• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

calling isn't everything

Started by bambam, August 25, 2010, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

With fall turkey season getting closer, I thought I'd share a hunt with you all from about 20 or so years ago. I was a young turkey hunter hunting my Granddad's farm one October morning. Things were not going good. I hadn't seen or heard a turkey or found any fresh sign. Disgusted, I sat down around noon on a low finger ridge between an oak flat and a water hole to rest and eat my lunch. I ate and became sleepy in the warm fall sun. I dozed off and awoke an hour later to the sound of scratching in the leaves. I looked to my left, and thought I was dreaming.

A flock of at least 12 longbeards was scratching on the oak flat just 35 yards to my right. In my youthful excitement, I moved too fast and was immediately spotted. The gobblers scattered, going in all directions, and I never got a shot.

I was depressed beyond belief. I sat there for several minutes feeling like an idiot and a failure. I slowly gathered my gear and stood to make the long trudge back to my truck. I had gone about 50 yards when I heard a gobbler yelp, about 100 yards in front to my right.  Then I heard another gobbler yelp to my left, about 75 yards away up the ridge.

At the time I could make a decent imitation of a hen , but had no clue how to imitate a gobbler yelp. I had no idea what to do. As I stood there listening to the 2 gobblers call to each other and move slowly closer to each other, a light bulb suddenly came on in my head. I moved as quickly and quietly as I could to get between them.  They were calling frequently to each other so it wasn't hard to get directly between them as they moved closer to each other. I set up in some brush beside a small clearing directly between them, rested the shotgun on my knee, and waited. I never made a call, as they were doing all the calling and getting closer to me all the time. The first gobbler to appear in the clearing was, luckily, the one to my left. Being right - handed, I was ready for him. All I had to do was ease off the safety and pull the trigger.

I don't remember what he weighed, but he had a 10 1/2 inch beard, one of the biggest turkeys I have ever killed.

It helps to be a good caller, but sometimes just being in the right place helps a lot more than being able call good.  

Good luck to all of you this fall.

FinsnFur

Never hunted Turkey........but I did enjoy going on that lil excursion with ya :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Good hunting story Bamittybam.  You know I have no birds here but can relate as I have gone to more than a few coyote sets where I never blew a call but got coyotes anyway. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Nice story.   :congrats:

The Ambush is a good strategy in the fall.   Figure out where they are and where they want to go and just get there first. 

alscalls

Great story!   :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Three of my favorite turkey calls is .......scratching in the leaves, Beating my hat on my leg during a fly down cackle, and nothing at all...... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Great story even if it didn't have any pix.  :innocentwhistle:
:laf:

nastygunz

Quote from: Semp on August 25, 2010, 09:53:26 PM
Nice story.   :congrats:

The Ambush is a good strategy in the fall.   Figure out where they are and where they want to go and just get there first. 

I like Fall hunting way better then Spring myself...and I ambush hunt em in the fall more likely then not...I like to set up near apple trees...and wait em out...I have gotten quite a few by spotting them with a spotting scope...figuring out where they are heading and heading them off at the pass...oaks, acorns are a good bet too...the kee-kee-kee calls gets em going..I do that on my long box or with a few whistles I have....gotta love the fall :yoyo: