• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Under Armour under fire

Started by FinsnFur, August 23, 2016, 08:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Whats your thoughts on this whole situation?
I'm in a little bit of disbelief that Under Armour took the road they did. But did they do it to save face with those having different agendas? Or are they seriously Anti Hunter?
The hunt, from what I can tell from the information available was a legal hunt and harvest. :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Jim, I've followed it a little but just don't know enough about it to show my ignorance by opining about UA dropping sponsorship.   Gonna sit this one out for now anyway as to whether there is a right or wrong side of their business deal.

As usual, there are some other factors swirling.  I've heard that there is more to it than is on the surface, with some history of tension between this couple and UA but have no idea if that is true.  I watched the original video and was cautiously OK with it though there are some things a person probably ought not to post publically.  At least the video should have been edited considerably to reduce hunter emotion and length of bear demise.  The bear bawling in the background (it sounded like) didn't do them any good, though wounded bears often bawl, sometimes incredibly loudly.  Apparently the spear chucker was a college level javelin thrower so he has ability in that area way beyond the average man.  I would think that long range shooters would be defending this guy to the max.

I'm wary of getting maneuvered into defending the indefensible in politics and life. UA didn't want to defend what happened with the bear after contact with the spear, it's bawl, etc.  If I were a college level javelin thrower who hunted, I'd probably want to try spear hunting, so I'm not hard on the man for what he did -- but he was obviously unwise in his publicity. 

nastygunz

In Vermont under armor is when you wear the same pair of underwear for the entire deer camp  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Very good points Clyde. I can totally respect that too.
They do have a cleaned up clip out now. Here's one version; and perhaps they should have aired this one first.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/woman-who-filmed-hunter-husband-8661460

Nasty, thats not Under Armour, thats nasty. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

The original video is no where to be found. Josh pulled it and claimed copyrights on it. Most likely because of all the controversy. Too bad cause I thought it would be kinda nice to show the two clips.
One thing though, Under Armour is sure taking a beating over this on Social media sites.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 25, 2016, 10:01:12 PM
Very good points Clyde. I can totally respect that too.
They do have a cleaned up clip out now. Here's one version; and perhaps they should have aired this one first.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/woman-who-filmed-hunter-husband-8661460

Nasty, thats not Under Armour, thats nasty. :laf:

This link shows a waaaay different video which is a quantum improvement:  kept short bits of the best and left out the rest.  The first one was something like 8 minutes long.   

nastygunz

I don't see anything wrong with that video,nobody is whining about the cavemen who did it 10 million years ago and then painted it on cave walls! Watch some videos of Tim Wells he takes all kinds of big game with a spear.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on August 26, 2016, 06:33:08 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that video,nobody is whining about the cavemen who did it 10 million years ago and then painted it on cave walls! Watch some videos of Tim Wells he takes all kinds of big game with a spear.

I think if he had put out the current edited version he would not have received much protest, if any. 

pitw

Quote from: Okanagan on August 26, 2016, 07:15:10 PM

I think if he had put out the current edited version he would not have received much protest, if any.

Ah [L] Oke.  There will be bitchers as long as there are people.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on August 26, 2016, 11:10:10 PM
Quote from: Okanagan on August 26, 2016, 07:15:10 PM

Ah [L] Oke.  There will be bitchers as long as there are people.

True dat.  And this is one of those cases where it is hard for me to know whether it is the place to draw a line and defend hunting or ignore it as something too far out on the fringe to be relevant. I.e.  A lawyer acquaintance defended a character in a prominent case many years ago through several levels of appeal.  Several odd things about the case and I began to wonder about the defendant.  Several years later I asked the lawyer about it and he told me that the man was a total jerk who offended his neighbors till they had no use for him but that the 4th Amendment principle at stake was too important not to defend.  So he held his nose and defended the law.