• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Spring steelhead fins distracted us from bear fur

Started by Okanagan, May 22, 2011, 01:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

On my bear foray this week, a long time friend who used to guide in the area led me off through clothes-tearing brush down a mountain to look for his favorite old fishing spot.  We came out at this spot with two blacktails across the river looking at us.

Upstream we came to an old dry river bed that made easy walking, and the timber had opened into old growth.

Where the old stream bed returned to the river, we came out on the pool below.

Into the top end of this pool flowed a run where my friend caught three steelhead in his first four casts.  He hooked a few more and I hooked one trying for a sea run cutthroat.   He had not fished that spot since 1980.  We did not mention fishing when we got back to bear camp! :innocentwhistle:

Todd Rahm

Nice post Okan!  :congrats: For sure is some beautiful country there, and some darn fine fish.  :biggrin:

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyotehunter_1

Mother nature at her best. :highclap:

QuoteWe did not mention fishing when we got back to bear camp! :innocentwhistle:

:confused: No fish for supper? :shrug:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hawks Feather

Neat images.  I would love to walk the dried river bed, but don't think the knee would make the trek to get there.  That is the reason that I love looking at these images.  I also don't think you should every try fishing in Ohio.  I only say that because you have been spoiled when it comes to fishing - you should change the name "up there" to catching.  In Ohio you can do some "fishing" - which means that if you are lucky, just once in your life, you might catch a fish the size of the ones shown.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 22, 2011, 07:50:37 AM
you have been spoiled when it comes to fishing - Jerry

Yes I have, and I'm grateful!

My boys grew up in that kind of stuff, and they are totally spoiled when it comes to fishing.  I've got old pics of my youngest at age 7 wearing rain clothes too big for him, standing knee deep in a clear mountain creek with a 23 inch rainbow trying to take the rod away from him.  To go from that to where he is now is not the same when it comes to fishing.

I surely would love to get into a mess of crappie however.

iahntr

Scott

Okanagan

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on May 22, 2011, 06:27:20 AM

QuoteWe did not mention fishing when we got back to bear camp! :innocentwhistle:

:confused: No fish for supper? :shrug:

No fish for supper.  We released them, partly to keep the secret secret.  That river has a reputation of being fished out with no steelhead in it, but it has quietly come back over the years.  We left its reputation intact, by not even mentioning it.  :sleep:

Last year we ate a humongous fish and oyster supper one night, but our best fish cooking man didn't show up and none of us took time to catch a mess of the various salt water cod and bass that are so good and have large limits. 

shaddragger

Quote from: Okanagan on May 22, 2011, 09:33:43 PM

No fish for supper.  We released them, partly to keep the secret secret.  That river has a reputation of being fished out with no steelhead in it, but it has quietly come back over the years.  We left its reputation intact, by not even mentioning it.  :sleep:

Last year we ate a humongous fish and oyster supper one night, but our best fish cooking man didn't show up and none of us took time to catch a mess of the various salt water cod and bass that are so good and have large limits.
:wink: I got you, Okanagan. Great pics and story!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

FinsnFur

Awesome pictures. It looks like it'd be a great place to escape to do some fishing or hiking. The bears?.... :eyebrownod: no thanks :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

golfertrout

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 23, 2011, 05:28:11 AM
Awesome pictures. It looks like it'd be a great place to escape to do some fishing or hiking. The bears?.... :eyebrownod: no thanks :laf:

We weren't there long before we spooked fish enough that they quit biting, so we left. As we walked away my friend  said that he was surprised we hadn't seen any bears with us while we were fishing.  I looked around at the short distances in view and thought that any bear we could see would be close, whether on our side of the river or the other. :huh:

Dave

Now that's my the type of bear hunt.  That is, as long as I wasn't left back at camp trying to get a bear. 
They're some strong looking fish, especially that last one.