• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What do you do to bring home the bacon?

Started by Bob D, August 02, 2006, 08:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

I know what some of the members do for a living on this forum, so what kind of work do the rest of you do ?
Bob

canine

Self employed concrete business here Bob. Mostly driveways, basement floors, polebarns and some decorative colored pours. Also do concrete overlays, giving existing concrete a new look.

In the winter I bring home the deer meat for food and shoot coyotes for the camera!!

JD

Rick223

Im a printer I print meat and cheese packaging,like hotdog wrappers, lunch meat, cheese bags,bird bags all kinds of stuff. :biggrin:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

FinsnFur

Independant Contractor by trade; Wick buildings, ag buildings, free stalls, milking parlors, new homes. Been working construction since I was 15. Been self employed 13 years...took a year in the middle there and went to work for Cabela's...that didn't work.

And of course there's the tannery, been doing that for 12 years.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yellerdog

I own a small Tool & Die business. I've been in Tool and die since I graduated high school in 1982. I started my own shop in 1990 and have been self employed since.
My wife and I also started a self storage business two years ago on our property that the Tool & Die business is on. So far so good with that. We have two 4000 square foot storage buildings and plan on a third in the spring.

stevecriner

General contractor for homes and have a roofing,hardwood floors, and trim business
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

FinsnFur

Is there as good  money as people say in those storage buildings Lee?
I know thay are getting real popular.
I've contemplated throwing some figures together to put one up. Land would be a problem for me.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Yellerdog

Jim,
If you are in a good location and the market is not saturated, it is a very good business to be in.
Right now the rental income pays the mortgage on the property, the orginal building and the two storage buildings. We're at 65% occupancy and should be near 90% by winter. At that point we will have additional cash flow to live off of. Any more buildings we add will generate more than twice what they add to the payment. We hope to have eight or possibly even more buildings on the property in the next ten years. The best part is the value of an income property when it's all done.
If the opportunity presents itself for you, by all means, do it.
I can give you some pointers on getting started and tell you some things we've learned if you do decide to try it at some point.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

keekee

I run the Maint Dept And Changeover Dept for Pepsi Cola bottling plant here local. Been here for 13 years or so now.

I also manage and help my dad run a construction deal.

I started building turkey calls back in the early 90's and built a good business then sold out to a bigger company. I then started over in the Predator call end of the business. In the last couple years I have been building the company and expanded into video's, and other deals. I am trying to make a go of this now.

I also guide some in the hunting seasons.

Brent

Todd Rahm

Shift Supervisor in the "Adult Day Care" business for the state of Alaska. Signed on for the week on, week off schedule and the 20 year retirement, which means only eight years to go. Anything else with the job, to include pay, is a bonus to me.

My part time sometimes full time job is predator call collecting.  :innocentwhistle:

RagnCajn

I work on downhole oilwell pumps. Started when I was 16 and working summers. Got tired of working the hours and drawing a salary. Opened my own business doing the same in 93. My son just graduated and is working with me. That is probably the highlight of my career.
"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at."

Brad H

Tool pusher on a directional oil drilling rig. We go into existing straight holes and drill out the short radius laterals. They run anywhere from 1000 to 5000 ft.

It's a 24 hr operation. I'm out there for 7 days, then off for 7. I'm responsible for three 4 man crews and all the equipment.

The majority of the cash coming in is going to upgrades. This rig I work on is one of the first lateral rigs that went to work in the Williston Basin. Up untill a just recently, we've been getting by on the mostly the same old junk that was origionally pieced together for the beginning project. Now I have at my disposal not one, but two, brand new $500,000 pumps. Upgrades are continuous. The oil companies are continualy adding to their drilling budget with new holes weather it be a known formation or a wildcat explotation project.  Hands are far and few between so the competition is outrageous, meaning wages are going up, meaning the average oil field worker is finally getting paid for his time and effort. That's just a tiny bit of what I see every day. I've been biting my tongue for quite some time on the ol gas price subject, this will be the last I have to say on it.

Brad

Basshole

Engineering Tech here, I do mostly civil work on subdivisions and commercial property and every now and then I'll get a side job doing some structural work.  So I have to take a beautiful piece of hunting ground and turn it into something to accomodate the masses, the only plus side is I now know so many of the developers that it is never a problem to get access to new hunting/fishing ground, but one day that will all be gone as well. :rolleye:

Bob D

I've been in construction in one form or another for 30 years. I am a homebuilder and home inspector. Business has been good in the past years but things are slowing down due to the higher interest rates and increasing costs for about everything but profit. I have a partner in land development who is also a home builder and we are in our 4 th subdivision.
Bob

Rich Cronk

Retired Police detective here. My check is deposited in the bank electronically. Just  yesterday I received notice of my yearly raise. I tell the wife it is a merit raise.  :wink:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

CCP

I posted this before so I cut and pasted it here

I work with Geographical informational systems or GIS for short.I map power transmission lines,I drive around  in a four wheel drive with a laptop,GPS and laser and mark every pole and meters position on a map.Only thing exciting is I get to climb a lot of hills and mud ride almost daily.I also see lots of wild life.

I just started in the GIS field I was a Plumber for 21 years prior
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Rick223

Hey ccp are they hirin I could use a job like that :biggrin:
Rick
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle