• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bobcat

Started by Okanagan, March 06, 2022, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Grandson knocked on my door this morning and asked if I could help him skin a bobcat he'd killed.

He'd been out shooting and sighting in his .223 and had started driving toward home when the bobcat crossed the road in front of him.  He stopped and the big tom stood out in the woods looking at him.  It was gone by the time he got his rifle out ready to shoot, but he walked a bit looking for it and saw it again, looking at him.  He killed it with one shot, under 50 yards if I recall.  Smashed right shoulder and innards, but small entry and exit. 

Male, 23.34 lbs.

Zay skinning the feet and keeping the claws on.  I skinned one foot and he did the other three.

Hawks Feather

Nice looking bobcat. I have not seen any around my area, but have been lucky enough to see a couple when we have been in other states. Neat animals.

FinsnFur

Shoulda yelled oders and drank beer [emoji23]

Nice little harvest. Always liked those bobcat pelts.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

We left the feet unskinned till last.  We cut off each foot at a joint above and let the lower leg bone and unskinned foot stay in/with the hide.  Once the whole hide was free, we tied each leg bone up so we could pull down on the hide as we skinned each foot.  That's been the most efficient way for me to do it.

Zay did half of the inside mouth cuts to start and I did the seams on the hind legs.  He did the front legs, at least half of skinning the body, plus one ear and both eyes.  I skinned one foot and retired to someplace warm.   :laf:  Using a Phillips screwdriver and X-acto knife, he was faster than I was at doing feet with claws.   He skinned the other three and then he fleshed off the larger chunks of meat and fat before freezing the hide in a thin flat bundle.  We still have to turn the ears, split the lips and flesh the hide.

nastygunz

ORDERS!..... :innocentwhistle:

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 07, 2022, 05:36:49 AM
Shoulda yelled oders and drank beer [emoji23]

Nice little harvest. Always liked those bobcat pelts.

Todd Rahm

Those are the kind of knocks on the door, that grandfathers can’t get enough of.

remrogers

Bobcat season ended Feb 15 and all pelts need to be tagged, by WG&F within twenty days of the end of the season. Good that was on the 15th, but get it tagged.

https://mountainlion.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/WA-A-WDFW-2002-2003-Furbearer-Trapping-Seasons-and-Rules-pamphlet.pdf

nastygunz

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on March 08, 2022, 11:29:27 AM
Did you eat it?

My God, please don't answer that if you did.

Okanagan

Quote from: Todd Rahm on March 08, 2022, 07:57:26 AM
Those are the kind of knocks on the door, that grandfathers can’t get enough of.

:yoyo: The best of grandfatherhood!

Okanagan

Did you eat it?

Nope, not this one.  We've eaten other bobcats.  There is a little more to this story, :innocentwhistle: a delay in retrieving.  The cat went several hours without gutting and we decided not to eat it though it seemed fresh and unspoiled.  Cold weather.

As Zay walked out in the woods to look for the cat after he shot, a homeowner saw his rig parked on the road edge and came out to talk to him about hunting there.  It's not a good place to hunt as it is getting into the edge of scattered houses, even though it is legal.  Zay told him he'd seen a bobcat cross the road, that it was an opportunity rather than coming there to hunt and they parted cordially.  Apparently the guy did not hear the shot, only saw Zay's vehicle.  Zay did not tell him was sure he had killed the cat.  Zay drove off and came back after dark.  He walked out to where the cat had been standing at the shot and found it with a flashlight. 

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 08, 2022, 03:02:44 PM
Did you eat it?

Pulled bobcat with barbecue sauce in taco shells :puke:  Tasty, but I noticed some of the cousins did not try it at last year's annual antler party!

nastygunz

Yumm, he should have told the concerned citizen that he just saw a bigfoot run across the road ha ha.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 08, 2022, 03:02:44 PM
Did you eat it?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I almost moistened the keyboard there

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

As always, great write-up and great pictures.  Tell Zay I said congratulations.

P.S.  Bobcat tastes just okay, Lion is great.  When we do a BBQ with Bobcat or Lion we never tell people what it is until the meal is over.  Somebody always will say what was the meat, it was great?   I enjoy watching the expressions on their face when they find out
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Ditto to the taste of cougar and bobcat.  If you can evade the mental reservations, cougar is really GOOD.

Remrogers, Washington State bobcat season for hunting closed on March 15 this year, 2022.  Good reminder on getting the pelt sealed.