• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fall turkeys questions

Started by vvarmitr, November 26, 2008, 09:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

#1 - When the fall turkey season starts do they become nocturnal like the big bucks do?  :wo:

#2 - Do they burrow into the ground during the day so you can't spot them in the woods when the snow is on the ground?  :confused:

#3 - They don't fly south, do they?  :shrug:

#4 - Can they turn white like ptarmigans do? I have seen pix of white turkeys right here on this board .  :holdon:

#5 - If I can camouflage my 10ga to look like a squirrel rifle would they come out & walk all around me again?  :madd:

Silencer

more than likely the feeding patterns changed.  Gotta find where they moved to feed.  When you do get into em, you're gonna get into a big bunch. 

Keep at em !!

KySongDog

Quote from: vvarmitr on November 26, 2008, 09:16:32 AM
#1 - When the fall turkey season starts do they become nocturnal like the big bucks do?  :wo:

#2 - Do they burrow into the ground during the day so you can't spot them in the woods when the snow is on the ground?  :confused:

#3 - They don't fly south, do they?  :shrug:

#4 - Can they turn white like ptarmigans do? I have seen pix of white turkeys right here on this board .  :holdon:

#5 - If I can camouflage my 10ga to look like a squirrel rifle would they come out & walk all around me again?  :madd:

#1- Yes, they only become active around midnight.

#2- Yes, look for holes resembling coyote dens.

#3- Yes, they always keep the hunter north of their location.  Sometimes they fly south and sometimes they walk south.

#4- Yes, they have the same abilities as chameleons. If it snows they turn white to match the surroundings.

#5- Yes, but you must continually look UP in to the trees so they will think you are really looking for a squirrel.

I learned all of the above the hard way after many years of hunting the elusive gobbler.  Hope I've helped you some, VV.

alscalls

#1 NO
#2 NO
#3 NO
#4 NO
#5 Could

I find that turkeys are not likely to be in the same areas in the fall as they are in the spring.
You must spend your time finding them and If you can bust them up in different directions then set up near that spot and wait about a half hour and call them back.......They will be looking for one another and you will usually hear them calling first.
They are probably spending more time on the roost than normal right now due to pressure.
Right now I would go to my favorite white oak and see if they have been feeding there. :eyebrow:
TRICK: If you spot a group of turkeys and you think you will never get at them try mouse distress!!!!!! Go to rabbit dist. if no response. Sometimes , not always but sometimes they will come a running to get some protein......Not kidding
This is a desperate hale Mary tactic but it does sometimes work. Ever seen chickens tear apart a mouse :eyebrow: Same kinda deal. :wink:
Hang in there VV and find em, that is half the battle.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

I seen turkeys on my farms right up to the time I bought my tag. Then ZAP  they're gone!  :argh:
I see 'em crossing the road in front of me, on land were I can't get permission to hunt, etc, etc.  :madd:  Before that they were everywhere I went.   :pout:

Another question: Is it sporting to shoot 'em on the ground or do you have to flush 'em like a grouse & shoot 'em on the wing?  :confused:  I was just wondering because that 10ga weighs 11# & I might be a little slow getting it up & going, but Lawdy, what a follow through!   :eyebrow:

Thanks for helping me guys.  Especially the tip about looking up like I'm squirrel hunting. I gotta remember that one!  ;yes;

KySongDog

Quote from: vvarmitr on November 27, 2008, 07:57:39 AM
I seen turkeys on my farms right up to the time I bought my tag. Then ZAP  they're gone!  :argh:
I see 'em crossing the road in front of me, on land were I can't get permission to hunt, etc, etc.  :madd:  Before that they were everywhere I went.   :pout:

Another question: Is it sporting to shoot 'em on the ground or do you have to flush 'em like a grouse & shoot 'em on the wing?  :confused:  I was just wondering because that 10ga weighs 11# & I might be a little slow getting it up & going, but Lawdy, what a follow through!   :eyebrow:

Thanks for helping me guys.  Especially the tip about looking up like I'm squirrel hunting. I gotta remember that one!  ;yes;

Welcome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting.  What you are going through is typical.  I think turkeys know when the season comes in and adjust accordingly.  :biggrin:

As for your question, I always shoot them on the ground.  It is illegal to shoot a turkey on the roost in Kentucky.  As for flushing them and shooting on the wing, don't do it.  You might kill one but most probably will wound it and it'll fly off and die somewhere.   The only good spot to shoot a turkey is the head and neck area.

Good hunting, VV! 

nastygunz

Up here in the fall the birds are not in the fields at all you hunt them in the oaks cuz they are all over the acorns...and apples....but we hunt the oak ridges....totally different in the spring hunt then they are out in the fields looking for love not food.