• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Any experience w/ illuminated scopes?

Started by vvarmitr, July 31, 2007, 03:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

I'm talking about those scopes that have cross hairs not the ones that have a glowing dot, iffen the batteries have a charge. :iroll:

Pros/Cons for use on a coyote rifle? :shrug:

FinsnFur

I've got a Barska Illuminated reticle (Cross Hairs) and I love it.
It's vairable power. During the day you can crank er up to 10 and she's fine, at night you want 1 through five or you burn out the target.

Finding the center of the hairs is much quicker even though you'd think it couldnt be any quicker then the intersecting lines. It is!

Cons?..none other then some freak at the factory left his grubby thumb mark on the inside of my scope lens, so when I crank it up to 10, Im looking through a thumbprint.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Geeze Jimbo, you must be the only one that has one?  :shrug:

I was thinking about going w/ a 30mm tube w/ a 50/56mm objective for light gathering.  I want side parralax adjustment w/ 3-12X or 4-16X.  Plus I want a mil-dot reticule or better yet the BDC by Nikon. I'm thinking that would be teats on my CDM. ;yes;
I've been noticing that the scopes of this type often are illuminated. So I got to wondering. :wo:

FinsnFur

Maybe I'm the only one smart enough?  :innocentwhistle:
yeah yeah thats it.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

Er maybe you got it cheap enough. :wo:

Like in a trash can at the rifle range.  :laf:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Actually it wasn't very expensive at all. $90 bucks I think from MS Sports  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

:holdon: Back to a more serious question ... do you have to have the scope "ON" to see the reticule?  :shrug:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FOsteology

No, you don't have to turn it on in order to see the reticle. The reticle looks the same as on any other scope. The difference is, when it's turned on it illuminates the reticle.

One thing I have found with the US made optics with this feature (Leupold, Burris) is that there's only two settings (high/low) and the lowest setting to me is still too bright. It does effect one's night vision initially, and the illumination will allow one to see the reticle..... but loose sight of the animal! At least, this is what I have found while hunting feral hogs at night.

The European illuminated scopes are far superior. Their rheostat allows for several brightness settings which doesn't affect one's night vision, and you can see both the reticle AND the game animal. Only down side.... $$$$$$.

vvarmitr

Well, I think I found my scope ... Pentax Lightseeker 4-16 X 50mm, side focus, 30mm tube, matte finish, & Ballistic Plex reticle. In the Midway catolog they have it at $600.  Now I've heard rumor that Pentax is made by Burris? :shrug:
I found another scope made by Leaper for about $100. :huh: ....  :wo: ....  :noway:

Thanks Jimbo & FO. I may just try an illuminated in the furure.  ;yes;  My biggest problem w/ 'em is the battery thing. Hate Red dots for that very reason. Some swear by 'em.  :bowingsmilie:   I swear at 'em! :mad2:

FOsteology

Some of the Pentax scopes are assembled by Burris..... not made!

The battery on an illuminated scope is no big deal. They will last a long time.... as long as one doesn't leave it turned on all the time! You can also purchase a spare battery and place it under one of the scope turret covers.

Also..... should the battery die and you have no spare, you can still see the reticle as it's the same as on any other scope. It just won't light up of course.

vvarmitr

Quote from: FOsteology on August 20, 2007, 12:20:41 PM
the reticle as it's the same as on any other scope. It just won't light up of course.

Good point. :readthis:

weedwalker

Quote from: vvarmitr on August 20, 2007, 10:30:53 AM
I found another scope made by Leaper for about $100.
I'd stay away from Leaper. I've had one before. :puke: The scope tube is about as thin as a Pepsi can and they are easily bumped out of alignment. Just tightening the scope rings will crush the tube. :rolleye:

FOsteology

Aside from the BIG $$$$ Euro optics, the one scope I would consider (and have had one) is the Burris Fullfield II 3.5-10x50mm LRS Ballistic Plex. You can get one for under $400.

I hunt the night on a regular basis here in Texas. Mainly for feral hogs. The Nikon Monarch Gold,  Leupold VX-III and Zeiss Conquest scopes with a German #4, or Post and Duplex reticle would work ok..... but I like the lighted reticle. The Burris worked the best out of all the other brands/scopes on the market..... however, it still left me wanting more.

So I ended up breaking down and buying a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42mm Flash Dot and it is simply awesome! If I had the $$$ I would probably move up to the 56mm as a friend of mine has the S&B 2.5-10x56mm Zenith Flash Dot that is even better.

bowjunkie

If ya got the $ niteforce can't be beat  :wink:

FOsteology