• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Choke time

Started by LORDDAL, July 18, 2008, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LORDDAL

Ok heres the situation I recently bought a mossberg 500 accu choke 23/4 to 3 in 12 guage and am looking at a new choke for it I mostly shot #4 shot for everything and the two chokes i am lookin at the dead dog and a jelliehead does anyone know which one of these will patteren #4 better thanks guys

charlie
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

FinsnFur

That's a tough one. Everyone is going to have there own preference.
Chokes are like women in that each one appeals to the shooter in a different way.. You might like redheads but your neighbor like brunettes. :shrug:

Just my 2 cents :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

LORDDAL

yeah know at ya mean jim i love redhead but married a brunette lol just wantin to know if anyones used both the chokes and which one patterens good ole #4 shot best right now im leanin towards the jellyhead but id like to have a dead dog too
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Rich

LORDDAL,

The problem is that every shotgun will pattern differently than the next one will.  For all around use, if you have an improved cylinder choke for fast shooting of upland birds, a modified choke tube for medium range stuff and a full choke for late season pheasant, you will be in fairly good shape. You can always invest in an X-full extended "Turkey" tube for those trophy spring gobblers also.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Silencer

.660 jelly head maybe too tight for the mossy.  But like rich said, every shotgun is different. 
From what I've seen of the mossberghs the stock chokes work just fine if not better than the aftermarket. 
Pattern them stock chokes, they're cheaper and I bet you'll find one that works with the #4.
My buds stock full choke mossy  patterns as good as my aftermarket tightwad outta my 870. 

LORDDAL

thanks for the info guys I have yet to even put this 500 on paper but for 175 it was to hard to pass up plus its alot shorter than my brothers marlin I have been using and its camo'd to boot only reason I was thinking about getting another choke was just in case I wanted to make this a yote gun. i wanted a choke that handles the #4 well i know a lot of guys who swear by jelly head and have hear good things about the dead dog chokes with buck but never with #4 I will prob stick whit the choke that came with the gun but I have yet to even pull it and see what it is been workin to much to do much more than clean it good

bootmud

Patterning new chokes can be an expensive and frustrating experience.  I usually try a couple of chokes with different ammo at different distances.  Usually by the end of the testing my shoulder usually feels like it just got ran over by a truck. :pout:
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Silencer

QuoteUsually by the end of the testing my shoulder usually feels like it just got ran over by a truck

Know what yer sayin, I was patterning them 3.5 inchers, by the time I was done I was flinching so bad I couldnt tell if it was the choke or me.  Had to have my brother take over  :eyebrownod:

alscalls

Buy the dead dog. You know you want it and with todays loads and chokes? Odds are it will serve you well. Just hunt and hunt hard. Thats the fun part :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls