• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

'Nother salmon - more pics added

Started by Okanagan, July 25, 2019, 12:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Chinook, fought exceptionally hard, 9 lbs. plus.  Right off the Coast Guard station, Port Angeles, WA.  They are beautiful just out of the water, and have tiny purple and yellow spots that sort of glow but fade away within minutes. 

The adipose fin, the little soft flipper fin which would be on the fish's back above my index finger toward the right side of the pic, is missing. A small bump of scar marks where the hatchery worker clipped off the fin when it was a minnow.   Our father in the other Washington has decreed in his wisdom that we can keep and eat such fish without adipose fin, but must release unharmed fish with an adipose, because they probably hatched in a wild stream rather than in a fish hatchery.  Estimates are that hatchery workers manage to clip maybe half of the hatchery minnows before releasing them, and some only get part of the fin clipped off....

pitw

I feel sorry for the fish.  Who ever decided the fish should lose a fin should have a finger knocked off.  See how he/she likes that.
Nice fish. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

remrogers

Fresh caught salmon is great off the grill. Flavor is better then anything that had been frozen.

FinsnFur

:bowingsmilie: I can taste that bay from here :thumb2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: remrogers on July 26, 2019, 08:58:21 AM
Fresh caught salmon is great off the grill. Flavor is better then anything that had been frozen.

Yep.  Tasty!  My wife grew up here, eating fresh salmon, and fresh Dungeness crab, and she doesn't care for either if it has been frozen. She will politely decline.  We tried to OD on fresh unfrozen salmon last week, and rather than freeze our surplus, we give it away to family and friends who value fresh unfrozen salmon.   

Got skunked yesterday for the first time this season, but the scenery was good.  We fished the outer edge of seaweed kelp beds below cliffs west of Port Angeles, WA.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: remrogers on July 26, 2019, 08:58:21 AM

Oops.  Thought you were from inland and wondered how you knew the taste of fresh salmon, but just noticed you are from NW Oregon, good salmon country .  I was born in Vanport, a suburb of Portland, a few months before it washed away.