• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The Harvest.

Started by nastygunz, August 03, 2020, 01:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I enjoy looking at pics of folks doing their own food.  Our tomats are no where close to as ready as yours.  Beans, peas, onions, spuds and raspberry's are being ate in large amounts and froze for winter use.  I've ate soooooo many raspberry's that I think I'm changing color. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Another month or so and it will be time to fill that freezer with wild game!

Hawks Feather

There is a lot (of positive things) to be said about knowing where your food came from and how it was processed.

Okanagan

Lookin tasty!  Good for you to do the work.  Home canned tastes way better but we have to work to get that taste.  I love this harvest time of year.

Where we live on my son's place, he has a big garden, several fruit trees and big patches of strawberries, raspberries and enough blueberries to be commercial if he wanted.  Bing cherries are past prime, two kinds of plums ripe, two kinds of edible pod peas, raspberries at mid peak, blueberry varieties some ripe and some not. The last of strawberries are still on the vine, cherry tomatoes just coming on.  I ate so many berries, cherries, plums and peas that my system switched over to flush-through and I had to back off.  Beans on the way, none ripe yet, and the grape vines are loaded with tiny unripe grapes. 

I may make a blueberry pie tomorrow.  Made two big cherry pies with big red cherries, not ideal for pies but they ate well with French vanilla.

This is making me hungry so will go browse the garden.  We have three young bucks working the fruit trees plus some does.  The garden is high fenced.

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on August 03, 2020, 05:39:39 PM
There is a lot (of positive things) to be said about knowing where your food came from and how it was processed.

^^ This^^

True on several levels.

JohnP

Our daughter (Mandy) does all homegrown foods to include beef.  A few days back we had her boys over for diner, steak on the grill.  Her youngest said after his first bite "this isn't home grown beef". 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on August 04, 2020, 03:33:54 PM
Our daughter (Mandy) does all homegrown foods to include beef.  A few days back we had her boys over for diner, steak on the grill.  Her youngest said after his first bite "this isn't home grown beef".

Love it!

She is raising him right.

Now if he has the discernment not to say that the first time a new boss takes him out to dinner, he is ready to take on the world.