• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

monkey off my back

Started by buckcrazy, April 17, 2010, 10:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckcrazy

after a slow morning i came home to eat some breakfast. just couldnt stand not being in the woods anylonger so i went back out. i rode my fourwheeler about half way up the mountain and decided to listen awhile . turned it off and goobbbell gobble gobble, 200 yds straight up the mountain. i walked about 75yds and set up. first series and he tore it up, i thought this is my bird here. by the way its 9:30. 2nd series same thing only closer, now im starten to feel the old ticker starten speed up a bit. this is where it starts to turn sour, yelp,yelp,yelp,yelp i hear his ladies. well this goes on for a hour, so i decide it time to move. i move on up the mountain slowly tryn to stop and listen every 10yds or so. i can still hear him gobble every once in awhile but getting fainter. i finally make it to where i want to be and set up again, first series nothing, 2nd series nothing now im really getting tore up. so i call my buddy to see how his morning is going and talk about 15 minutes, hang up the phone and decide to call it a morning and gobble. 100yds out the hill. its now 15 after 11. i call he gobbles, he gobbles i call. back and forth, back and forth,on and on,on and on. this goes on for 4 hours no joke. this turkey has gobbled at least 200 times. now im thinking there is no way im leavin after putting all this time in this bird. so about 2:30 i hear another bird down where i parked at. surely ill get one i was thinking. well hed gobble then the one above me would gobble. well at 3:00 i hear another one 300yds around the side of the mountain and hes hot, double gobblin every breath and coming fast. he gets to 100yds and shuts up, im thunkin hes either comin or something spooked him. well next thing i hear is thumpbummm and i see his red white and blue head and his fan coming up over alittle nole. he struts up to 20yds and stretches his neck for a better look where im settin and boom lights out. well the bird ive been callin to all day gobbles when i shoot, hes definitle a 3 or 4 years old. i be waitin on him in morning at daylight. hopefully things are diferent cause hes only got till 10:00 ive got church. ive been huntin turkeys since i was 15 now 38 and this is by far the hardest time ive ever had getting a bird but one that ill always remember.

buckcrazy

by the way the wife was sick this morning and didnt feel like going. to say the least shes pretty upset now thinks i killed her bird :doh2:

FinsnFur

LOL, I gotta agree thats a LOT of time to put in on a bird.
But you know you had fun. :eyebrownod:
Thanks for taking us along. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

markTNhunter

way to go mike i knew you would GET-RR DONE  :highclap:. LOOK OUT turkeys when ole buckcrazy gets dialed in on yea its all over, id say he will let the air out of 3 more long beards before next weekend. :bowingsmilie:

HaMeR

Congratulations on the bird & nice write up on it.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bambam

Congrats !!  I've found over the years that if I can get one gobbling after 11:00, I can more often than not get a shot. Killing him is another matter.  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle: :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

Todd Rahm

Conrats Buck. Us that don't have turkeys where we live, sure enjoy pictures when ya can get them.  :wink:

iahntr

I can't believe you'd shoot your wifes bird like that.   :shrug:       :laf:
Good hunt. Thanks for sharin it with us.
Scott