• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I scoped this out.

Started by vvarmitr, December 10, 2007, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-iii-riflescopes/vx-iii-4-5-14x50mm-long-range/

I figure this to be the supreme coyote hunting scope out there.  ;yes;  Burris & Nikon had some serious runner ups. There were cheaper scopes that seemed to meet the standards, but I was warned to stay away from them.  Some of the high, high end scopes had contenders too, but their reticles suck. :puke: 

The prerequisite were ...
#1 QUALITY!
#2 Light gathering ability.
#3 Low to high variable power range
#4 Side parallax adjustment most noted as "Side Focus."
#5 A reticle that could be seen in low light w/ range markings.
#6 Size, weight, & configuration.
A matte finish was a requirement too, but not a problem as most come in a matte finish now.  :whew:

#1 Speaks for its self ... cheaper in the long run, ... not a mistake, ... yadda, yadda, yadda!

#2 Coyotes here in Ohio can be hunted 24-7-365. :highclap:  Though I don't night hunt much, but just ask me & I'll be there. However, there are the wee morning hours & the "Lets make one more stand before calling it quits" evening hunt.  I don't want to be the one at a disadvantage then.  :nono:
So light gathering takes a large objective bell. At least a 50mm. Plus it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the 30mm tube is the way to go here also. I had guys trying to tell me that the inch tubes gather just as much light as a 30mm.  :huh:  It has been a while since I fell off the turnip truck so I wasn't biting on that.
As an aside, my local gun peddler put me onto an article in Peterson's Hunting Mag. by one of the old salts (can't remember the name) about how to test a scope for its light gathering ability. In a nut shell take a flashlight & shine it into the eye piece end at the highest power setting & at the proper eye relief. Then at the other end put a sheet of paper on the objective bell end. It's easiest to do w/ the scope being vertical & w/ an accomplice.  :wink:  Now what you want is the light to shine as close to the objective bell edge as possible. It won't be 100%, but 90% & better is good. Gander Mt. just happen to have the exact scope I ordered on hand. (at over $100 more than I paid) We pulled the test on it & I didn't think I could do any better. It was 95% or better in my thinking.  :thumb2:

#3 I love variables! Even my bino's are variable. Can't stand fix powered bino's anymore.  :madd:
We all know the advantages of the little twisty ring at the eye piece end. Low power for when they come in close & the top end for when they hang-up way out there. I looked at 2-7/10s, 3-9/12s, 4-12/16, & 6-18/24s.
One thing I found is a 2X focuses little better close than a 4X,  :shck:  & I was able to pick out different boxes of ammo on the selves at 5yds w/ the 4X, how be it they weren't in focus, but I could distinguish between 'em.  The problem w/ this is small twigs won't be detectable.  :mad2: Iffen they're that close put the Bocephus on 'em. Ya know, spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye & shoot 'im w/ your ol' 45.  :laf:   I gave serious thought to the 6-18/24Xs, but prerequisite #6 came into play.  :sad:   I wanted as much power as I could get. I'll be using this gun on the furry little field miners during the green season. High numbered "X"s are a real plus. 

#4 What a great invention!  :biggrin:   As a true blooded g'hogger I simply must have parallax adjustment, & having it there on the side now makes for a lot less movement. A snafu in any hunting situation!  :nofgr:
Parallax is more than focusing & has to do w/ the way you view the reticle, hence the yardage marks. Can't explain much more. Remember, I fell off the turnip truck. I still contend that I was pushed.  :noway:

#5 The reticle search became the kid in the candy store type of scenario.  I really had to put the ol' noodle to work here as to what would work best.  :confused:  What eliminated most was the being able to see it in low light. I personally didn't want a illuminated reticle because of the battery situation. I don't have "red dots" because I don't want to go & shoot something & find the batteries are dead.  :madd:
I realized I wanted a reticle w/ posts right/left & top. Yes, that's right at the top!  :readthis:  The German type reticles w/ the post at the bottom isn't for any Long Ranger. Dumb in my book!  :doh2:  I preferred the BCD reticle that Nikon had. #3 eliminated the Nikon.  :sad2:
The mil-dot on the Burris was acceptable. The varmint reticle on the Lupy was too thin in my book for low light work,  :pout:  but their Boone & Crockett really fits the bill & as I think more about it I think it's better than the BCD.  So that's what I went w/.  Plus I wanted range marks too.  :eyebrow:

Okay, #6 This, as I said earlier, took out the 6X variables & they had tall adjustment nobs. :mad2:  I wanted a sleekness about my scope soos I could go sneaken about the woods w/o problems from the scope. I have have enough problems sneaking this blob of a body around.  :innocentwhistle:
Length & weight go together & the Lupy was shorter & weighed less than the Burris - putting the Burris out.

Well, I laid down $750 & got a couple pieces of paper & coinage back & that included the 30mm Burris Signature rings as well. 

Long story short there you are.  :wink:

Carolina Coyote

Sounds like you got yourself a nice scope VV, What you mounting on? Leupold has come a long way the last few years, lot of nice features on their scopes.cc

vvarmitr

Thanks CC. I put a lot research into this. It was fun & kinda frustrating, cause I'd find a scope & think this is it. To find out latter that they didn't make it any more or it failed one of the other reguirements.    My one buddy, Mc, would say "Well, what scope you buying this week?" Smart ass :nono:   In fact I'm a little nervous wondering if this is really what I want.  :shrug:
Don't get the idea that I can go out & pluck down $750 on a scope. I sold a couple guns  :sad3: to get the $ to do this.  Just wanted to make that clear as some here think you're a snob if you have nice stuff. :sarcas3:

Oh yeah, I'm mounting this on my Coyote Disaster Master. CDM for short.  :sneer:  A Browning A-bolt Composite Stalker in 25WSSM. Coyote Kate bought it for me on St. Valentine's Day.  Said she was buying it for her Sweetie. I just assumed it was for me. :shrug:        :roflmao:   
I know, they're going for $700, but she/we paid just under $400 including bases & rings.  :whew:
This gun has just over whelmed me & has become one of my very favorites. So I really don't mind putting the extra $ on it. :wink:

Pilgrim

vvarmitr - I hate to throw a wrench in things, but before you drop that kind of cash on a Lupy I'd strongly suggest you'd take a look at this one:  http://www.swfa.com/pc-4721-665-kahles-4-12x52-helia-cl-riflescope.aspx    This is a great price on this scope.

vvarmitr

That's another fine quality scope that I had scoped* out earlier, but to me their reticles aren't even close to what I want.

This is the Boone & Crockett reticle I chose.  This reticle should be viewable in a low light situation. Note the right & left plus the top post are very much your typical bold duplex style.  You really don't need to see much above the point where the cross hairs intersect in my way of thinking. What you need to see is below w/ some reference marks so you can deal w/ your trajectory.  This has got to be one of the finist reticles anyone has come up w/. IMHO
Now I'm not saying this is the best in all hunting/shooting situations.

BTW I paid less than that for the Lupy. :wink:
Don't take me wrong I sure appreciate the heads up, but just letting you know why I passed it up earlier.

* pun intended  :sneer:

Carolina Coyote

VV, That's going to be a real nice set-up on the Browning A-Bolt :yoyo:, Last Christmas I gave each one of my Grandson's a Leupold like the one you bought and they really love them, I have the A-Bolt Stalker in 243 WSSM and the more I shoot it the more I like it, Scope on it is a Millet 4x16x56, not and expense scope but got it on a trade and it works pretty good, would rather have a 6x24x56 with a recticle and side focus like you have on the Lupy. I like the large objective bell it really helps in low light. I also like the 25 caliber my Deer Hunting Rifle is 25-06.
I think you have made a very good choice in Scope and Rifle.cc

vvarmitr

Picked it up yesterday.  :biggrin:
It actually came w/ two instruction booklets.  :shck:  They musta figured I'm pretty dumb. :confused:
It also came w/ a really super cool Lupy sticker.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  That'll go on my range box fer sur !!! ;yes;   :laf:
I'll be down there the end of the month ... maybe I'll let ya take a peek through it. :wink:

Carolina Coyote

VV, Let me know when you are coming down, if you are coming to Augusta I'll meet you down there, our Hunt Club is in Gough Georgia about 30 Miles west of Augusta, Check it out on Google. I have not been hunting since Nov. 12th as I had a operation on my right shoulder for a Rotor Cuff and torn Tendon. Its doing great but still will not be able to shoot my rifle for a few more weeks. I have a Doctor appointment on December 31st but could come to Georgia after that. We can check out some of those Georgia Coyotes, got plenty of good places to call them up.cc

Ladobe

VV - looks like you covered your bases.   

FWIW, I bought the 40mm model of this scope to go with a new Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight in 243WSSM.    Both bought for the coyotes that hang up long on some of my ADC ranches (from being shot at by ranch hands all of the time).   In the wide open spaces out here I don't have to deal with low light much so went with the VH reticule and 40mm instead of 50mm to keep the rig more compact.   Wish I could tell you how well the scope/rifle combo worked out, but both remain in their boxes new and unused (brass, dies, bullets too).   Bought too many new toys 3-4 years ago and just never got around to them.   :rolleye:

Will be watching for pics of your rig and first blood with it though.

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

vvarmitr

Quote from: Ladobe on December 14, 2007, 05:16:43 PMBought too many new toys 3-4 years ago and just never got around to them.   :rolleye:
Don't ya just hate it went you do that.  :doh2:   NAWT! :eyebrow:

Quote from: Ladobe on December 14, 2007, 05:16:43 PMWill be watching for pics of your rig and first blood with it though.
Don't aim to let ya down. :wink: