• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Remember the Molded Tone Board Thread?

Started by THO Game Calls, February 21, 2007, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSparrows

Rick,
I never heard any of your calls but they look great and the tone board flows into the call body real well.
They look great.

Aaron

THO Game Calls

QuoteIn the other tone board thread here, I said something about how its acceptable to use a pre-made (JC reed) in an enclosed reed call but not in a open reed call.

Folks who make statements like the one above, do not really understand what goes into making a custom call.   I know that when I first started making calls, I felt pretty much the same way.  Todd even mentioned that it appeard that I did not tune my reeds back then.

If a collector can tell the difference, then there must be more to it than just sticking a Jc Reed in a peice of wood with a hole in it.  And over time, I learned there was.  I hope you do so also.

QuoteSomeone replied with a long winded post about how they used to make there own reeds for closed reed calls and how it was very hard and time consuming and then the times changed and it became acceptable to use pre-made reeds.

that was Ladobe

QuoteWell maybe times are-a-changing again.

Yes, I have to agree.  For when a master call maker like Ladobe gives his opinion in a thread, and all that is rememberd is that it was "long winded", then the times are a changing - And maybe not for the better.  IMO

I think the issue of molded tone boards comes down to this simple question -

Why are you making calls?

There is no right or wrong asnwer, as long as you answer it honestly, and each answer will be as individual as the people who ask it. 

Like any endevor we truly love, we go through stages.  Where one man is today is not indicative of where he will be tomorrow.   

Robert Frost sums up all of life in hsi poem "The Road Not Taken", and I think it can apply to our call making too.  For in the end, the road not taken will make all the difference.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,   
And sorry I could not travel both   
And be one traveler, long I stood   
And looked down one as far as I could   
To where it bent in the undergrowth;         

Then took the other, as just as fair,   
And having perhaps the better claim   
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;   
Though as for that, the passing there   
Had worn them really about the same,   

And both that morning equally lay   
In leaves no step had trodden black.   
Oh, I marked the first for another day!   
Yet knowing how way leads on to way   
I doubted if I should ever come back.   

I shall be telling this with a sigh   
Somewhere ages and ages hence:   
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,   
I took the one less traveled by,   
And that has made all the difference.

And so it will be with how you are remembered as a call maker.  The beauty of course, is that the choice is yours and yours alone to make.  And no one can fault you for your own opionins - even though they might disagree with them.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Member - Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild & Call Makers & Collectors Association of America

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

desert dog

www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

AWSparrows

Al,

QuoteIf a collector can tell the difference, then there must be more to it than just sticking a Jc Reed in a peice of wood with a hole in it.  And over time, I learned there was.  I hope you do so also.

I blade and tune my JC reeds to the sound I like. :shrug:
Did I say I just stick a reed in a hole? :confused:

Quotewhen a master call maker like Ladobe gives his opinion in a thread, and all that is rememberd is that it was "long winded"

Pardon my ignorance but I do not know who Ladobe is.

QuoteWhy are you making calls?

There are a few answers to that question.
1: I always had a strong passion for hunting and when I started predator hunting in the late 80's that passion grew even stronger. It keeps me more involved with something I love to do.
2: I thought it would be great to call in a fox or coyote with a call I made myself....and it is.
3: I saw custom made closed reed calls being sold for $65.00 and having an idea of how they were made, I thought that was VERY salty. I still feel that way. I know my calls are not "show pieces" and that is why they are priced about the same as mass produced production calls.
I would rather my calls were not on someones shelf, but rather on a lanyard or in someones glove box.

Aaron

Todd Rahm

QuoteQuote
If a collector can tell the difference, then there must be more to it than just sticking a Jc Reed in a peice of wood with a hole in it.  And over time, I learned there was.  I hope you do so also.

I blade and tune my JC reeds to the sound I like.
Did I say I just stick a reed in a hole?

Aaron I don't think Al is singling you out, I think hes speaking in general (I Might be wrong). This going to be blunt but factual. A MAJORITY of call spinners do just that "sticking a Jc Reed in a peice of wood with a hole in it".  Some aer doing this to collect a quick buck, some are doing it to see if its the niche they want and can improve at, some are improving, and theres the ones........... that try,try again, learn, and in the process better their calls and better their call making abilities, turn out a fine product and in the process and to the end........................................are teaching others and spreading wisdom.

QuoteQuote
when a master call maker like Ladobe gives his opinion in a thread, and all that is rememberd is that it was "long winded"

Pardon my ignorance but I do not know who Ladobe is.

This statement isn't about the fact that ya don't know Ladobe, its about the fact that Ladobe wrote a very good reply with great bits of information, and alls you mentioned remembering about it, was that it was "long winded".

These post aren't meant as attacks, they are meant as informtional. If your feeling attacked, then re-evaulate yourself, because its hitting home somewhere. If they reply is on the defense or attack, well then re-evaluate yourself, your missing the big picture.

I'de say 60% of call spinners are in just building calls (15% of these are just in it for a quick buck), 20% are making calls, and 10% are mastering it. Whats this boile down to? Well look at the PM auctions a few months ago, when they were running the big auction boom. There were ton of auctions that were running and not moving much, but everytime Pilgrim placed a call, they went fast and high. Kinda made the other calls look inadequate. Patrick sorry to drop your name, I was attempting to make a point. For those wondering I'd place Patrick in the 20% group, with a big emphasis on a destiny to MASTER. I really don't care for the auctions on a full time basis, but the gives you call spinners a good indication on where your calls rate over all.

Man I have a ton I'de like to touch on but time is an issue.

Hey Aaron do you remember who was selling closed reeds for $65?

rjl54

At the risk of sounding like a "kiss-butt", I'm going to chime in because threads like this one are valuable to newcomers like me.  Not only are we newbies trying to develop style, skill, and improve the quality of our calls, we are also learning about attitude.  My impression is that there are two camps; quality vs. commerce.  :nofgr:  No, I am NOT saying those who crank out calls in large volume are not interested in quality.  We're talking impressions here and my impression is that some guys want a name to sell calls while others sell calls to make their name.
  Every now and then I see a call I gave someone a year ago.  I'm embarrassed.  I guess I should reflect on how much improvement I've made but all I can think is; "Glad I didn't sign it!"  Yeah, I'd like to sell my calls someday (already have my logo designed) but not yet.  Just not ready.
  I appreciate the honesty put forth on this thread.  I wish their was some type of category on one of these boards were a fellow could post a call and get an honest evaluation.  Maybe a poll type rating or something.    I've seen some postings of calls that looked plum nasty.  But because most guys on the boards are polite, nothing but praise is given.  I suppose this is meant to offer encouragement.  But fellas, these guys who are making calls that look like 18th century sex toys really need someone to stand up and say something.
                                                                                          Randy

BryanStanley

I agree with Randy. Maybe there should be a place where you can post calls you have made just for the purpose of having them critiqued. Just a suggestion.

Bryan

AWSparrows

Randy,

You are absolutly correct. I see posts where people post a pic of a call they made and are asking for feedback, I can not remember anyone ever posting a negative comment.
I know what you are saying about looking at calls you made when you started. I still have a bunch of calls I made when I started and think "man I'm glad I never sold these!" 

Aaron

bearmanric

i hate the auction's. but to say who i concider the great newer callmaker's would be Pilgrim .Ridgeviewer and moose. they have class to me. man i wish this shop was done already. i have some great idea's to try. no laminate's that's not me. did i say i hate the auction's it was mainly a bullshit session for a certaian group . the auction's are better now. i asked to put them in there own little sub forum. didnt happen. Ladobe i concider a elder and Jay Nessitter people to learn from. Jay helped me with tuning the closed Reed's no i dont just pop them in. Rick

AWSparrows

Todd,

QuoteAaron I don't think Al is singling you out, I think hes speaking in general (I Might be wrong).

Al responded to quotes from me. I figured he was talking in general, but also to me.  :confused: Does that make sense??

QuoteThis going to be blunt but factual. A MAJORITY of call spinners do just that "sticking a Jc Reed in a piece of wood with a hole in it".

I could not say what others do, but will take your word.
The JC reeds sound OK "out of the bag" and will produce like that. Maybe some people like the "factory" sound. :shrug:
Are the JC reeds tuned before they get inserted in mass produced calls??
Everone is different...."beauty is in thee eye of the beholder", "different strokes for different folks", so on and so on..
Someone could make a closed reed call and think....that's an "ok" call.
Someone could receive that same call and think....WOW! that is awesome.
Someone else could receive that same call and think....Thats nice, but I can do that and improve it here.

QuoteThis statement isn't about the fact that ya don't know Ladobe, its about the fact that Ladobe wrote a very good reply with great bits of information, and alls you mentioned remembering about it, was that it was "long winded".

Like I said I never heard of Ladobe, I do not know who he is.  I remembered reading someones post that was in response to my post about the acceptance of using a pre-made reed in an enclosed reed call. The other thing I remembered was it was a looong post.

QuoteThese post aren't meant as attacks, they are meant as informational. If your feeling attacked, then re-evaulate yourself, because its hitting home somewhere. If they reply is on the defense or attack, well then re-evaluate yourself, your missing the big picture.

I do not feel anyone is "attacking" me, were just talking here. This is the internet, I do not take anything typed personal.
I see the big picture quite clear.
I understand some guys have been doing this a long time and would like to be known as the first one to do 'this or that'.
In the world of hunting predator hunting  we are a minority, its getting bigger but still  is the low man on the totem pole.

QuoteHey Aaron do you remember who was selling closed reeds for $65?

Yes, I will send you a PM.

Aaron

Brad H

"Every now and then I see a call I gave someone a year ago.  I'm embarrassed."

That sure rings a bell. Especially when I started, there was a fast improving period. I did a lot of experimenting and every time I came up with a style I liked better weather it was tone board angle, air channel size, body length, air trough depth or length,  a combo of all that and finish, or whatever, I wished all the previous ones were just like it.

That's a sign of improving, and wanting to improve IMO.

"I've seen some postings of calls that looked plum nasty.  But because most guys on the boards are polite, nothing but praise is given."

That's what Ladobe calls "canned praise", (I love that term).

There's nothing wrong with it, but it deprives a call maker of the honest opinion he might be asking for. At best a call maker will be able to see through it and make adjustments if nothing sells at that time. At worst there could be some crying in some form which will lead to sympathy sales which is no way to sell a call.

Granted, there are times calls just won't sell no matter what. But I think if a call maker wants constructive criticism and an honest opinion, he should get it, and I think this board is a great place to get it.

Brad

Todd Rahm

I too agree on the constructive critisism, but ya still have to be careful. Some folks don't want it, and others miss read into the post and its intentions. I'll still offer it on most cases and a few I won't, but the best way to get it is ask for it, and be open.

PM replied back Aaron.

QuoteThe JC reeds sound OK "out of the bag" and will produce like that. Maybe some people like the "factory" sound.
Are the JC reeds tuned before they get inserted in mass produced calls??
Everone is different...."beauty is in thee eye of the beholder", "different strokes for different folks", so on and so on..
Someone could make a closed reed call and think....that's an "ok" call.
Someone could receive that same call and think....WOW! that is awesome.
Someone else could receive that same call and think....Thats nice, but I can do that and improve it here.

No not all the JC reeds sound ok out of the box, and you'll be lucky to find two out of 50 that sound like in the same call body, ok, well to the human ear, maybe two a like out of 20.  :wink:

The folks that like the factory sound aren't looking at your custom calls they are looking at a $7 Johnny Stewart call!

The rest of that statement makes perfect sense and I can't debate that.  :wink:

Anyone want to tackle the placement of the reed in the call, the shape of the barrel, the shape of the mouth piece for allowing air through, back pressure, or any of the finer notes that effect the use or sound of the call?

THO Game Calls

Now the rovin' gambler he was very bored
He was tryin' to create a next world war
He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
He said I never engaged in this kind of thing before
But yes I think it can be very easily done
We'll just put some bleachers out in the sun
And have it on Highway 61.

(Bob Dylan - Highway 61)

This isn't getting anywhere, nor will it.   

See ya in the bleachers.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Member - Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild & Call Makers & Collectors Association of America

AWSparrows

QuoteSee ya in the bleachers.

Al,
You opinion and input is important. Please leave your jersey on.
I'm open minded and the things I post are just my thoughts & feelings at this time.
Nothing is carved in stone.

Aaron

THO Game Calls

Aaron,

You have an amazing taletn with wood.  Your laminating is very well done, and you work with beautiful woods.   Your future as a call maker is only limited by the company you keep and your desire to push the envelope. 

But you must decide where you want to go as a call maker.  I wont change your mind, nor will anyone else.  It is up to each of us to choose what we want to accomplish wth everything we do, not just call making.   

That being the case, there is nothing to be gained from arguing about this stuff.  If there is ever anything I can lend you a hand, my e mail and the PM function are always available.   

Just because we are not on the same page when it comes to making calls, does not mean we have to close the book altogether, but it might be time to set it down for a bit.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

AWSparrows

Al,

Thank you for the kind words, coming from you it means a LOT. I know what your saying and respect that.
Thanks for your offer of help I may take you up on it.  I've been stuck in a rut lately, not sure why. :confused:

Untill the next chapter then.

Thanks again
Aaron

keekee

One thing that was brought to me when I started making calls, that always stuck with me..................

You haft to spend the time to learn the trade, you need to research the other calls that have been made, and you must make a solid product to meet what the buyer is looking for!

I made a call once that was close to the same as another call maker. Not on purpose but it happended, this changed my call making for ever, and some that have been around for a long time will remember this. I took a  fence to the post and it went into a all out war between me and several call makers. But after it was all over and I calmed down, and took a look at what they said. I understood why he was up set and why they said what they did. And when I under stood and done the research! I new why the other call maker was mad and for good reason.

Take the time to research you work and those before you. Learn to understand what has been done and why. Learn about the reeds and how they are made and the history there in them. The wood, the finishes, the callmakers. Then step back and think on it......

No matter what you think, there is more to this than a piece of wood or reed! It has roots! Oh, and I still have that call Todd!,,,lol ( it will never be sold) That was my word and I stood by it!.....Hint! I keep that call in the case, when ever I get in a slump or under pressure I take a look at that call, it reminds me of my roots and my start!

Guys like I said there is allot more to this than meets the eye to allot of us. Don't take this as giving out a hard road to hoe, call making has roots that took many years to build. Its not all about what looks good, or is collectable or what ever. This sport as I like to think of it has many years of builders!

Brent

CypressSlough

Well said Brent. Callmaking is an Art form that should be preserved. Not one that should be manipulated just to be a money maker. All callmakers should study the history of calls and callmaking to truly appreciate the art and understand all of the things that go into making a call. Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

bigben

reading all of these posts between these and the old tone board thread.  I have only made a few calls and all have been howlers.  the reason I started making my own was because i knew I could improve on what was allready out there.  I messed around with a few different boards and I like the sound of em.  I learned a good bit about what certian things to do to make them sound different.  in the end I became a better caller because of it.  mainly because of calling all the time to try to get different sounds out of each one.  even calls that I get from others I make em fit to my needs.  I am unsure if others do this or not.  but if you other callmakers rework something even if it is just cutting a reed a certian way or a thicker reed do you tell the callmaker to help him make his product better?  or am I on my own in doing this? :shrug:  I now I had told this to another callmaker that his howler seemed to work better with a thicker reed in it and he got really upset.  I am interested in what others think on this.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.