• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Nanny coyote

Started by 1snafu, July 06, 2022, 10:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1snafu

In my early years of hunting coyotes. I never paid much attention to their inherent behaviors. Other than them not seeing, scenting or hearing me. As I closed in for a kill shot. However, the last 30yrs or so I found it more interesting in just observing them. In their natural setting unmolested from being shot or chased by hounds, ect.

I have killed some here & there over my latter years. But most all of them I just observed from long range. Via my spotter scope/binoc. As I watched singles, pairs & family groups. Hunt/travel & interact amongst themselves as well as a trespasser.

Some behaviors I've seen. I only seen once or just a few times. Other behaviors I have seen many times. Take how they lay according to wind & wind speed & use terrain for examples. For most spot/stalk coyote hunters they learn that coyote behavior early on.

Behaviors I seen only once or a few times. I have to speculate/theorize as to what & why they behave a certain way. After all, they don't tell me why.

My latter statement. I have trouble with. Why? Because it is NOT all inclusive/etched in stone/FACT. As if...ALL coyotes behave the same exact way. So thus I speculate/theorize.

Speculating/theorizing does NOT make something true in all cases. Nor does it NOT make it false in all case (behavior wise).

Getting to my point w/o further yammering. I do NOT readily take coyote "expert" opinions/findings/speculation/theorizing as FACT in all cases of a behavior.

Take the "nanny coyote" for example. I've read some opinions on that matter. As IF.... it is indeed fact. I also read where one researcher even noted it is "common". Really? says I.

I reckon I will continue in NOT believing such a behavior is true. Reason being, I have NOT read where any of those people/authors opinions. Have actually proven their "finding" Using DNA. So in summation, I believe that mindset is formed. Through speculating/theorizing. Again, some coyote behavior info comes full circle once again.

It's an enigma

1snafu

Furthermore, Scientific findings I've read on various topics. Are or have been open to "peer reviews". Because some scientists do not believe other scientists "findings" as FACT. To that, I support whole heartedly.

Okanagan

Good post.  I learn a lot more about critters when I watch them, than when I used to shoot on sight! As you said,  that's a lot more true when they don't know anyone is watching.  And I'm with you on speculating about what an animal is thinking, why it does things, or what every sound or action means.  There is nothing wrong with an educated guess based on observation but I smile at experts who pretend to know exactly what an animal is thinking and precisely what sounds mean, rather than admit they are theorizing.   

Trappers seem to know more about animals than anyone else I've met, including biologists.  I knew a predator control man one time who thought like a coyote to an amazing extent.  Normally he didn't talk much, just seemed to wander around and decide where to set a trap.  But one time driving along he said, "If I were a coyote I'd cross the road right here."  He stopped, walked down a ways and said, "I'd stop right here and look around.  Then I would go to that little hump with brush on it."  We walked to the hump, then he decided where a coyote would go from there, etc. crossing a pasture, to a fence and we came on coyote tracks in a muddy spot. That was the first proof of anything since he'd guessed where a coyote would cross the road.  He set a trap and caught a coyote there. 

1snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on July 06, 2022, 11:20:09 PMGood post.  I learn a lot more about critters when I watch them, than when I used to shoot on sight! As you said,  that's a lot more true when they don't know anyone is watching.  And I'm with you on speculating about what an animal is thinking, why it does things, or what every sound or action means.  There is nothing wrong with an educated guess based on observation but I smile at experts who pretend to know exactly what an animal is thinking and precisely what sounds mean, rather than admit they are theorizing. 

Trappers seem to know more about animals than anyone else I've met, including biologists.  I knew a predator control man one time who thought like a coyote to an amazing extent.  Normally he didn't talk much, just seemed to wander around and decide where to set a trap.  But one time driving along he said, "If I were a coyote I'd cross the road right here."  He stopped, walked down a ways and said, "I'd stop right here and look around.  Then I would go to that little hump with brush on it."  We walked to the hump, then he decided where a coyote would go from there, etc. crossing a pasture, to a fence and we came on coyote tracks in a muddy spot. That was the first proof of anything since he'd guessed where a coyote would cross the road.  He set a trap and caught a coyote there. 

Maybe once/twice a Winter. One of my older bro's drove from a neighboring state to coyote hunt with me. One of those days I spotted a pair of coyotes standing about 1/2 mile away. He said within seconds lets get permission on that land & kill them both. I told him lets just watch them for a bit. He became agitated with me. But I held my ground.

As we watched them through our binocs. The smaller of the two. Started body checking the larger one(I suspect was the male). This hunt day was during breeding season.

Anyway for about 2 minutes as he stood still staring to the East. She kept body checking him. Running her muzzle the full length of his body. She also rubbed her shoulder & body along his side. What I believe was occurring was. She was ready to mate. She kept this up for about 2 minutes.

He never moved a muscle. Finally she backed her rump up against his chest & just stood there. Still he never reacted to her. We drove away. As we left my agitated brother said, "Where are we going???" I told him when a coyote teaches me something, I let them live. We'll look for a coyote that is bedded down to kill.

I find the coyotes the most facinating of all critters. They fill me with theorys & speculation. haha

Okanagan

That's fascinating behaviour that you watched.  Wonder what was up with that male? (assuming it was a male!)

I've told this before but it fits.  One sunny Feb afternoon my wife and I saw a pair of coyotes mousing not far out in a field, and pulled over to watch them.   The larger one leaped high and pounced, and came up dangling a mouse in his front teeth.  He took the mouse to the smaller coyote and gave it to her, nose to nose.  At that point my wife kind of yelled, "Don't believe him!  He won't treat you that nice once you are married!"

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

1snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on July 07, 2022, 11:42:40 AMThat's fascinating behaviour that you watched.  Wonder what was up with that male? (assuming it was a male!)

I've told this before but it fits.  One sunny Feb afternoon my wife and I saw a pair of coyotes mousing not far out in a field, and pulled over to watch them.  The larger one leaped high and pounced, and came up dangling a mouse in his front teeth.  He took the mouse to the smaller coyote and gave it to her, nose to nose.  At that point my wife kind of yelled, "Don't believe him!  He won't treat you that nice once you are married!"

Holy smokes! Best to start out every day telling the wife, I'm sorry. Just get it over with. haha!

Wife & I were visiting a pioneer cemetery one day. I noticed most men back in the late 1800's. Died about 10 yrs before the wife. I asked my wife, "Do you know why that is? She replied, "No, why?" I told her "For the peace & quiet is why" She just glared a hole in me. So I kept quiet & went on about my business.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on July 07, 2022, 11:42:40 AMThat's fascinating behaviour that you watched.  Wonder what was up with that male? (assuming it was a male!)

I've told this before but it fits.  One sunny Feb afternoon my wife and I saw a pair of coyotes mousing not far out in a field, and pulled over to watch them.   The larger one leaped high and pounced, and came up dangling a mouse in his front teeth.  He took the mouse to the smaller coyote and gave it to her, nose to nose.  At that point my wife kind of yelled, "Don't believe him!  He won't treat you that nice once you are married!"

:laf:  :laf:  she studying behavior too.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com