• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Apple Something Unpie

Started by Okanagan, July 31, 2016, 08:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

An apple tree in our back yard has seven kinds of apples grafted into it.  Some of them are very good tasting, others not so much.  Some are red and some green when ripe.  This year some of them are already getting ripe, very early. 

I picked up an armful of windfalls the other day, trimmed and sliced them for apple pie.  Then I read directions that said to peel them.  :confused:  Hmm...  As an experiment I added sugar, cinnamon etc. for pie filling, put them in a Corning ware deep dish and nuked them for 7 minutes.  Stir once at 4 or 5 minutes.

Fabulous!  It is pie without any crust.  I like crust but it takes a lot more prep time and baking.   Did my second batch of the same today, and I like the apple peel in the pie filling.  Hot out of the microwave it sure is good on ice cream.  Maybe call it apple topping for ice cream?

A side story re maybe why only three of the seven trunk stems are bearing:  After years of no pruning I cut it back winter before last, so much that my wife was sure that I'd killed it.  She and the neighbor lady were upset that it cut their privacy screen.   It grew back ferociously that spring with branches  and leaves, replacing plenty of privacy but did not bear a single apple last year.  This year, three of the seven sections are loaded and the tree needs a little pruning this winter. 

pitw

Wife makes apple pie filling and freezes it for a panic situation and the panic always seems to hit when she finds out out I ate it with ice cream. :biggrin: 
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

That sounds crazy good :eyebrow:
Barry it's pretty sad when your wife prepares for a panic situation from your shenanigans  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com