• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What would you have done

Started by Bills Custom Calls, January 29, 2011, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

Blackfish and I went out for a few stands today,sorry no pics forgot the camera.The first stand was at a place we scouted back in Late Nov, we seen fresh sign then and figured we would wait for some snow to call this spot.
The first thing I noticed when I got out of the truck was the wind was light and right,as we were getting ready we discussed our set up and sure sounded good.Found some tracks from last night had a bit of fresh snow in them We made our walk back a gas well road until we came to a Y in the road Blackfish went left and I went right and the wind stayed good I done the calling started off with a rabbit distress and threw in a couple barks and then tried my best dog running a rabbit then the wind shifted and started blowing right up the holler.we broke stand and went on to find another spot every spot we went the wind was blowing the wrong direction so we just kept moving on.
Stand 2
Driving along a gravel/ice road we cam up to the spot where blackfish hunted deer years ago so we stopped to take a look see.The wind was light coming from the East on top of this ridge the ridge line ran West and then made a loop to the north I wanted to call to the N This spot sure looked good,so we get the shotguns and head in to the woods walking towards the west the first thing I see are this mornings coyote tracks I find a good spot and set down and Blackfish goes on out and loops to the North and finds a spot where he can see down 2 different ravines
Blackfish don't like to call so I started off with a few barks from the E.L.K. power howler and then a few from one of my lil' open reed calls then a few yips from each and then hit the rabbit distress back and fourth for about 5 minutes then took a break for a couple minutes started back up with a few yips and barks when about 150 yards out I see movement in the hardwoods head up the hill towards where blackfish was setting they went up the hill about 40 yards then come back down I had done a few more yips then went to lip squeaks for a couple minutes then never seen them again.
Our signal  was owl hoot when we were ready to break stand so after waiting about 10 minutes after I was done calling and no more movement I hooted and waited for blackfish to come back over and I decided not to say anything about seeing something run up the hill to him and the first thing he said was did you see it and let him explain
The wind never shifted on this stand I am thinking I was seen but I am not sure why the coyotes didn't go on up to Blackfish they were heading up the hill trying to get down wind from me but must have seen him too
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

pitw

A lot less calling is what I do :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.