• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Timney trigger....

Started by canine, September 17, 2006, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canine

Jim, how do you like that Timney you put on the Ruger? Do you know what LB. it is set for and how much difference is there in performance?

I have a Ruger markIIMK77 in 22-250 with factory trigger. I bet the pull is at like 4 or 4.5 lbs. i'm not much of a gun guru but would bet lighter would make the gun more crisp and easier to shoot better groups?? am i right in my thinking?

JD

FinsnFur

I simply love it...but to be honest, I only got to hunt a half a season with it so far.

I'll admit, I had a pulling problem when shooting and I think a lot of it had to do with travel, wondering when the hammer would release. So out of habit, I'd be like , EHHH!!, and jerk the trigger back.

The Timney has like zero travel, and I set it to the lightest setting possible the first time I shot. THAT tough me to slow down a lot because your gonna send one down the pipe just snugging the butt to your shoulder before firing, if you aint careful.

I' didn't measure the pull weight on it. It listed it's adjustable span on the installation directions but I dont recall off hand what it was. Like I said, I set it as light as possible, and then worked it back, over 6 or 7 times out till I felt comfortable.
It's so crisp you'll wonder why they even build guns with triggers like they do.

Tight groups? ....sheeeeeeeeeeet buddy, you wait till the UPS man drops off my Boyd thumbhole stock. There wont be no groups. ONE HOLE!  :biggrin:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

fuzz624

Hey canine a lighter trigger pull will make you a better shot.I have had some guns in the past that i just couldnt get the hang of the trigger.The worst is a creepy trigger.I cant shoot a gun with alote of trigger creep to save my life.I just got rid of a 270 because it had the worst trigger i have ever seen.That gun in a vice shot pretty well,but that wont do in the field.The trigger in my Stevens 22-250 is adjusted down to about 3 lb.with 0 creep.I am planning to install a SSS trigger and adjust to about 24 ounces.It should be a real coyote killer then.

canine

Thanks Jim and Fuzz..

Looks like i'll be lookin for a gunsmith to do some work on the 250...I figured lightenin up that trigger would help keep me from pulling shots. Not that i miss aloot!!!..LOL

JD

FinsnFur

Just tell Ma ya want a Timney for Christmas. Actually they aren't that expensive and they are a breeze to install.
You need to RRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrreally pay attention to the safety adjustment though.
I have the three postion and needed to do some described filing, and if ya take off even 1/1000 too much, your trigger will pull if you put a lot of pressure on it, especially when set to hair trigger.
I filed... then installed to checked, then filed ...and installed to check, probably a dozen times to be safe, and boy did it turn out sweet.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com