• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Old sign

Started by snafu, April 13, 2014, 06:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I focused all of my time hunting for fresh lion sign. From 1st snow until last snow melted. I hunted most every day. Driving 50-80 miles of gravel roads. Looking for a cross over track. I checked countless creek & river bridge underpasses. Not one dang fresh track, not even an old one.

I found this old track a few days ago. Appeared one came down the creek bank then jumped across the creek. This track has been rain & snowed on. I tossed a 1" stone down next to one of the prints for size reference. Tracks looked to be 4+" wide. There has been 6 sightings in the area of this creek over recent yrs. 3 sightings in the last 18 months. Last sighting occurred last Fall.

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

Lion track I found along a Iowa River sand bar last yr.

snafu

I missed this lion by 24hrs. Track is a day old & slightly melted. The wooden post are old bridge pilons, not fence posts.

snafu

Best single print form the snow track above. I est these tracks to be 4"+

snafu

Right rear paw print. I found on a river sand bar 2yrs ago. Track is 3+".

snafu

I've spoken with roughly 40 +/- landowners now that have had a sighting or two. From the information I have obtained in the last 8yrs. These lions are inhabiting at least 3 counties in their range. Spoke with a lion hunter a few yrs ago. He told me a resident lion will travel his territory roughly every two wks. There is some truth in what he said. But apparently that observation is not true in all cases, with all lions.

Most enduring, frustrating hunt I've ever had. But some day will be pay day. Because I'm not going to quit.

riverboss

It looks like your putting alot of time in, it will pay off in the end with the drive you have. How much would one with a 4in track weight? I cant say i know much about them but wish we had some to hunt.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

snafu

Quote from: riverboss on April 13, 2014, 07:13:21 PM
It looks like your putting alot of time in, it will pay off in the end with the drive you have. How much would one with a 4in track weight? I cant say i know much about them but wish we had some to hunt.

I can't say riverboss. I've never killed one.

I have seen 2 in central Iowa in the last 8yrs. 1st one I seen while coyote hunting. It was about an hr before Sunset. I seen it sitting on a far away ridgeline. It was looking North over a very wide creek valley. It soon got up & walked into some standing corn. That didn't get harvested before the snow hit.

2nd lion I seen was sitting along a creek on the North end of a small town in the Summer. I was doing a delivery. I did a quick double take & drove on. 

Okanagan

Yep, hang in there.  You are going about it right.

Wish I could swap a few of our lions out here for some of your tracking snow days.   We just came through the worst winter season for tracking snow I've experienced.  We didn't have a single day of tracking snow in good lion country this entire winter within day hunt driving distance.   I didn't hunt much because of that.  I'm in pretty good lion country but I haven't hit a huntably fresh track this entire winter season. Too much snow or too little is the norm-- waist deep or raining. :madd: :shrug:

snafu

I don't know about "right" What I do know is. I have yet to figure out any pattern to them. If such a thing exists? Some of the people whom I spoke with. That have had more than one sighting. They also told me their sightings were roughly 2 wks apart. So when the lion hunter told me that. I thought I might be onto something of importance? Well in my case = nope.(probably because I'm Norwegian?)  :innocentwhistle:

I've tried various scenarios in finding some fresh sign. What I have concluded from my efforts. It pretty much boils down to S.H luck. As for stumbling across a fresh track. This Summer & Fall is going to suck, waiting on Winter.

riverboss

What part of Iowa are you in? I hunted in brooklin for birds for years it was alot of fun. I met alot of good people and had many meals at herbs steak house.

snafu

Quote from: riverboss on April 14, 2014, 06:17:04 PM
What part of Iowa are you in? I hunted in brooklin for birds for years it was alot of fun. I met alot of good people and had many meals at herbs steak house.

There has been a lion sighted around there for some yrs now.

Some people claim lions only pass through Iowa...Oh really? says I. Apparently not good enough habitat or whatever? Which proves my point... The very air abounds in idiots,  :laf:

riverboss

I remember years ago a Bull Elk was hanging around. I never even gave a thought to a mountain lion being around, i did see alot of fox and coyotes though. I realy liked being their at holloween the whole town seemed to come alive

FinsnFur

Did last nights fresh snow give ya an extended advantage Snafu?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 14, 2014, 09:47:13 PM
Did last nights fresh snow give ya an extended advantage Snafu?

No Jim it didn't. Thin ice layer on the gravel roads & a skiff of snow on the fields. No matter though. I'll be checking for sign all Summer along the water sources.