• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

2023 LBL Hunt Attendance

Started by weedwalker, October 13, 2022, 06:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I've been coming to the hunts for many years. This year, I don't think I'll be able to make it. Having some severe lower back issues and much walking just isn't possible for me. I'll miss not seeing y'all, but just not in the physical shape to make it this year.

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Getting old isnt for Sissies. Right Johnny?
Oh man I can certainly relate to back pain. Luckily mines usually temporary and self inflicted.
I do hope it gets better for ya.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

kyfuzzyface

Quote from: weedwalker on October 13, 2022, 06:35:48 AMI've been coming to the hunts for many years. This year, I don't think I'll be able to make it. Having some severe lower back issues and much walking just isn't possible for me. I'll miss not seeing y'all, but just not in the physical shape to make it this year.
Sorry to hear that Ed
I haven't been in several years, I am in the same boat first me knees and now my back
they wanting to do surgery and go thru my stomach you fix it but I don't thing I am ready for that. Hope you get to feeling better soon and good luck to all !!
Fuzzy

coyote101

I sure hate to hear that Ed. The LBL hunt isn't what it used to be, but still great fun for those who can attend. I miss the years when we had forty or more at the Saturday evening get together. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

You will be missed, Ed! I hope things change between now and February so that you can make it to LBL. It won't be the same without you.

JohnP

Ed, still remember your stopover in Arizona, wish it could have been longer and more often.  Heal up fast and go to the LBL.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

Sorry to hear this Ed!! I know way more about back issues than I ever wanted to know. Best of luck in getting to feeling better my Friend!!

I'm still up in the air on LBL '23 myself. 8 hours driving is about 4 more than I can handle right now still. I'm dealing with self inflicted pain from 30+ years doing roofing. It's catching up real fast on me!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

I feel ya on that. Years of lifting way more than I should have has me down in the back and hip more than I would like to admit.

I havent been for several years due to work schedules but I have very fond memories of the times I did.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyote101

I've got a group of eight coming from Wednesday, February 1st till Sunday the 5th. We will be staying in Aurora again this year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

Steve and I will be there Wed threw Sat, hope you make it Ed!

HaMeR

I won't make it this year unfortunately. However,, I am able to travel 6 hours at a time now. My hope is that I make LBL'24 & am able to travel out west or down South for some Spring turkey hunting on public lands. Id really like to get the Grand Slam on all public land hunts. Good Luck to all that are attending & I hope y'all have the best LBL so far!!!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Very few showed at the hunt this year. It is dying out it seems.

FinsnFur

Quote from: KySongDog on February 08, 2023, 03:37:54 PMVery few showed at the hunt this year. It is dying out it seems.
Did you take your camera?  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 11, 2023, 08:03:58 PM
Quote from: KySongDog on February 08, 2023, 03:37:54 PMVery few showed at the hunt this year. It is dying out it seems.
Did you take your camera?  :biggrin:

There wasn't much to post pics about.  As far as I know, 3 coyotes were shot with 2 recovered. There were 2 bobcats shot with 1 recovered.

Here is a pic of the coyote I shot. I'm also the one that shot the bobcat but couldn't find it. I had problems with my shotgun and that TSS shot I was using but that's a whole 'nother story.

Okanagan

Tell us the story of the coyote and the bobcat.  How you set up and called it, etc.  I like to hear those and always learn something.

FinsnFur

NNNnnnice!  :highclap:

Is that thing on a rotisserie spigot or what is that?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 14, 2023, 07:14:31 PMNNNnnnice!  :highclap:

Is that thing on a rotisserie spigot or what is that?

That rack is a hitch haul carrier from Harbor Freight. I dislike having mangy, smelly varmints inside my 4Runner.  :eyebrownod:

Quote from: Okanagan on February 14, 2023, 04:42:57 PMTell us the story of the coyote and the bobcat.  How you set up and called it, etc.  I like to hear those and always learn something.

I'm probably the last person anyone would want advice from about predator hunting. I'm mediocre at best and just get lucky every once in a while. Anyway, as for the coyote, I hiked back off the gravel road about a mile to get away from other road hunters. I knew where a large pine thicket bordered by a small creek was and thought that might be a good hang out spot for critters. The wind was coming from the thicket across the creek to me which was nice. At LBL you never know which way the wind is going to be blowing in those hills and hollers. I set up about 60 yards from the thicket and started with the bunny blues. I was in to the third series when the coyote came busting up from the creek bank and ran to about 35-40 yards of me. It came to a screeching halt when it saw me lifting the shotgun. I was using TSS #2 shot which I had just bought and never patterned before. Those shells are $12 each. I shot her full in the face and it turned and starting running back to safety. I shot twice more with the last just as she made it to the creek bank. I had to fish her out of the creek and started to just take a pic and leave her rather than drag her a mile back to the truck. Then I remembered I had $36 invested in one coyote. So I commenced to dragging.

The problem with the shotgun (I wasn't using my 835) was that I used too tight a choke and the TSS swelled the choke on the first shot and the pattern went to hell.  I tried switching chokes but the it was too tight to remove by hand. I continued to use the shotgun the next day but switched shells to lead BB's. At that point, I didn't realize (but should have) how bad the pattern was messed up.

I was set up in the same general location when the cat came in. This time I was using a e-caller and playing high pitched rabbit distress. After about 25-30 minutes I was about to quit the stand when I started fooling around with rodent squeaks and vole squeaks. That is when I saw movement about 50 yards out. The cat was slipping in to the caller and about 30-35 yards I shot it. I hit it but not good. It went straight up in the air about 2 feet came down and took off. I shot once more as it disappeared in the thick stuff. I searched for a good long time but couldn't locate it. That made me sick.

At those distances both the coyote and cat should have been DRT on the first shot.  Other guys have used .670 chokes with TSS #2 with no problem. I was using a .665 and thought I would be OK. Wrong. Live and learn. The good news is I was able to get the bulged choke out once I got home and there was no barrel damage.

JohnP

Good story, do you have a good bobcat population where you live? I don't know what e-caller you have but if it has a sound called "Lucky Bird" that has been my go-to call for cats.  Every cat I killed responded to that call and I have killed a hell of a lot of cats.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

Well thank you for the write up.

I haven't been able to go in a long time. Shoot for that matter sense my cousin David passed I haven't been out hunting at all. Gonna have to change that.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.