• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Spicy Parmesan Crusted Tilapia

Started by AWMiller, March 04, 2011, 07:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWMiller

Ingredients:

• tilapia fillets (cod, crappie, catfish, flounder, halibut would all make excellent substitutions)
  • crushed red pepper flakes
  • parmesan cheese
  • mustard
  • tobasco sauce
  • Zatarain’s Season Fish-Fri (Crispy Southern Style)
  • olive oil
First, rinse the tilapia fillets and pat dry. Next, take a bowl and mix enough of the dry ingredients (fish-fri, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes).  Take another bowl and put in mustard and a few dashes of tobasco sauce (to taste).  Use only enough mustard to lightly coat the tilapia fillets.

Heat olive oil in skillet.  Use enough oil to cover bottom of fish fillets.  Don’t get olive oil too hot too fast or it will burn! Lightly coat fillets with mustard mix.  Then coat with dry season mix.

Place fillets in oil and fry; turning/flipping fillets and ensuring they are cooked thoroughly.  Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb any remaining olive oil.

Serve and enjoy!!

Dave

Well I gotta go pan fishing this wkend to try out this one. 
Gonna give that chicken dish from the other day a shot tonight.
I've noticed all your recipes include red pepper flakes.  Like the hot stuff myself.

AWMiller

only way to have it brother!  this recipe would be slamming for bluegill too!

FinsnFur

You know what sticks out to me here?...the comment regarding the olive oil. I've been trying to successfully use that over corn oil for a while now and usually have disastrous results, and a funky taste.

I bet I was heating it up too hot too fast.  :wo: Interesting.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

AWMiller

yeah you can heat up olive oil too fast without really realizing it!  i generally put mine over medium heat to medium-high heat... and I have a couple of stale tidbits of bread on-hand.... to test the oil I'll put in a piece of that bread.... if it starts to fry slowly I take it out and put in the fish.... if I see smoke coming off of the oil, out the oil goes and new oil goes in and I start all over.... takes a little practice to see exactly what works for your stove-top and then you're on easy street!!

coyote101

I tried this today with sides of rice pilaf and grilled asparagus and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe AW.  :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 13, 2011, 08:13:35 AM
No pictures Pat?  :wink:

I thought about it ..... after the fact.  :doh2: Maybe next time.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

This was my attempt at this dish today.

My wife said that I went a bit heavy on the red pepper this time, but I thought it turned out pretty good.

Pat
NRA Life Member

KySongDog

That looks real good to me, Pat.    ;yes;   Looks like you have a nicely seasoned skillet too. 

AWMiller

looking good bro!  if'n she's thinking ya went heavy on the red peppers, she should see the ones I do up for myself!  that fish is CRUSTED with red peppers!!!

love that skillet too... food just tastes all the much better when cooked in those!

FinsnFur

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything wrong with that :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

shaddragger

Snap that sounds good!! I think my fish fries just went up a notch. Thanks AW!!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen