• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FWIW male & female sockeye

Started by Okanagan, September 03, 2010, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Male is the larger one with slightly hooked mouth.  He is just starting to turn color into a green head and red body.  She is sea bright & had sea lice still clinging.  Gorgeous morning, pale moonlight fading to dawn reflected in the river, hooked salmon sillouetted against that backdrop when they jumped.

Hawks Feather

Neat comparison of the two.  Is there any difference in the taste?

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 03, 2010, 10:55:01 AM
Neat comparison of the two.  Is there any difference in the taste?

Jerry

No difference in taste that I have ever noticed.    We'll have to do a taste test for supper!

That would be a good question for someone from a an isolated coastal village where they eat LOTS of salmon.  I knew people in such a place who could tell by the taste pretty accurately where a salmon had been caught.  They would go fish different places if they wanted one to barbecue, to smoke, can, etc.  That is amazing but I got to thinking that once these fish head toward spawning, they live mainly off of their body fat and gradually get leaner.  So they certainly change flavor slightly as they travel from open ocean to inside water and then into rivers and up them sometimes hundreds of miles.  But never noticed nor thought of the difference between male and female and don't know the answer 100%!

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the update and good luck with the testing tonight at supper.

Jerry

pitw

The way they morph is just to cool and you explaining what's happening is a great tool.
I say what I think not think what I say.