• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Pet Bear Kills Pennsylvania Woman

Started by cathryn, October 05, 2009, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

Pet Bear Kills Pennsylvania Woman
By Janet DiGiacomo, CNN

(Oct. 5) -- A 37-year-old Pennsylvania woman died Sunday after being mauled by her pet black bear, authorities said.

Kelly Ann Walz was attacked when she entered the bear's cage to feed the 350-pound animal and clean its cage, according to Pennsylvania State Police. The bear lived in a 15-by-15-foot steel and concrete enclosure on Walz's property in Ross Township.

The bear wasn't the only unusual animal living on the property, an official with the State Game Commission told CNN affiliate WFMZ-TV. The homeowner had a permit to keep a Bengal tiger and an African lion, and the property routinely passed inspection and had no violations, he said.
A neighbor shot and killed the bear that attacked the owner, state police said.

An investigation continues.

http://news.aol.com/article/pet-bear-kills-kelly-ann-walz-in-ross/703020

thats why having wild animals as pets is dangerous,imo, permit or not. ya just never know what might set em off.

pitw

I can not find any sympathy in my body for a person that cages wild animals and then gets made into a play toy  :shrug:.  Having lived my life around animals of most persuasions I have found most are like women [unpredictable as hell]. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Shame on the PA Game Commission for allowing a 350 pound bear to be kept in a 15' x 15' enclosure.  Bear and Pet should never be allowed to be used in the same sentence. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

People should have known that was an incident waiting to happen. It wernt no accident, nature playing itself out is no accident.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Looks like to me the woman never heard of Timothy Treadwell.   :rolleye:  Its a little late to educate her now.   :sad:

slagmaker

If ya ask me she got educated in about the only way that would stick with that type.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HuntnCarve

According to the news report here, these peoples "permit" to keep these animals had expired?  So they were apparently in violation?  Bears aren't meant to be in peoples cages for a reason.  This sadly shows why.

Bopeye

I hate it for her, but there's a reason I don't keep rattlesnakes or alligators for pets. They will do what is in their nature to do.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

THO Game Calls

QuoteI can not find any sympathy in my body for a person that cages wild animals and then gets made into a play toy

I'll second that.   
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

bryan350

Does anybody think she'll make the Darwin awards?

mandi48

wow that was jsut bad news to begin with! :nofgr:
I am not a murderer, i am a hunter

Wolfwoman

I only have one word for people that make pets out of bears. Dinner.
If it can be made from fur I can make it!!

Send me a fur and I will made you a hat or mitts for $50