• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase, Cronk Custom calls,by Rich Cronk

Started by Rich, September 01, 2007, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Hello everyone,
The call I will be showcasing is my custom molded howler. prototype was made from cow buffalo horn and sent to Reese Outdoors for Loren to do his magic.

This howler looks and sounds exactly like a genuine buffalo horn howler, and is the howler that won the FnF Idol  contest in the puppy distress division.

Rich Cronk has been calling predators since the early 1980's. His first coyote was called with a cheap tape recorder he borrowed from one of his children. That first coyote was taken on first night out, and on the second stand. It was a moon lit night, and about four inches of fresh fallen snow would make the dark outline of a coyote show up well when it came out into the field after the rabbit he heard screaming.  The strategy was simple.  We stood in the shadows of the treeline while the cheap tape player sat about twenty yards out into the open field. The rabbit had only been singing for a few seconds when the coyote ran up and tried to take a bite out of the tape player. One shot from the ten gauge ended that coyote's career, and started a whole new career for Rich Cronk.  Rich has been hooked on coyote calling ever since that night.

Rich called and killed quite a few coyotes with that old tape player, but it wasn't long before he decided that  fooling coyotes with a mouth blown call would be more of a challenge. Rich's first mouth blown calls were of enclosed reed type long range calls from Burnham Brothers. The coyotes were easy to fool back then, says Rich. "The coyotes came like a dog to a whistle".  A month or so with the Burnham Brothers calls, Rich decided that it would be even more of a challenge if he were to make a call with his own hands and fool the coyotes with it. His first do it yourself call was made from a tine of an Iowa whitetail, and the reed was a JC products cottontail reed wedged inside the drilled out antler tine. That little call worked just fine, and it wasn't long before Rich was making calls for other folks as well.  Sometime in the late 1980's, Rich made the trip to Marble Falls, texas for a visit with the great Murry Burnham. Murry taught Rich how to make the lip squeak sound, and Rich presented Murry with the little deer antler call that he had made. Murry said that the deer antler call "sounds just like a snowshoe".

Rich is now an Internationally known call maker, having made calls for hunters all over the U.S., Canada, Australia and sweden. His biggest passion in life is calling predators. He would rather call coyotes than eat.

Contact Info:

Rich Cronk
1826 Ave E
Council Bluffs, IA

(712) 322-0168

cronkcalls@aol.com

Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

HaMeR

Hi Rich!! Nice lookin howler!! Can't wait to use it this fall!! :eyebrow:

:eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Man for a minute there I thought ya had your shirt off!  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Way to go Rich

Can't wait to get my hands on that horn. :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

newbomb

wv_yoter

Rich that is a real nice howler you got there.
Jason

Bopeye

I got one of Rich's howlers a few years back with the original horn on it. I'm sure this one will sound the same.
Good bio Rich....... :confused: ........just messing with ya man.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Troy Walter

Very nice rich,you are the man.Thought you had your shirt off also.

Rich

A couple of you guys thought I had my shirt off in the photo?  Oh Man! I got a zipper on my chest now so can't go without a shirt anymore.  :nono:
Foxpro Field staff

cb223

Nice write up Rich.

I have one of Rich's cowhorn howlers and a killer call. They both see alot of use!
CHAD

Arkyyoter

Cool....thanks for sharing Rich!!! I don't have any of your stuff....but I am going to remedy that soon!!

Joe

rainshadow1

Cronk Howlers are so easy to blow, a 1 year old could do it!

In fact, here's one! Click this link....

I had to get one of Mr Cronk's horns to start my collection. Nothing else could be more appropriate! This is my 1 year old blowing on it, with my 3 year old giggling in the background.

Good to see you posted up here, Sir!

Hawks Feather

Rich,

That is a nice looking call and from a well known and respected call maker.  I have several of your calls and have been known to practice along with your CD when I am on the road.  Keep up the great work.

Jerry

wv_yoter

Rich I noticed that Fox Pro hat I thought you were a Minaska man. It doesn't matter just curious?
Jason

Montana Hunter

:congrats:
You make great calls sir!  I have always been impressed with all the help you have given new call makers and generously given help to new hunters!   I am lucky enough to have one, hope to add one or more to my collection in the future.  Take care-Greg

Nelson

Rich,

Thanks for donating the howler.  I to started with an old tape player a long time ago, and I believe we were using Burnham Brothers tapes.  Great write up.

Nelson

KySongDog

Nice bio, Rich, and nice lookin call.  Thanks for being part of FnF. 

Semp 

Jim - ya really got to stop fantasying about men with their shirts off.    :biggrin:    :roflmao:

Rich

wv_yoter ,
The new Foxpro website is scheduled to go live next week.  You may find a surprise or two on it.
Foxpro Field staff

studabaka

There is something very fitting about having Rich showcase as we kickoff the season.

Rich, having your participation in the showcase is excellent and as it should be. Having you participate the way you do here at FnF, well that is just plain awesome. You and the other call makers here make this place special. Thank you!
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

fuzz624

Hey Rich.Very nice call,writeup,and hat.I have admired your calls for a long time.Thanks for donateing the call and your participation on this website.There are alote of us here that look up to you and sure are glad to have you around.  :highclap: