• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

School of perch makes weird artsy photo

Started by Okanagan, July 01, 2011, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Pics taken at a lake in southern Saskatchewan a couple of days ago.  Glassy calm in late afternoon, and the fish were well under the trees along shore in the high waters near flood stage.   The overhanging limbs and leaves reflect on the surface with fish showing under the surface.  Looks like a Chinese silk print to me.   Tea water color but several feet of visibility.  Kids on a nearby dock were catching buckets of perch.  We called them ring perch when I was growing up but I think yellow perch is the correct name. 

Hawks Feather

FinsnFur

Wow, that is cool. :eyebrownod:
Who said perch dont grow on trees?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Those look like the big aquariums at Cabelas. Great photo capture for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Okanagan

Thanks!

I saw the perch and realized that with the overhanging trees blocking off glare, the camera should be able to get a pic of them without a polarizing filter, which I don't have for the little point and shoot.  By the third pic I was surprised by the effect when I zoomed in close enough to show the fish well and so left out all but the amber water with reflection from above and fish below.  Pure accident of photography but I really like the effect.  The bars on the sides of some perch show in the most blurry close-up.  Only took four or five pics total.

Having one of these little cameras around nudges me into taking LOTS more pictures than I ever did with film!

Now just wish I had a dozen or so of those perch fillets to cook up for lunch!

Okanagan

Double exposure!  I just figured it out myself, that the pictures look like a double exposure of two images, one of fish and the other of leaves.  The reflection of the water surface added a second image to the fish visible beyond that surface.  Hmmm... this has some great possibilities.

Here is the same spot the next morning with wind after a storm.

And some minnows in the waves in a protected spot under the trees.

FinsnFur

I think you found a fishing hole  :sneer:

Photobucket has competitions running all the time. I was going to tell you to get that pic entered, it was a definite candidate. But come to find out the one I was thinking of is for sunglass reflections.

Some of the prizes though are up to $2500 in cash :eyebrow:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com