• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Congress Delays Digital TV Switch

Started by cathryn, February 05, 2009, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

Congress Delays Digital TV Switch

By JOELLE TESSLER, AP

WASHINGTON (Feb. 4) - Congress is giving consumers four more months to prepare for the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting.

The House on Wednesday voted 264-158 to postpone the shutdown of analog TV signals to June 12, to address growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready in time for the Feb. 17 deadline that Congress had set three years ago. The Senate passed the measure unanimously last week and the bill now heads to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The change is being required because digital signals are more efficient than analog, and ending analog will free up valuable space in the nation's airwaves.

The delay is a victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who maintain that the previous administration mismanaged efforts to ensure that all consumers - particularly poor, rural and minority Americans - will be prepared for the switchover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals still are not ready. People who subscribe to cable or satellite TV or have a newer TV with a digital tuner will not be affected.

"The passage of this bipartisan legislation means that millions of Americans will have the time they need to prepare for the conversion," the White House said in a statement. "We will continue to work with Congress to improve the information and assistance available to American consumers in advance of June 12, especially those in the most vulnerable communities."
Skip over this content Wednesday's vote came one week after House Republicans blocked the bill under a special fast-track procedure that required two-thirds support to pass. This time, the bill passed the House under a regular floor vote, which only requires a simple majority.

"If almost 6 percent of the nation's households lose all TV service, I think most people would declare the digital TV transition to be a failure," Rick Boucher, D-Va., chairman of House Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet, said on the House floor Wednesday.

Opponents of a delay warned, however, that the move will confuse consumers, create added costs for television stations that would continue broadcasting both analog and digital signals for four more months and burden wireless companies and public safety agencies waiting for the airwaves that will be freed up by the switchover.

"It's time for us to move forward on this and keep our word to the American people," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., calling for the transition to proceed Feb. 17.

Democrats have tried to address these concerns by allowing broadcast stations to make the switch to digital signals sooner than the June deadline if they choose. It is unclear how many TV stations plan to take advantage of this option.
Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the House Commerce Committee, has raised concerns that interference issues could prevent some stations from turning off before June 12, because they are scheduled to use new frequencies for their digital broadcasts.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/congress-delays-digital-tv-switch/325568

Todd Rahm

Obama doesn't want the welfare folks to miss the "Change", after all they are the ones that voted for him and of course Bill voted for him too.  :biggrin:

Bill won't be back for 5 days to dispute it either.  :roflmao:

Rich

"Obama doesn't want the welfare folks to miss the "Change", after all they are the ones that voted for him and of course Bill voted for him too"
-----------------------------------------------------
Todd,
What Obama SAYS he wants, is actually quite different from what Obama REALLY wants. You know, kinda like what he says he is gonna do, and then always actually doing something entirely different.  :doh2: I hope the people can get this guy impeached before he destroys America completely.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

cathryn

Quote from: Todd Rahm on February 05, 2009, 07:39:02 AM
Obama doesn't want the welfare folks to miss the "Change", after all they are the ones that voted for him and of course Bill voted for him too.  :biggrin:

Bill won't be back for 5 days to dispute it either.  :roflmao:

are you serious with that post??

Silencer

Before there was TV what did everyone do ?     

cathryn

they actually got outside an did stuff. i dont watch tv but htis damn computer can be addicting.  :iroll:

we didnt have tv when i was growing up and i was so busy raisin hogs and crops in FFA i never even missed it.

i would go to my grandpas on Friday night so i could watch Dukes of Hazard,lol, Bo wa SOOO sexy  :biggrin:

i remember bein  pizzed at my brother cause he got married on a Friday night and i missed the Dukes.  :roflmao: he maried a bitch so that made it that much worse.

Silencer

Hey I remember the Dukes being on Friday night.. are we around the same age ?

I just checked.. we're the exact same age lol  :eyebrownod:

cathryn

lol.

dukes at 8, dallas at 9 and falcons crest at 10.

who shot Jr? lol  :biggrin:

msmith

Quotei would go to my grandpas on Friday night so i could watch Dukes of Hazard,lol, Bo wa SOOO sexy 

I just wanted to ride in the white jeep sooo bad.  :eyebrownod:

You guys are youngsters
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

cathryn

Silencer

I just went and upgraded my cable, I should be set.  I now get the Sportsmans Channel, Outdoor Channel, Millitary Channel, etc etc etc...

Remember to get your computer upgraded as well, Jimbo had some info on it a couple months ago  :biggrin:

alscalls

Quote from: cathryn on February 05, 2009, 07:07:08 PM
they actually got outside an did stuff. i dont watch tv but htis damn computer can be addicting.  :iroll:

we didnt have tv when i was growing up and i was so busy raisin hogs and crops in FFA i never even missed it.

i would go to my grandpas on Friday night so i could watch Dukes of Hazard,lol, Bo wa SOOO sexy  :biggrin:

i remember bein  pizzed at my brother cause he got married on a Friday night and i missed the Dukes.  :roflmao: he maried a bitch so that made it that much worse.

Poor old lady............ :innocentwhistle:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

alscalls

Your mad about being called a Lady arent Ya?............. :innocentwhistle:
AL

cathryn

5 SHOTS

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

alscalls

Quote from: cathryn on February 08, 2009, 10:25:39 PM
uummmm..do ladies fart and belch?

Yup.......They just do not own up to it. :biggrin:
AL

cathryn

alscalls

You said it........I didn't. :nono:.......... :innocentwhistle:
AL