• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Oil pan vs rock

Started by Okanagan, March 03, 2020, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

400 yards up an old spur road off of a main logging road, came on this sequence in the snow.

First photo shows where a low clearance vehicle heading away from the camera hit a rock on the center hump of the two track road.  It moved the rock slightly to the left and must have bent down something on the vehicle because from that point on, something was dragging on the hump.

Second photo is about 40 feet farther, where the vehicle hit a second rock, in the lower right corner of the photo.  It broke off a chunk of pan metal with the drain plug in it, which is lying on the snow by the red arrow.  From that impact onward there is a trail of oil.  It seemed like the vehicle was going pretty fast for such a poor road.  Apparently the vehicle stopped and leaked out most of its oil at the big splotch about 8 feet farther along, but no one got out of the vehicle to look under it, or at least I did not see any footprints.

Two pics of the pan metal with drain plug.  The vehicle left an ever smaller trail of oil drips for the next 400 yards, to the main haul road. Never caught up with the vehicle so it was either towed or driven away before I came along.

When I went up that road last week, we found tracks where a lion had laid down in the road and then walked along it a bit.  No tire tracks in unbroken snow last week.

pitw

:alscalls:

I like the part where they never checked best. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Big rock in the middle of the road, very suspicious, did you find any big foot tracks anywhere around the vicinity? 🕵 :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on March 03, 2020, 07:29:14 PM
:alscalls:

I like the part where they never checked best. :doh2:

Hey, what you don't know can't hurt you!   I'll bet the driver stopped after the noise of cracking off a chunk of oil pan, raced the engine a time or two and since it was still running, kept going.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on March 04, 2020, 08:13:34 AM
Big rock in the middle of the road, very suspicious, did you find any big foot tracks anywhere around the vicinity? 🕵 :innocentwhistle:

I think you are on to something.  The local Bigfoot's cousin runs Sasquatch Towing Service...  :huh: :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Yea, it does sound like 'something' set up a trap for a vehicle.  If the vehicle and people inside got sucked up into a spacecraft after the vehicle stopped they will never be seen again.

JohnP

Some people just don't use the brains God gave them.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

HAHA That is funny and kind of concerning both. How can you hear a big bang from under the vehicle and NOT want to check it out. I wonder how far they got before the engine starting to knock.
Awesome detective work Clyde :eyebrow: That was kinda fun :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com