• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cool 2

Started by pitw, February 07, 2021, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

How leee crap!
We had 17 below at 6:00 this morning and I thought THAT was bad. Did I ever tell you how much I love my indoor wood stove lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Pitw, that isn't cold anymore at that temp; to me it is straight pain.

It was fascinating to me how the physical properties of many familiar items totally changed, with some kinds of foam rubber getting brittle as fragile glass, oil turning into caramel, and one kind of grass becoming much stronger.  Weird stuff.  No thanks.  I'll take our rain over that level of cold.

Stay warm and stay safe.

pitw

The pain is worst when warming up. :laf:
I can say for a fact that I ain't buying an electric truck as I don't even trust fossil fueled rigs totally at these temps.
Gotta hate feeling sorry for the cooking fire. :alscalls:

slagmaker

Now that is a brisk morning!!

I watched a live stream of an antarctic expedition several years ago. The guy did a demonstration of what the Temps they had would do to equipment.  Using a warm sledgehammer he struck a dozer blade. It snapped a big chunk off the blade like it was made of glass.  No thank you!! I will be happy with the 9°F we had this morning.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

You need a new thermometer to see how cold it really is.  I think that one has tapped out at the bottom.  Try to stay warm and seeing your temp makes out 5 above seem warm.

Hawks Feather

Hey Barry.  I forgot to ask.  Is that a 'dry' cold.  Sort of like 120 degrees in Arizona is a 'dry' heat?

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on February 07, 2021, 02:50:12 PM
Hey Barry.  I forgot to ask.  Is that a 'dry' cold.  Sort of like 120 degrees in Arizona is a 'dry' heat?

Barry can answer for his weather, but I don't think there is any damp cold at those temps.  It is all dry cold, with most of the water vapor in the air frozen and fallen out.  In -42 in the Canadian Rockies as an experiment I threw a cup of boiling water up in the air.  There was a muffled explosion sound and a cloud drifted away, but not a single mark of anything came down to touch the snow.  The water apparently evaporated in the dry air faster than it froze into drops big enough to fall.  I've seen containers frozen and burst that had no ice in them within hours:  the ice evaporates directly, without thawing, and that probably partly explains why nothing fell to ground from my boiling water experiment.  Lips chap, skin cracks on hands and feet, static electricity is ramped up in the dry air.

Re water vapor in the air:  on a sunny morning near -40 far from any town or houses or other sounds, the air sparkled with frozen bits of water vapor too small to fall, so they just danced.  It was still, and in the quiet we could hear a beautiful tinkling sound, soft but plenty loud enough to hear:  the frozen bits of water vapor bumping each other. 

pitw

Jerry, it must be a dry cold as I ain't seen a swimming suit in months. :confused:

I also think Oke handled the answer better. :laf:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: pitw on February 07, 2021, 04:12:10 PM
Jerry, it must be a dry cold as I ain't seen a swimming suit in months. :confused:

I think it might be a good idea for both of us to head south to see some of those swimming suits.  Spring break will be there before we know it.   :innocentwhistle:

pitw

Quote from: Hawks Feather on February 07, 2021, 04:33:15 PM
Quote from: pitw on February 07, 2021, 04:12:10 PM

I think it might be a good idea for both of us to head south to see some of those swimming suits.  Spring break will be there before we know it.   :innocentwhistle:

I suggested your idea to the wife and she drew the line at coyote hunting. :sad:

Hawks Feather

At least you asked.  I didn't have the nerve to even do that.

nastygunz

I think your house might be haunted, there appears to be a ghostly hand image on the thermometer!

msmith

I'm hatin' it right now and compared to Barry's place it's a balmy 14* here. 
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

I was on a NATO military exercise in Norway once and it was 30 or 40 below and there was permafrost pretty damn brutal.  Sometimes it gets around 20 below here but I don't think it's ever been 40.  I am about five minutes from the Connecticut River so I think that warms things up a bit.

pitw

I can say I don't like it as much as I used to but it ain't bad.  In around 1990 we were slashing cutlines for some coin up around Bonneyville and it was -54F for about a week and that was cool.  Them Fn trees were dangerous as you would cut one and as it fell it would hit others and they shattered, raining down pieces all over that could maim a fella.  We came upon one bush of 50 foot tall poplars and I told everyone else to stay in their trucks[even the boss as he wasn't the best at seeing what could happen next] so I could work through it by myself.   Took me 5 hours and I don't remember it being cold but I sure remember the sight and sound of pure evil happening.  Boys let me in my truck while they cleaned that mess up. 
Same trip we were using the barbecue at the motel to cook some steaks when the Fire department came rolling in with all the whistles blowing.  Seems they had a few calls about a fire cause of the steam/smoke going straight up in that cold. :alscalls:  We were asked[nicely] to notify them if were to do it again.
Many is the time I've been out feeding cattle/whatever in this dumb weather and never did I receive frost bite.
Coyote calling at -40  was quite good as them puppy's were hungry and it was also when my wife knew I was certifiable.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on February 08, 2021, 09:22:51 AM
Coyote calling at -40  was quite good as them puppy's were hungry and it was also when my wife knew I was certifiable.

From what we know of you, she is a slow learner! :laf:

Okanagan

Great stories, Barry.  I would like to stand well back and watch those poplars explode and shatter. There is not much margin for error at -40.  A small injury or vehicle break down could let a man freeze to death before he could get out of the problem.  We always kept a breakdown survival kit in the rig, still do.

My older son froze a patch on his cheek within 30 seconds of when we got out of a vehicle.

We were elk hunting the East Kootenays (part of the Canadian Rockies for the geographically challenged southerners here).  We had calf elk permits for December.  It turned cold, really deep cold. -43 in the nearest town and we were camping in the mountains.  Three of us in my friend's old Toyota pickup, including my teen son who became father of Code, who grew up on this forum.

Friend John dropped my son and I to hunt down a mountainside to where John would pick us up below.  We walked 40 feet and I turned to my son and saw pale chalky greenish patches (the size of a quarter on his cheek) and tip of his nose.  He cupped his mittened hands over his face and it thawed within seconds.  After that we tried to keep face shielded and checked each other often.  That patch peeled later like sunburn.  Getting our partner with the truck to quit and go home was a story itself.

An engineer who worked on the Alaska pipeline years ago told me that the first winter they ran non-stop no matter how cold it got, while testing lubricants and machinery wear.  The machines worked in the cold but wore out the metal so fast it was not cost effective.  D8 Cats etc. were worn out junk by spring.  After that they shut down the job when the temp dropped to a certain point, which I can't recall but think it was around -30 F.

I slept in a crew cab pickup in below -40, stayed warm in a Snow Lion synthetic bag, but by morning  hoar frost from my breath was 2 inches thick on every metal surface inside the cab.

nastygunz

LMAO  :biggrin:

Quote from: Okanagan on February 08, 2021, 12:25:57 PM
Quote from: pitw on February 08, 2021, 09:22:51 AM

From what we know of you, she is a slow learner! :laf: