• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Number 3

Started by WldWldWest, April 09, 2011, 09:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

WTF, The mature birds are avoiding me! Oh well, I tried putting salt a pepper on those long beard and they still taste like Long beards :shrug: :confused:

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Hawks Feather

You now have more turkeys this year than I have in my life.  I guess it really helps when you know what you are doing - I don't, but am (or soon will) be out there looking.

Jerry

P.S.  What is that green stuff you are standing in?  Everything here is still brown.

WldWldWest

I think it helps to have a bunch of birds Jerry!

Nice thing about all that green is it gives the TICKS something to cling to while waiting on me to walk by, This was yesterday, Today I pulled 4 off of me!

!

KySongDog

Nice looking jake!  Congrats!    :congrats:

There ain't nothing wrong with taking a jake.   A jake in hand is worth two henned up gobblers hollering their heads off three ridges away.   :eyebrownod:

WldWldWest

Thanks Semp!

We had this Jake and a hen in our decoy's for 30 min or so and I kept trying to get Colt to shoot him but he wouldnt. It was funny as this bird was gobbling like crazy and he would run up and bump our Big Gobbler decoys like he wanted to fight then he finally got in behind us and wouldnt shut up. We were sitting in a 1/4 acre woodlot that is an ole 1800's cemetery in the middle of a 50 acre hayfield so it was kinda unnerving having him less than 10 yds behind us gobbling his head off so I told Colt if the turkey sat there while I turned around I was gonna spank him, Well....He did and I did! :biggrin:

!

FinsnFur

Thats more then I've got in my life too :eyebrownod: And I wouldnt even be able to tell ya the difference between a Jake and a Tom :shrug:

Nice work Doug :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

:confused:  Well you sucker... thought you were going to be out of town...   Congrats on the 3rd for this year!   :highclap:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 10, 2011, 12:01:21 AM
And I wouldn't even be able to tell ya the difference between a Jake and a Tom :shrug:

On a tom, the fan is rounded like in this picture:

Notice the fan on Doug's bird in the first post.  The middle feathers stick up a little higher than the rest of the fan.

Also, a jake usually has a shorter beard than a tom (usually less than 6 inches) and usually has bumps for spurs and has a smaller body.    In the field I usually look for a short beard to know if it is a tom or jake unless he struts and then I can see the uneven fan.   

WldWldWest

Quote from: Yotehntr on April 10, 2011, 12:08:31 AM
:confused:  Well you sucker... thought you were going to be out of town...   Congrats on the 3rd for this year!   :highclap:

That Bird was killed on fri Brad, I didnt hunt Sat. since I went to see my Mom. So Why I gotta be a Sucker???

And why didnt you call last night and I woulda taken your worthless self today.....Sucker!?!? :biggrin:

!

WldWldWest

Quote from: Semp on April 10, 2011, 06:15:19 AM
Quote from: FinsnFur on April 10, 2011, 12:01:21 AM
And I wouldn't even be able to tell ya the difference between a Jake and a Tom :shrug:

On a tom, the fan is rounded like in this picture:

Notice the fan on Doug's bird in the first post.  The middle feathers stick up a little higher than the rest of the fan.

Also, a jake usually has a shorter beard than a tom (usually less than 6 inches) and usually has bumps for spurs and has a smaller body.    In the field I usually look for a short beard to know if it is a tom or jake unless he struts and then I can see the uneven fan.   

Does that mean I'm a Jake? Sorry, I couldnt help it :biggrin:

!

HaMeR

Way to go Doug!! Nothing wrong with that Jake at all. I have one on the wall too. Congratulations on another fine hunt.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

How many are you allowed? Are you hunting different States?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

Quote from: HaMeR on April 10, 2011, 06:44:19 AM
Way to go Doug!! Nothing wrong with that Jake at all. I have one on the wall too. Congratulations on another fine hunt.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

How many are you allowed? Are you hunting different States?
Thanks! We can kill 4 statewide and more on WMA's.

Number 4 may had hit the ground this morning had I not left my Shotguns shell's at home :doh2: Nothing like getting up at 4am to ride 30miles with gas at $7.00 a gal to find out ya dont even have a stick to throw at the critters!!! I aint happy :argh:

!

HaMeR

:shock2: SEVEN DOLLARS A GALLON??????????????

:rolleye: I've done those things myself man. It sucks but you'll laugh about it later I'm sure. I'm still waiting for the 18th & hoping I can get out & chase em some.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Congrats WWW a turkey is a turkey nothing wrong with shooting a jake. :congrats:

FinsnFur

Thats interesting thanks. Is a Jake a youngster then or what?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Yes Jim you are correct Sir.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Hey Wendy!! How many of these birds you called in with a scratch box?? Inquiring minds want to know.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: WldWldWest on April 10, 2011, 07:11:13 AM

Number 4 may had hit the ground this morning had I not left my Shotguns shell's at home :doh2: Nothing like getting up at 4am to ride 30miles with gas at $7.00 a gal to find out ya dont even have a stick to throw at the critters!!! I aint happy :argh:

:alscalls:   I've done that same thing except while bow hunting.  Got up at 0-dark thirty, grabbed my gear and tree stand, drove 25 miles, got out of the truck and then realized I left my bow at home.    :doh2:

Yotehntr

Quote from: WldWldWest on April 10, 2011, 06:17:43 AM

:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:   No Doug... from the pics we see your very round...   :alscalls:     :hahaha:   Maybe we should call you 2 Tom.    :laugh2:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

WldWldWest

Quote from: Yotehntr on April 10, 2011, 09:45:33 AM
Quote from: WldWldWest on April 10, 2011, 06:17:43 AM

:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:   No Doug... from the pics we see your very round...   :alscalls:     :hahaha:   Maybe we should call you 2 Tom.    :laugh2:

Semps reply said a jake was 6 inches or less so I thought I might be one! SmartAss! :biggrin:

!

weedwalker

Way to go Doug!!! :congrats: :congrats: When they're laying there next to the taters & gravy you can't tell the difference between a jake and a tom anyway. :nono: