• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ground hoggin

Started by bigben, April 16, 2008, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

there is some graphic vid in this one so ye be warned.  if ya don't like seeing what a 22-250 v-max does to a g-hog at 20 yds don't watch    :readthis:

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

DirtyDog

LOL.......ask Bill what my 40 grain V max did to a groundhog.  :innocentwhistle:

Bopeye

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

That boy's a purdy good shot Ben! You got you a huntin pardner!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Back in the mid 70's I lived in Colorado for a while.  I shot alot of prairie dogs with the only center fire rifle I owned at the time, a Remington 700 ADL in 7MM mag.  A 150 grain 7MM will pretty much vaporize a prairie dog.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Quote from: coyote101 on April 16, 2008, 08:45:34 PM
Back in the mid 70's I lived in Colorado for a while.  I shot alot of prairie dogs with the only center fire rifle I owned at the time, a Remington 700 ADL in 7MM mag.  A 150 grain 7MM will pretty much vaporize a prairie dog.

That loaded round probably weighed the same as some of the smaller prairie dogs.   :biggrin:   And I am guessing that you didn't shoot 600 rounds a day.  OUCH!

Jerry

bigben

yeah it is nice to be able to call someone up and be able to go out hunting.  I was showing him how to hunt fox at night during last fall and I can pretty much predict him and he can predict me.  so this fall there will be some videoing of hunts. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bootmud

Ben,

Great video. :yoyo: 

I bought a new camera about a year ago and still haven't taken the time to really get to know it.  I hope to be videoing some myself this season.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

bigben

here is a group from my gun from a week ago.  .223 200 yds tikka m595 varminter  black hills reman ammo 50 gr vmax

and here is a big hog I nailed with it last year. 

coyote101

Hey Bigben, how's that rifle scoped?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

vvarmitr

That's a cool video Lil' Buddy.  :thumb2:
Looks like ya got the gun grouping well too!  :biggrin:

bigben

Quote from: coyote101 on April 17, 2008, 09:22:04 AM
Hey Bigben, how's that rifle scoped?

Pat

cheap tasco but i works for what i need.  it has a mildot in it and that makes it nice for long range.  I know how many dots my bullet drops with this load.  over 300 would be a crap shoot with me.  so I know my marks to 300.

Rprince

Quote from: DirtyDog on April 16, 2008, 08:09:31 PM
LOL.......ask Bill what my 40 grain V max did to a groundhog.  :innocentwhistle:

That 250 of yours will also remove the reproductive parts from a coyote.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

DirtyDog

Yup.......and rip the juggular out too.  :eyebrow:

KySongDog

Real nice video!  It's crazy that groundhogs climb trees.  Don't seem right for some reason.  :eyebrownod:

Semp

bigben

what is funny about yesterday hunting for hogs.  as we walked down the one road he was telling me he has never seen one in a tree.  I said I have shot a number of lil ones out of trees when ya rush em they run straight up.  sure nuff we walk about 100 yds and this one climbs a tree.  then before the long range hogs I asked brad how far was the longest one he has shot and he said 250.  then he gets connects on both the long range ones at 281 yds.  shortly thereafter he said I need to get one at 200+ that is standing and sure nuff the last one he shot was at 230 and some change and was standing.  then we started joking saying about it would be nice to get one on film at 400.  of course we ran out of daylight. 

coyote101

Quotecheap tasco but i works for what i need.

I'd say that Tasco is doing a pretty good job for you.  Thanks for the video.

Pat
NRA Life Member

vvarmitr

G'hogs not only climb trees, but die in trees.

Wish I could take credit for this, but my buddy Rick, out in western Ohio, shot this one sunning it's self in a tree.   :laf: