• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Dustin's little .204

Started by Arkyyoter, October 23, 2007, 10:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Dustin got his little Browning .204 in...we put a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3 X 10 on it, in Leupold standard steel mounts...it has a very nice trigger right out of the box...

We didn't have much time to mess with it, but got it zeroed. The first load was a 40 grain Nosler BT, on top of 28.0 grains of H4895...TERRIBLE, about 2 1/2 inches...

The next load was a 40 grain VMAX on the same charge...about 1 1/2 inches AAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....then 39 grain Sierras....about 3/4....YUK!!!

Then 32 VMAX.....about .250....better  35 Bergers shot about .490...

The lighter bullets are outstanding, the 39 and 40s were bad...got a lot more experimenting to do, but so far...the little bullets are amazing, especially for a 6 lb ultra light...

Now I didn't have time to monkey with COL, or powder charges, much less different powders...but the 32 and 35 grainers are running about 3800-3900.....and hyper accurate. I guess we will see what we shall see, but I will take a .250 inch group any day of the week!!

Joe

HaMeR

Hi Joe. My experience with the 204 is that with the 1-12" twist the 40's only work in some rifles. Some like em & some don't. The rest just tolerate them. Now the 40gr Bergers are a good heavy bullet that most 204's seem to like. On the other hand the 35gr Bergers are the main choice of fur collecting coyote hunters. Here's a website that just might help you along with your 204. It's loaded with good guys & great info. Check the tabs at the top of the pages too.

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/index.php

HTH :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Timney has replacement springs for the Browning A-Bolts. $20 well spent. Takes about 5mins.
I put 'em on CDM, Coyote Disaster Master, & what a difference. :thumb2: