx Rick
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Basshole

If it is the CZ 550 in .22-250, he may have a hard time getting anything heavier than 45 grains to shoot decent.  Mine sure doesn't like anything heavier, it is the only one out of the 7 CZ'z I have that was tough to find a load for.

Rick223

Yep thats what he has (22-250) havent seen him yet. But when I do Ill post more I would like to help him out he is a good s&#@. :biggrin:

Basshole

Let me know what weight bullets and powder he's been using and I'll see if I have any recipes he hasn't tried yet.  Also, what kind of groups is he getting?  What may have been good for me may not be good enough for him.  Anyway let me know when you hear from me.

Rich Cronk

I believe that the CZ550 will shoot well. It may take a little fooling around with the bedding though.  Just the other day, I was reading about some  testing of a few new rifles. None of them shot as well as expected, and that included a new Sako. I'm afraid that most gun company's are pushing their workers too fast these days. Most of the problems seem to be in barrel channel fit or hard trigger pull.

Rick223

Thanks Rich I havent seen my bud yet to get more details but that advise will help.
Rick :biggrin:

kvgb

the guy with the cz 550 was trying my reloads last week. i reloaded them for my mossburg 1500 22 250, and touch at 200 yards, the load is 41g h380-noz 40g blistic tip, set at 2.339, the best load for my gun, but needs fine tuning for the cz 550.

Basshole

The 40gr should shoot fine out of the CZ, what size groups was he getting? Quarter, half dollar, baseball or worse?  The CZ should already be free floated, was he using the set triger?

Rick223

Well talked to him yesterday he has tried 40 grain nosler ballistic tips
hes useing 41 grains h380 , I told him to check the barrel and stock.
Hes getting baseball size groups. I forgot to ask what his twist is though. :shrug:

Basshole

The twist is 1:14, have him check to make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock on one side or the other as I've seen several CZ's do this.  If it isn't have him try the old folded matchbook under the barrel to create a pressure point, just put it under the barrel and shoot a few shots if it doesn't get better move it a little ways back towards the receiver and try again.  Let us know if it helps.

FinsnFur

I got an idea that might be a little far out there.
Give him this link www.finsandfur.net/forums :innocentwhistle: :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rick223

Thanks Basshole

I told him to check the barrel and stock ,but if the match cover thing works just leave it or is there a better fix?
Thanks again for the help guys :biggrin:

Rick

Basshole

If the match cover works you'll want replace it with some sort of permanent pressure point.  The match cover won't last long, it is just an easy way to find the proper point at which to place the permanent pressure point.

Rick223

Ok thanks basshole i talked to him yesterday were gonna go to the range and fool around with it.
Rick

Basshole

Hey Rick, did you guys ever get the 550 grouping any better?

Rick223

Well I talked to him a couple of days ago and he said the stock was touchin the barrel about half way up the foregrip so hes gonna get that fixed then were goona hit the range. :wink: