• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Floating Beaver Setup

Started by xbr, February 03, 2007, 01:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xbr

I recall awhile back seeing a floating setup for beaver to use with a 330 conibear.  It was vshaped and made with 2x4's and foam.  Does anyone have any information or links for further info?

FinsnFur

You got me scratchin my head on that one XBR  :confused:
None the less, welcome to the board.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

I don't recall the post you are referring to, but I have made a few sets using a dry log across a stream and a couple of 6 penny nails angled into it to hold the 330 in place and hang below it. I then used several straight dead sticks on either side to fence it. I left them long so if the water rose, they would still keep the log inplace as it rose with the water.

I guess you could do the same thing with some poplar tied to the trigger as a baited set, but I have never tried that. I've just used this in streams/runs.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

xbr

Thanks for your help.  I am new to the board.  I've been a busy business type for 35 yrs.  I'm retiring in the fall and looking forward to trapping, I've been away from it for 25 yrs.  It will be great to have some fun and be a little less productive.

studabaka

:wo: or is that more productive at having fun   :shrug:

Welcome to the board!
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

rjl54

xbr, I know what you're talking about.  I don't know where to direct you to find plans for it though.  I built one and wasn't very satisfied with the result.  It was too easy the way I had it positioned for the beaver to tip the contraption over or snap the coni without being caught.
It might work if a fellow anchored it in a bunch of reeds and forced the beaver to come in from the front.  I used a fresh cut sapling and beaver call for bait.  It drew them but I never had any luck catching them with it.

catskinner

Here is the set up I use. The tip of the V is held together from the underside with a 2X6 cut to fit and nailed on the bottom, this also supports the scent mound on the front of the float and the anchor wire is also attached to it. This set works best with a little current, this keeps the tip of the V pointed upstream so the beaver is swimming into the current. I use western red cedar as it is light and floats well, if you use pine you might have to put styrofoam on the bottom to help it float higher.

studabaka

neat rig..... thanks for sharing

catskinner

You're welcome, glad to be of help.

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site Catskinner
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

catskinner

Thanks, this looks like it is going to be a great site.