• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

#@%....$%^&%#@

Started by 5 SHOTS, August 31, 2011, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 SHOTS

Two weeks ago I told our mechanic the truck sounded like it had a manifold gasket leaking. We went and looked everything over and found.....nothing. Last week I told him it was getting worse and he listened and looked it over and found...... yep, same thing. He said "run it until it blows, then we will see what caused the noise". This week I am almost home, (400 miles or so) and it suddenly sounds like the Jake brake came on during a good pull up a hill. Then the truck started shaking violently and then the computer shut it down. I coasted off to the side and looked. I found the problem this time.....

Looks to me like I dropped a valve. Either way, the head it gone. Now I'm sitting here using bootleg wifi to post while they bring the "loaner truck" and tow this one in for a new head or possibly a new motor. Good thing it is still under warranty.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

fuzz269

That sucks man, but thankfully ya still got warinty left on it

iahntr

Scott

5 SHOTS

It is a company truck but, I still get stuck with "the loaner" until it gets fixed. The boss was just saying a few days ago that he figured it would be hard to find a good motor for less than $25,000. I hope this one is toast so they have to replace the whole thing under warranty.  :innocentwhistle:

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

I cant believe they told you to run it till she blows :confused:
It must be pretty cheap to chase a truck across the country and tow one back. :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I am not a mechanic, but I think I can see the problem.  Just put a little JB Weld on it and it will be as good as new.    :wink:

Jerry

Todd Rahm

:alscalls: Thats funny Jerry, but I think they have a new spray on the infomertials that ya just spray on to seal it up.  :alscalls:

riverboss

I saw that stuff also its supose to fix anything! :alscalls:

Roundman

Damn mechanics! You just can't trust them.  :argh:

Bopeye

Ouch!! Glad you are okay.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

5 SHOTS

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 01, 2011, 05:17:57 AM
I cant believe they told you to run it till she blows :confused:

They knew it was under warranty and figured I was just hearing things. Besides, I'm sure he was just joking with me. I am willing to bet he doesn't use those same words around me anymore though.

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 01, 2011, 05:17:57 AM
It must be pretty cheap to chase a truck across the country and tow one back. :doh2:

He only had to drag the loaner 408 miles, then drag the dead one 267 miles to the Cummins shop. He seemed happy to play with his toy. This isn't the one he has but the same principle.
( His is much fancier). And the truck he has reserved to pull it with is a show truck that hasn't been to any shows yet.

http://www.towyourown.com/model_10_fifth_wheel_wrecker.html

Quote from: Bopeye on September 01, 2011, 07:47:34 PM
Ouch!! Glad you are okay.

I was in the driver seat when the motor (under the hood) went to pieces. There is so much electronic junk in the dash that I think I would have been safe even if a mushroom cloud had rolled up from under the hood. :rolleye: :laugh2:

coyotehunter_1

Mighty expensive scrap metal, I would say.  :shock2:

Made in China? :huh:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bills Custom Calls

I was told by cummins that they just don't drop valves after I fixed that a few months later dropped a push tube same motor different head different cylinder poked a hole in the block when I ordered those parts I was told again cummins just don't do that it is totally  unheard of  but as I talked with other folks who are running those motors I found out it is pretty common for that to happen although they will try and say the driver was over tacking the motor that is the only way that can happen
So yes Art what I am trying to say is IT IS YOU FAULT                         :alscalls:        :alscalls:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Yeah Art...it is you fault  :laf: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

The mechanic said 1 roller had stuck and ate into the cam. He didn't notice any welding marks though.

5 SHOTS

I got the truck back 2 weeks ago now. It purrs like a kitten and don't use any oil now. They opened it up and found the pistons had dents from the valves, from the cam not turning after it broke, so they decided to rebuild it. They used the old block and crank, everything else is new. New rods, pistons, liners, bearings, cams and new head. It used oil from the day it was new but that is cured now too. The down side is that with a new motor the boss will NOT trade off the "old wore out junk" in the spring. I won't get a new truck for a few years now. Most likely be 2014 or so.

FinsnFur

It's practically new anyway...on the inside. Didnt your Mom ever tell you it's whats on the inside that counts? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

And she has a nice personality right??  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

5 SHOTS

:laugh2: :laugh2: OK the motor is new but the rest of the truck has 470,000 miles on it, and gains over 3,000 miles every week. Even with it in the shop for 2 weeks, I have already put 20,000 miles on it since I started work there.

I still wonder why a truck can run up to 1,000,000 miles before it needs an overhaul, but a car is doing good to make about 200,000.