• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

fox tail help

Started by paint, December 16, 2006, 03:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paint

i killed a fox about a month ago. i skinned the tail off the bone and put in a bag in the freezer. can anyone tell me what i need and how to do it, or maybe its ruined in the freezer?

studabaka

It should be fine in the freezer. What you do to preserve it really depends on what you want to do with it and how long you want it to last. Your options range from simply air drying it, to applying a preservative, to alum tanning, to true tanning. The cost and process steps basically increase along with what you decide.

If ya want, you can thaw it out, fill it with salt [or if it's split, salt the hide side real good and send it my way. I can drop it in the tan along with other hides I'm doing.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

paint

i heard a guy at work talking about the alum tanning, is that something that i could do myself ?

FinsnFur

Yes, any of the available tans today you could really.
90% of the results depend on preparation anyway...not really the tanning agent.

But If all you want to tan is a squirrel tail, it may not be real cost effective.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com