• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Trout Magnets

Started by msmith, January 03, 2021, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msmith

Anybody use these?

I have been using them for a several years now and if I don't have anything else I know I'm still gonna have fun.

Not only are they great for trout, they are my go to for bluegill, rockbass, kentucky spotted, and perch. They work great for crappie too but when I get in to a school of crappie I switch over to...Crappie Magnets. Same thing only a little bigger.

90% of the time I use a float, also by Trout Magnet, set the depth and cast. In whitewater trout streams I just let it float and the waves give it a jigging motion. In lakes when I target bluegill, redear, and perch, I cast out and let it sit a few seconds then give it a pop, sit, pop, sit pop. Works good.

I'm getting stoked to hit the trout streams and lake fishing for gills, crappie, and perch.  :eyebrow:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

I use them on a fly rod and they are deadly!  Also an ultra light pole with a Thingamabobber float.  The float technique that you use with trout magnets can also be used with flies so you can fly fish with a spinning rod.

msmith

Quote from: nastygunz on January 03, 2021, 11:53:43 PM
I use them on a fly rod and they are deadly!  Also an ultra light pole with a Thingamabobber float.  The float technique that you use with trout magnets can also be used with flies so you can fly fish with a spinning rod.

My son likes to fly fish (I haven't practiced with my fly rod much) and uses a mini magnet. I hadn't thought about using a float to fly fish with a spinning reel.

Trout Magnet also has some rods and rod/reel combos that are great for trout and panfish. The Trout Slayer is very nice and very light. The SLS (sore lip series) is also a solid rod. I have had both and use the latter just because Ima cheap ol fart and tight as bark on a tree.

I just wish they had stayed in WV and not moved to Arkansas. However, they are in the same town as where my Punkin Pie goes to college so I am going to place an order and pick it up in person this week, when we drop off Punkin, to avoid shipping. Might have to hit the Little Red for some trout action while I'm there.  :eyebrow:

Last time I fished the Little Red. A couple of Rainbows

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

Those are some unusual looking rainbows with all that speckling on them, good looking fish.

nastygunz

There's also a bunch of different kinds of what we call casting floats so you can use water to adjust the weight of it so you can cast a lot further.

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on January 04, 2021, 08:11:54 AM
Those are some unusual looking rainbows with all that speckling on them, good looking fish.

The spots on the back have kind of a cutthroat look to them.  Very nice trout.

I have caught probably thousands of trout with a casting bubble and flies with a light spin rod.  That is main way I fished during my first 20 years in British Columbia, though I gradually switched more to a fly rod. But in some lakes the only way to reach the trout with a fly is with something that will cast a lot farther than a fly rod. 

Have never used a Trout Magnet and had to look it up to find out what we are talking about.  I'm hankering to go trout fishing in a lake a friend told me about and will see if I can find a trout magnet to try. 

msmith

I use Trout Magnets all of the time but have never used them in a lake for trout, just panfish and small bass. In lakes I tend to gravitate towards spinners and Rapalas
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

On lakes  I like to use a casting bubble full of water hook on a big night crawler and cast that thing a mile and let it sit 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟.  The little river behind that old General store is known for its monster brown trout.