• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rifle camo??

Started by arse, December 23, 2006, 07:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arse

How important is is to camo your weapon?  I am new to the site and to coyotes.  I have a Bushy Varminter and a new Rem 700 LSS in that is stainless and has laminated stocks.  Don't want to cover up if it is not needed.  Also where can you get that camo vet wrap that doesn't stick to your gun?  Thanks to all for your help. 

Hawks Feather

CCP

I camo my guns for the cool factor I don't think it makes a difference. I hunted with a lot of guns without camo on them with out any problems. Last weekend had coyote at 5 yards no gun camo and a big tripod and camera with no camo on it.

It probably looks like a stick to them :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

A stick????  :wo:

Wonder what you look like to them........a short stump with a mustache?  :roflmao:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Ladobe

Few here will agree with me probably, but gun camo is just another marketing ploy IMO (in fact, all camo products are).   They're to impress the buyer, his friends, etc... not really necessary at all in the field when hunting if you've done the homework on the area and setup well.   I've never put camo on a gun, but do admit doing the camo clothing thing for about 2 decades "because everyone else did".     No more.   
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

KySongDog

Maybe coyotes aren't too particular. As I am a noobie too, dunno. But I sure wouldn't go turkey hunting without full camo on me, gun, everything. Especially a stainless steel barrel. IMHO.

Semp

Ladobe

Hi Semp -

I haven't hunted turkey since before modern camo became vogue, so can't really comment on turkey hunting now days.   Maybe it's more challenging now with more hunters and shrinking habitat.   My comments were directed towards predator hunting as that is what arse referred to.   There eyes are every bit as good as Mr. Tom's though, and many of them are just as wary.   

I never wore camo for big game hunting either - rifle, pistol or archery, nor for upland game and seldom for waterfowling.   My family never went hungry for game meat.   Some old dogs just don't learn new tricks well I guess (why fix what ain't broke), and some of us older dogs who killed more than our fair share back in the "easy" years just like the extra challenge now.   Nearly 3 years ago I went back to small caliber traditional muzzle loaders only for predators, and the real fun in calling came back.   I continue to only use mouth calls too (anybody can push a remote button on an e-caller).   No I didn't score as often, but when I did, it was a trophy I felt I earned.   

Just comes down to personal choice and everyone certainly should do/use what they have the most confidence in AND not worry about what the hoards are doing.   Confidence in your own abilities is what makes for a successful hunter IMO, not having all the latest equipment.

L.

USN 1967-1971

KySongDog

Hi Ladobe!

I agree with your comments, especially the one about "personal choice".  Hunt with what ever makes YOU feel comfortable and what puts FUN in the sport for you. That's what it is all about for me.

As far as camo goes, I was thinking about hunting in the thick stuff we have here in the East.  Where shots are relatively close range as in turkey hunting.  Camo is more important at 30 yards than at 200 yards, I think. Arse asked about whether to camo a stainless barrel. I would think that the glint of a stainless barrel would seem to be out of place to a wary eyed yote.  Perhaps if the stainless barrel is brushed (dull) it may work OK but certainly anything shiny should be covered. 

Semp

Ladobe

Shots mostly have to be up close and personal when shooting patched round balls with traditional muzzle loaders too, regardless of whether you're in close cover or out in the wide open spaces.   The 36 caliber's I use mostly loose knock-down power fairly fast, and only start out about like a 22MAG.   Sure I could shoot a lot further with the 45's, 50's, 54's, etc, but at the cost of more pelt damage too.   If I wanted to shoot long I'd go back to the modern firearms.

I think movement on your part alerts way more predators than what colors you are wearing does when it comes to their eyesight.   This thread started in reference to coyotes.   FWIW, the only "colors" they are believed to see are shades of gray, yellow and blue.    The no movement point was driven home at an AZ hunt some years ago when coyote(s) were taken from the top of a ladder by a shooter wearing a Santa Claus suit.   Probably the biggest advantage of "some" camo patterns is that they help break up your outline.   I say some, because a lot of the modern camo fabrics today become just a darker blob the further away from them you get.    Designed to be fashionable to buyers (that marketing ploy), not to really work that well in the field.

Chrome moly/blued barrels tend to reflect light a lot more than stainless barrels do IMHO.   Some blued barrels have a higher polish finish and most stainless are somewhat subdued being bead blasted, etc.   But no doubt any metallic or optical flash immediately alerts predators and usually sends them packing in high gear.   So covering up the metal work or any other reflective finish with camo and guarding against scope/binos/eyeglasses flash would make a couple of less things to worry about on stand I guess.

Either way, and interesting thread opening up lots of possibilities.

USN 1967-1971

Jeb

Rich I have to admire your honesty  :congrats:
          Jim

Quote from: CCP on December 23, 2006, 10:31:33 PM

I camo my guns for the cool factor I don't think it makes a difference. I hunted with a lot of guns without camo on them with out any problems. Last weekend had coyote at 5 yards no gun camo and a big tripod and camera with no camo on it.

It probably looks like a stick to them :biggrin:

arse

Well, a combo of cool factor, keeping my laminate stock from getting scratched, the possibility of it making a difference, being brainwashed by subliminal messages on the outdoor network, and wanting to make sure I wasn't the only one without a camo gun....I bit the bullet.  I ordered from www.beartoothproducts.com.  I have the stock sleeve on my AR-15 and like it....Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts....Arse

FinsnFur

Heck sometimes CRINER dont even wear pants let alone camo...right Steve?

....STEVE?
:huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Streaker Steve...............for some reason I thought that one had been laid to rest.  :roflmao:

A man hunts a thousand times with clothes on and nobody says a thing. Go hunting once naked and your "marked" for life........ :laf: :laf:

Hawks Feather

Bopeye,

If you went hunting naked, I for one do not want to know where you were "marked".   :laf:

Jerry

Bopeye

Don't worry Hawk...........I always wear at least my long johns..........poor old Criner though........he seems to have an identity crisis. He can't decide if he wants to be a Chip and Dale's dancer or a coyote hunter..........I guess he does both at the same time occasionally.  :laf:

KySongDog

Quote from: Ladobe on December 27, 2006, 01:11:39 PM
The no movement point was driven home at an AZ hunt some years ago when coyote(s) were taken from the top of a ladder by a shooter wearing a Santa Claus suit. 

Wow!  Santa Claus suits and naked hunters....Now I know I'm doing everything wrong.     :roflmao:

Semp

Bopeye

The key is no movement? :wo:

I wonder how Criner keeps from shivering too much on stand? Must be a hairy fella is all I can figure.......... :eyebrownod:

So tell us about it Steve..............PLEASE//// :biggrin:

KySongDog

The best camo in the world won't work if ya move.  But to say camo is not needed is something I am going to have to ponder for awhile.  Too much marketing brain wash I guess.   :confused:

Semp