• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Shad and walleye on the Columbia River

Started by Okanagan, June 17, 2018, 03:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Fished for shad for about a half day on the Columbia River of Washington State.  We were on the hot dry desert side of Washington, about ¾ mile below McNary Dam, pictured above.  We were fishing by about 8 AM and quit soon after 1:00 PM and can only guess at how many we caught.  Likely somewhere over 150.  We released them all and didn't even feed any to the huge white pelicans.

We anchored and “trolled” in the current, caught many doubles, likely as many times with two on at once as we had single fish on. It was never fast and furious, just steady, about every 1-4 minutes we would get a double, as if they were coming upriver in small schools.  40,000 shad went over the dam the day before according to the fish count.

The next day we went several miles downriver and fished walleye.  Kind of slow and we only caught two.  A friend in another boat caught two huge ones, kept one about 11 lbs. and released a monster much larger.  Some other people caught five among three fishermen but one was a good 6 lbs.  Lots of big yellow perch.  Three weeks ago was peak for walleye in that area and my BIL was catching 8-20 per day.

I lost a BIG one that we never got much of a look at, a big, slow, ponderous heavy fish.  The larger fish below is a little over 20 inches long.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on June 17, 2018, 10:39:00 AM
Nice fish!

Thank you.  I just catchum, I don't make 'em!

Neither shad nor walleye are native to the Columbia, nor are large and small mouth bass, channel catfish nor carp, all of which are abundant now in the river.  Back in the 80's in a walleye fishing article by Al Lindner about Saskatchewan, he put in just a line or two that mentioned fishing on the Columbia River for walleye, and he said then that it was the best walleye fishing in the world.  No limit.  Lots of big fish.  The local walleye club members release all big ones and have a gentlemen's agreement to keep no more than 6 fryer size. 

nastygunz

Ever do any freshwater striper (carp) fishing?

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on June 17, 2018, 01:39:22 PM
Ever do any freshwater striper (carp) fishing?

Have shot quite a few with a bow and line in sloughs but my only carp catches on a rod have been incidental.  In cold current rivers they fight pretty well.  What do you use for bait if you fish for them?  I have caught good sized carp on a gob of worms when plunked out with channel catfish in mind. 

FinsnFur

Nice healthy looking Walleyes. You shad look as big as they are LOL
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com