• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

72 year old woman wants to get pregnant.

Started by cathryn, July 14, 2009, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

72-Year-Old Woman Trying to Have Baby

(July 14) - The last thing on the mind of a 72-year-old woman just might be having a baby. But that's not the case for Jenny Brown. The British septuagenarian who lives in London is desperately trying to get pregnant, according to The Daily Mail.
So far, Brown has spent nearly $50,000 on six in vitro fertilization treatments in the United States and Italy, and has been unsuccessful in getting pregnant. She says she's ready to spend more and will travel to IVF clinics around the world that offer treatment to women her age.

Brown said she waited until later in life to try to conceive because she had been busy pursuing various academic degrees when she was younger.

"My studies meant that children kept getting delayed. The right time finally came in my early fifties and since then I've been attempting -- and failing -- with IVF," she told The Daily Mail.

If Brown does have a child, she would become the oldest mother in the world. Critics have called her irresponsible for trying to get pregnant at her age.

"She is at high risk of preeclampsia, miscarriage and diabetes. She also won't have enough energy to care for the child properly and is ultimately being irresponsible," one critic said.

But Brown, who's never married or been in a serious relationship, said she's ready for the challenge.

"I know it'll be hard work. It'll change my life completely and I'm prepared for that," she said.

Brown is appealing for women aged between 20 and 35 to come forward as possible egg donors.
"It's important that I carry the baby myself because I believe that even if I get pregnant with a donated egg I will pass genetic material on to the baby while I carry it in the womb," Brown said.

http://news.aol.com/health/article/72-year-old-ivf-pregnancy/571249

IMO, theres a reason 72 year old women cant get pregnant.

theyre too old. sorry but its the way i feel about it.

raising a child takes alot of energy.

shed be 90 when the kid graduated for cripes sakes.

she needs to get a dog. :biggrin:

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

This woman is an idiot.  She has no concern for the baby or what life it would have with granny.   :holdon:

CCP

QuoteBut is she hot looking?....

:laf: I knew I could count on ole nastygun.  :laf: z
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Quote from: nastygunz on July 14, 2009, 06:58:06 PM
But is she hot looking?.... :innocentwhistle:

Nasty
So ya wantin' to be a sperm donor?  :confused:  Now that's NASTY!   :eyebrownod:

nastygunz

If I could lock her in a Best Western hotel with a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee and Bill Clinton her problem would be solved  :yoyo: :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Why is it if a man fathers a child at 72 other men are proud of him but this women is getting ridiculed and basically spit at :holdon:  It's her life and she can damb well do what she wants with it.   :wink:  I have a hard time telling someone how to live their life and then bitching about our goverment telling me how to live mine. :rolleye:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on July 15, 2009, 07:00:58 AM
Why is it if a man fathers a child at 72 other men are proud of him but this women is getting ridiculed and basically spit at :holdon:  It's her life and she can damb well do what she wants with it.   :wink:  I have a hard time telling someone how to live their life and then bitching about our goverment telling me how to live mine. :rolleye:

It is not her life I give a damn about.  It is the life of the baby and its health I care about.  At 72 years old, it makes no sense to be birthing children.  But common sense isn't so common, is it?

cathryn

i agree with Semp on this one.

the owman ,at her age is being selfish and not thinking about the life the child would have more than probably growing up without a parent in their life.

for the record, i dont think a 72 year old man has any business fathering a child either, for the same reason but thats just my opinion.

pitw

Okay if you don't think a 72 year old woman should have children now that we have the technology for it.   Do you think we should use the same technology for keeping people alive past 45 years as that was the age for most when we didn't have the techy stuff.  Why shouldn't the child grow up with a parent?  Both my grandmas livedpast 95.

FinsnFur

I dont think they'd make much of a parent at that age. Heck I'm having a tough time dealing with the teenagers garbage and I'm 42.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I know a bunch of people that made piss pore parents at sixteen too.  I just saw on the news that the Spanish woman who had twins at 66 {I think} died of cancer leaving the two and a half year old boys as orphans.

cathryn

exactly. now theyre trying to decide who will rise the twins.

Oldest New Mom Dies, Leaves Twins

By DANIEL WOOLLS, AP

MADRID (July 15) -- A Spanish woman who deceived a U.S. fertility clinic about her age and become the oldest woman to give birth has died at 69, leaving behind 2-year-old twins, newspapers reported Wednesday.

Maria del Carmen Bousada, the oldest woman to give birth, died at age 69, leaving behind 2-year-old twins.

Maria del Carmen Bousada gave birth in December 2006 after telling a clinic in Los Angeles that she was 55, the facility's maximum age for single women receiving in-vitro fertilization. Guinness World Records said the 66-year-old was the oldest on record to give birth and the case ignited fierce debate over how much responsibility fertility clinics have over their patients.

Bousada told an interviewer at the time that the Pacific Fertility Center did not ask her for identification, and maintained that because her mother had died at 101, she stood a good chance of living long enough to raise her children.

Dr. Vicken Sahakian, director and owner of the clinic, said Bousada falsified her birth date on documents from Spain.
When he learned of the deception, "I figured something might happen and wind up being a disaster for these kids, and unfortunately I was right," he said.

It's easy for women to lie to their doctors, he said.

"We don't ask for passports, obviously," Sahakian said. "When is the last time you went to a doctor and he asked you for a birth certificate? We're not detectives here."

Bousada's brother told the local newspaper Diario de Cadiz that she had died but he did not disclose the cause. The newspaper said, without citing a source, that Bousada had been diagnosed with a tumor shortly after giving birth.

Sahakian said he implanted the Spanish woman with a younger woman's eggs and donated sperm, using hormones to "rejuvenate" her uterus with hormone therapy after she had been in menopause for 18 years.

The hormone treatment lasted three weeks. Sahakian said he did not believe that increased the woman's cancer risk.
"Nothing she did (to get pregnant) caused her illness," he said.

The brother, Ricardo Bousada, told the Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico de Catalunya that he had exclusively sold details of his sister's death to an unidentified television program and that the proceeds would go to looking after his sister's twin boys, Pau and Christian.

Repeated calls by The Associated Press to Ricardo Bousada's residence in the southern province of Cadiz went unanswered. A woman who answered the phone at a number listed for another brother, Jose Luis Bousada, declined to comment. Her death was also reported by the national newspapers El Mundo

There was no word on who would raise the twins. Bousada had once said she would look for a younger man to help her raise them.
Skip over this content

Bousada lived with her mother most of her life in Cadiz and worked in a department store before retiring. She decided to have children after her mother died in 2005 and initially kept her plan secret from her family, she told reporters.

She told the British tabloid News of the World that she sold her house to raise $59,000 to pay for the in-vitro fertilization.
"I think everyone should become a mother at the right time for them," Bousada told the paper. "Often circumstances put you between a rock and a hard place, and maybe things shouldn't have been done in the way they were done, but that was the only way to achieve the thing I had always dreamed of, and I did it," she said.

Spanish law on assisted reproduction sets no age limit, but state-funded and private clinics that offer the procedure set the ceiling at age 50 in an informal agreement based on recommendations from the scientific community, according to the Health Ministry.

There is no U.S. law limiting the age at which women can receive in vitro fertilization but Sahakian said he generally limits it to 55 or 56 because "I would like the mother ... to basically survive until the kids reach 18."

When Bousada finally told her relatives she was two months pregnant, they thought she was joking, she said.

"Yes, I am old of course, but if I live as long as my mom did, imagine, I could even have grandchildren," she told the News of the World.
Allan Pacey, secretary of the British Fertility Society, said the organization recommends that assisted conception generally not be provided to women beyond the natural age of menopause at about 50.

"The rationale for all that is that nature didn't design women to have assisted conc
eption beyond the age of the natural menopause...once you get into the mid-50s, I think nature is trying to tell us something," Pacey told The AP.
(i Gree whole heartedly)

He added: "I think many people would worry about providing fertility treatment to women in their 60s. I think as a general rule, to embark on pregnancy when you may not see your child go to university is potentially a very difficult situation."
Adriana Iliescu, a Romanian who in 2005 also gave birth at 66, although she was 130 days younger than Bousada, said she was pained to hear of her death and what it meant for her sons.

"It is a great sadness when kids are orphans but civil society will help these children," she told The AP.
She described her little daughter Eliza as "very energetic and spoiled. We dance and sing together."
"I don't feel I am getting old. My pregnancy kept me young," Iliescu said.

http://news.aol.com/article/oldest-mom-dies/572373?icid=main 

pitw

On the same news cast  they told about how many people were on the plane that went down in Iran and a bunch of auto accidents.  All of which also left orphans behind so I would think it don't matter when you have kids as there are no guaranty's on life span.  I'm willing to bet if you were to ask them kids if they were happy or sad to have been born I'd know which answer you'd get.

cathryn

an accident that invilves the loss of the lives of a parent or both paent is quite different,imo, than making a conscious choice where you knw chnaces are your child will grow up parentless.

thats selfish on the paert of the proposed parent,imo.

pitw

Quote from: cathryn on July 16, 2009, 08:02:06 AM
an accident that invilves the loss of the lives of a parent or both paent is quite different,imo, than making a conscious choice where you knw chnaces are your child will grow up parentless.

thats selfish on the paert of the proposed parent,imo.

Then I must be selfish :doh2:  Everyone who knew me as a younger person said I wouldn't live to see thirty but I had my first child at 40.  I see it as no part of mine to say when a person should do what with their own body.  If someone tells me what to do with myself I have a tendency to get my hackles up.

cathryn

imo,40s a far sight younger than 72 and with the life expectancy  what it  is today you could feel confident that if you had a child at 40 youd live, barring any disaster to see that child to adulthood.

wanting to start a family at 72, when youve alredy basically surpassed life expectancy ds selfish,imo.

pitw

Quote from: cathryn on July 16, 2009, 10:13:23 AM
imo,40s a far sight younger than 72 and with the life expectancy  what it  is today you could feel confident that if you had a child at 40 youd live, barring any disaster to see that child to adulthood.

wanting to start a family at 72, when youve alredy basically surpassed life expectancy ds selfish,imo.

Okay I'll agree with you on this one.  Funny but it seems trying to get the last word in a discussion with a woman from down south is exactly like trying to get the last word in with my wife :shrug:
   Would it be okay if she got pregnant from not practicing safe sex :eyebrow:?