• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another AZ Desert Mule Deer

Started by JohnP, November 28, 2017, 06:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Six Hundred Eighty Yards, two hundred pounds on the hoof.  One of my over the hill social security Tuesday morning breakfast buddies killed this guy yesterday.   

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Wow!  Nice deer and a really long shot.  What caliber was he using?

Jerry

FinsnFur

"over the hill social security Tuesday morning breakfast buddies" LOL! :alscalls:
That is one helluva shot :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 28, 2017, 10:15:56 PM
Wow!  Nice deer and a really long shot.  What caliber was he using?

Jerry

Jerry, I don't know but I'll find out next Tuesday at breakfast.  Gary is a rifle builder/gunsmith and a long range shooter.  We have about eight of us at the table and everyone was talking and with my hearing I just got bits and pieces of the conversation.  I do know that he did his homework and found four large mulies that anyone would be proud of.  I think that the one my other buddy found down at the copper mine is a bit larger than this one and definitely more symmetrical.  Although I wouldn't pass on either one.   

KySongDog

Very nice buck!    Keeper for sure.

As for a caliber guess, it seems the latest rage in long range is the 6.5 creedmoor.  It will be interesting to hear what he used. 

nastygunz

I always wanted to get me one of them javelinas, you must have seen a few of them Mr. John?

riverboss

Very nice! Shot and all, what a bruiser.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

JohnP

Quote from: nastygunz on November 29, 2017, 05:48:40 PM
I always wanted to get me one of them javelinas, you must have seen a few of them Mr. John?

Maybe one or two :shrug:

They smell almost as bad as a skunk, taste terrible, we just have not found a way to cook them to make them palatable.  Tried grilling, slow cooker, oven, pit, you name it we tried it, just can't do it.  One year tried feeding it to our collie, even she turned her nose up on it.  Don't hunt them anymore, haven't for many years.    But if you should ever find your way out here I'll surely put you on one. 

Okanagan

What a buck and what a shot! 

Re javalinas:  I also have wanted to hunt them but likely never will now.  Knowing that they aren't good to eat makes that easier to swallow.  :biggrin: Only time I ever saw one was beside the freeway heading south from Flagstaff toward Phoenix.  Part way down where the freeway drops off of the Mogollon Rim, a herd of them was on the grassy right of way on one of those looping turns, looked like some mamas with a bunch of little ones the size of house cats. 

Yotehntr

:yoyo: That's a heck of a shot! What a buck!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

nastygunz

I wouldn't pass on that buck either.

Dave

Heck of a shot on that buck - and what a beauty!
Many moons ago I hunted Javelinas in Texas and didn't think the meat was bad at all.  Maybe its what their diet is?  The javies we shot were pretty much lured out on to the dirt roads (think they called those roadways sunderos?) with corn sprinkled out of a can (that way they could hear it's time to come get it!). Maybe that made them palatable.

JohnP

This picture as is the one of the dead javelina has got to be at least 35/40 years old.  The top picture shows my old Winchester 670, .243 wish I still had it and this picture shows that we are still working on the completion of our back patio - a lot of good memories.

Okanagan said:  "looked like some mamas with a bunch of little ones the size of house cats."  I don't know how old this guys are, but when first born and for a few weeks after they are red.  Always thought if I shot one the size of the two in this photo they might taste better, never could bring myself to do it  :shrug:

Dave: Baiting is illegal in AZ, also I think they are considered varmints in TX with a very liberal season and limit.

coyote101

Wow! That's a beauty.  :yoyo: I'd like to someday own a rifle that I could hit with at that distance.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on November 30, 2017, 11:53:34 AM
Wow! That's a beauty.  :yoyo: I'd like to someday own a rifle that I could hit with at that distance.

Pat

Pat, it's not that hard to own the rifle...  :biggrin:   It's the "that I could hit with" part that is tough on me!

FinsnFur

I didnt know wild hogs were bad to eat. I thought folks sought after the meat.  :wo:
I wonder if it's the desert hogs that are no good to eat or they are all like that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

tripnasty84

what a beautiful beast

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

pitw

Nice deer but I'd need to move up at least four times to shoot it. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 01, 2017, 05:16:47 AM
I didnt know wild hogs were bad to eat. I thought folks sought after the meat.  :wo:
I wonder if it's the desert hogs that are no good to eat or they are all like that.

Jim - Javelina are not in the hog/swine family, they are peccary and some biologist have them in the rodent family while others have them in a separate category.  You have much to learn grasshopper and the road is long and narrow.   

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on December 01, 2017, 09:16:08 AM
Jim - .  You have much to learn grasshopper and the road is long and narrow.

:highclap:      :highclap:      :highclap:     :highclap:      :highclap: