• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rem. Model 700 VTR

Started by bootmud, May 17, 2008, 06:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootmud

I looked at one of these lasst evening at Gander Mt.  and although I've heard some negative comments about the synthetic stock I really don't think I can go on with life without one of this in .223 cal. in my gun cabinet. :doh2:   

I really liked the look, design, and the feel of this gun. Topped with a IR Scope this would make an awesome coyote gun. Looks like I'm gonna have to start saving them pennies. :eyebrow:

Anyone have any pros and cons on this rifle, I'd like to hear em.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VTR.asp

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

coyotehunter_1

QuoteI really don't think I can go on with life without one...

Hey, anybody know the number for 911? :biggrin:

No experience with the new VTR but it does look interesting. Be sure to tell us how it shoots.  :wink: 
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Nelson

Bootmud,

Alot of your better custom rifles have synthetic stocks.
That's a sharp looking rifle!  There's always Visa or MC.   :eyebrownod:

Nelson

Hawks Feather

First I have not held the VTR and can't speak to that rifle.

I would check out the stock.  I have several 700's that has a very nice composite stocks on them.  But, years back I bought a 700 ADL with a plastic (Tupperware) stock and I owned it from the time it arrived at the gun shop till someone came in a couple of months later and bought it at a well below retail price.  (I used to help out at the shop and could buy everything at wholesale.)  That stock was really worthless, but I haven't checked the current stocks.  Get your hands on the stock and see if you are able to twist (put one hand on the forearm and your other hand grips the recoil pad - then twist) the stock.  Maybe you are the Hulk and if that is the case all of them will have some twist.  The stiffer (less twisting) the better.  I really doubt that you will find much twist with the stock on the VTR, but I could be wrong.

Jerry

Bob D

I saw one the other day at a local gun shop and quite frankly did not like it ! :shrug:

bootmud

Hawks Feather,

Hmmmm ok.  I really don't shoot alot and I don't reload.  I usually shoot every so often at the cabin outside of hunting season to make sure everything is still shot in for hunting seasons.  Maybe the guys that are complaining of the stock not being completely floated do a lot of bench shooting.  Some have said the stock isn't very stiff and they were making modifications to stiffen them up.  

For the occasional shooter, full time hunter I seem to think all that doesn't matter so much.  Thanks for the tips!

coyotehunter_1, I used to have the number for 911 memorized but I always forget it so I had it tattooed om the back of my neck so I always have it close by. :eyebrow:

Nelson,  I'm with you 100% but I can't seem to get my wife to go along with that idea. :shrug:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

bootmud

Bob D,

What was it you didn't like?  I'm guessing the triangular barrel design??

Thanks,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Hawks Feather

bootmud,

I just made the comments on the stock because it can make a significant difference in the gun's performance.  There are many reasons for a gun not to shoot well, in fact I could take another person's "unbelievably accurate" rifle and get an entirely different group just by the way I held the gun and the pressure I did or didn't put on the stock.  The easier it is for a stock to move, the more chance it will and change the group.

As for the barrels being floated, Remington puts a contact point toward the front of the stock on many of their guns.  The LV-SF that I have has it in there as well.  It is there to keep the barrel harmonics about the same for each shot.  If an action is properly bedded and has pillars  (since many synthetic stocks already have pillars, I would assume this one does already) that contact point can be removed and the harmonics usually improve.  Without the bedding process it seems wiser to leave the contact point there.  When I get enough saved up I will get it bedded and a little action work done as well.  Till then I have to be happy with only replacing the trigger.

While I am not sure, it seems like you have already gotten some information about how this model is shooting.  You might want to ask how the groups are with factory ammunition.  The .223 is usually a fairly accurate round and if there are major group sizes there could be "issues" with the model.  Just guessing on that.  Finding a rifle that you "really liked the look, design, and the feel of this gun" is the right place to start, but you also want it to shoot well.

Again, I have not had ANY contact with this model, nor have I done any searches for how well it performs.  Just offering unsolicited comments.

Jerry

KySongDog

What's the price difference between the VTR and a Remington AR?  If I was going to a .223 I think I would like the AR platform better.  Especially for yote hunting.  I've never shot the VTR so I'm whistling Dixie here.      :innocentwhistle:

Semp

bootmud

Jerry,

Yes I did see a picture somewhere of the contact points on the front of the stock.  If I bought the gun I would make no modifications.   I appreciate your response.  Thanks!!!

Semp,

I've never priced the AR since they aren't legal for hunting in Pa.  Sure would be fun to shoot though.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

KySongDog

Quote from: bootmud on May 17, 2008, 03:58:51 PM
Semp,

I've never priced the AR since they aren't legal for hunting in Pa.  Sure would be fun to shoot though.

bootmud

We can use them in Kentucky.  I never considered they might be illegal elsewhere.  :doh2: 

Semp

Bob D

Quote from: bootmud on May 17, 2008, 11:15:30 AM
Bob D,

What was it you didn't like?  I'm guessing the triangular barrel design??

Thanks,  bootmud

You got it. It just ldidn't look good to me. It may be a great shooting gun but i wouldn't like it.
Bob

captain223

Hello, I have two models of the rem 700 vtr on in .223 and one in .308. The stock is  not one of  the best that rem makes, but I was able to remove the material that was touching the barrel. ( And to me that is what's important.) The Mark x pro trigger is heavy but crisp . Needs to be lightened to about 2 1/2 pounds. But all in all it is a good weapon. I am getting sub MOA groups out of both .223 and .308 models. With hand loads .223 - 55 gr nosler b-tip w/t 24 gr of  imr 3031 and the .308  - 168 gr sierra match king w/t 44 gr of imr 3031. Both I fitted with Leupold scopes the .223 has a 3.5x10x40 m2 and the .308 has a 8.5x24x50 m1.  Feel  free to ask me ant questions I'll do my best to answer them.  Hope I have been helpful.